The McKenzie drift boat

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice article about the history of the drift boat. I used to live in Eugene, and these characters still loom large in the fishing community.

Design-made as a river-taming fish-worthy vessel that dates back to the early 1900s, the heritage of the drift boat includes the legendary names of Cary Thomson, John and Roy West, Veltie Pruitt, Prince Helfrich, Torkel “Tom” Kaarhus, Woodie Hindman, and Keith Steele. Born and bred in Oregon’s scenically spectacular, whitewater-infested McKenzie River valley, the McKenzie River drift boat is one of Oregon’s flagship legacies, and the predecessor to the Grand Canyon dory thanks to Prince Helfrich and Keith Steele.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks for posting this. I bookmarked the link. While I have had many great trips in my 1985 Clack, I have often thought of owning a wooden boat. But, I seem to hit too many rocks on the D which resulted in having the boat refurbished last winter. Good to go for many more years, more than I will be able to row the boat so it will be handed down to my son.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks for posting this. I bookmarked the link. While I have had many great trips in my 1985 Clack, I have often thought of owning a wooden boat. But, I seem to hit too many rocks on the D which resulted in having the boat refurbished last winter. Good to go for many more years, more than I will be able to row the boat soowned 3 Clack's it will be handed down to my son.
x2, love Clacks, have owned 3, including an 85' High Side which proved more than once in tight boulder ridden conditions...

1701363634210.png

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Were the boats Glen Wooldridge built to first float the Rogue back in the early 1900's different then the McKenzie boats?
SF

Walove

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
The wet fly swing podcast has some good episodes on the history of Oregon drift boats. If I remember correctly the Rogue boats had a flat section of bottom where the McKenzie had a continuous rocker front to back.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
x2, love Clacks, have owned 3, including an 85' High Side which proved more than once in tight boulder ridden conditions...

View attachment 92869
Mine is an 85 High Side. Got me through Whitehorse for a number of years but now I focus on the lower river. Packing for a lower D steelhead trip in September. Second trip for the boat. Sorry for the thread hijack…
IMG_2670.jpeg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Mine is an 85 High Side. Got me through Whitehorse for a number of years but now I focus on the lower river. Packing for a lower D steelhead trip in September. Second trip for the boat. Sorry for the thread hijack…
View attachment 92890
even the same color as my 85! Only noticeable difference I mounted a low back tractor style rowing seat. Mine saw a whole lotta days on OR coastal rivers drifting for post-tidewater Kings and winter steelhead.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks for posting this. I bookmarked the link. While I have had many great trips in my 1985 Clack, I have often thought of owning a wooden boat. But, I seem to hit too many rocks on the D which resulted in having the boat refurbished last winter. Good to go for many more years, more than I will be able to row the boat so it will be handed down to my son.
Seems like a guy with your handle should be rowing an "Eastside". 😎

My brother had one of their wood boats built in Duval. It didn't get the required maintenance and ended up on a bonfire.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I brought a Woodie Hindman double ender back into solidity back in 2019. The coat-it on the bottom was cracked and degraded, and there were a couple of rotten/soft spots on the sides. It's doable for someone with average carpentry skills, and willing to make a lot of noise and sanding dust. It's really river-worthy, having been on the Sandy, Deschutes, and Grand Ronde. Only gripe is that with the pointy stern, it's hard to hang a trolling motor on it for lakes.
GR Float Renner.jpg