NFR "The Hypocrite" TGR film about advocacy/fossil fuels/Outdoor State

Non-fishing related
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Actual photo of WW. He buys used, so that the rest of us may sin. Bless him.

View attachment 104600
Possible photo of Waylon/William, who sayeth the words of Kris:

Don’t ever cuss that fiddle, boys,
Unless you want that fiddle out of tune.
That picker there in trouble, boys,
Ain’t nothin but another side of you.
If we ever get to heaven, boys,
It ain’t because we ain’t done nothin wrong.
We’re in this gig together so let’s
Settle down and steal each other’s songs

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Possible photo of Waylon/William, who sayeth the words of Kris:

Don’t ever cuss that fiddle, boys,
Unless you want that fiddle out of tune.
That picker there in trouble, boys,
Ain’t nothin but another side of you.
If we ever get to heaven, boys,
It ain’t because we ain’t done nothin wrong.
We’re in this gig together so let’s
Settle down and steal each other’s songs

I love it when people try to say, "We're all in this together." No we're not. The people that say that are trying to get you to give something up "for the greater good". Funny thing is it's generally not good for the greater just worse for you. And so it goes. Always be suspicious of anyone claiming to be in your boat or you in their boat. It's a ploy to use your provisions instead of theirs, or they simply haven't taken the time to procure any.

"The most idealistic and altruistic people I know are the laziest on the commune."

D. Chromers

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I love it when people try to say, "We're all in this together." No we're not. The people that say that are trying to get you to give something up "for the greater good". Funny thing is it's generally not good for the greater just worse for you. And so it goes. Always be suspicious of anyone claiming to be in your boat or you in their boat. It's a ploy to use your provisions instead of theirs, or they simply haven't taken the time to procure any.

"The most idealistic and altruistic people I know are the laziest on the commune."

D. Chromers
Very cynical and very true.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter

D. Chromers
Always drink their beer first.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter

D. Chromers
yep, few things more ludicrous than a billionaire telling the 'common' folks he's in the fight for them...as if

Zoran

Steelhead
If, whoever filmed this movie, donates 1$ for every word "like" they used in it, climate change will be significantly slowed down. Maybe even eliminated ... :cool:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
If we are talking about Sound Transit light rail (ST3), that was approved based on a three county vote. King, Snohomish and Pierce.
King and Snohomish approved it, Pierce rejected it. It’s ok though, blame it all on the cesspool Seattle voters. 😂
SF
Sure, why not lay blame...🤔

Honestly though have ya noticed that when it comes to exiting King County into Pierce County, ST3 suddenly has planning, zoning and funding issues ?? Same when it attempts to move anywhere east , west, or north of the city ??

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I think there are lots of options, but the question is cost related.

View attachment 104265

I'm all for light rail, but I think work from home is much more realistic. The technology is there. The main obstacles seem to be old school corporate think(culture/ management) and the value of commercial office spaces. There are very few office jobs that can't be done from

The windmills go where there is wind. There are a lot uglier things in Seattle than windmills. Denver has windmills in more visible areas because there is a lot of wind there. Putting them in Seattle makes zero sense. "I don't want to look at it" is a weak argument and I am glad it is losing. I don't like looking at oil refineries yet I have to regularly.
So, there are city friendly, building specific (add on) wind power generators. Berlin, NYC, SanJuan PR, San Francisco, Kuala Lumpur, are all either using them small scale or experimenting with implementation. Most fit the edges of the taller rooves and are low profile.

Reactions: Zak

Landlocked

Steelhead
Yeah, it takes plenty of gas to help produce some $1500 DPS carbon fiber skis and some Black Diamond skins to fit. Same goes for whatever newest stick Sage, Winston, T&T, Echo etc… we are buying. If we don’t like it, go figure out how to bend some boards outa ash and kill a few muskrat for skins. Or tenkarra it with a switch of hemlock and a bone hook.

We’re all consumers. But, I bet about 2% of us get to burn jet fuel in a heli to get our lines, or live the lavish TGR lifestyle their “sponsored” athletes promote. Kudos to them for owning this. But, in the end, they pimp out the frantic climb to the top, where awaits the heli trips, all the latest Patagucci duds (sorry Yvonne, Yvarde, Yknow… whatever Yer name is, you’re part of the problem despite your “stewardship”). It’s a consumer world, and will be till it’s not. Dough drives it, and the biggest margins of dough are driven by pumping stuff like the TGR lifestyle, going way back. We’ve been conditioned, think early Warren Miller flicks. Genies been outa the bottle for decades. No going back now. I’m as much of a culprit as anyone.

fatbillybob

Steelhead
I’m sure you all know this, but it was news to me. The whole idea of “carbon footprint” really took off via a marketing campaign from BP. The whole idea was to take the spotlight off them and make “us” feel guilty. Like I said, probably old news but it blew my mind.

This video made by this group is doing the same identity politics they accuse the petroleum industry. They are worse than hypocrite they are disingenuous. They call out the petroleum industry like it is us against them. Let's assume the 2 projects the Indian commercial of the 70's and carbon footprint are from big oil. Why does this group assume that big oil is deflecting and making us guilty in the process of increase pollution and carbon. Why can't big oil put these projects out there implying we are all part of the problem and once the little guy realizes that he can decide if he is going helicopter skiing or leave his Styrofoam worm container at the side of the river? Maybe the real problem of no solution is extreme views of identity politics where different groups only shout at each other?

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'll raise my hand. I've been burning fuel to catch endangered snake river steelhead.

If only you could make a video about how guilty you feel for social media clout and save the planet and steelhead. Isn't that how it works? Probably not but at least you get to signal your virtue. I'll give you a stunning and raise you a brave.

SSPey

loco alto!
This video made by this group is doing the same identity politics they accuse the petroleum industry. They are worse than hypocrite they are disingenuous. They call out the petroleum industry like it is us against them. Let's assume the 2 projects the Indian commercial of the 70's and carbon footprint are from big oil. Why does this group assume that big oil is deflecting and making us guilty in the process of increase pollution and carbon. Why can't big oil put these projects out there implying we are all part of the problem and once the little guy realizes that he can decide if he is going helicopter skiing or leave his Styrofoam worm container at the side of the river? Maybe the real problem of no solution is extreme views of identity politics where different groups only shout at each other?

It is different because big oil actively and aggressively lied to the public on this issue. They knew fully of the climate threat of fossil fuels, their own scientists were on it since the 1970s. Yet their PR machine lied for decades and decades, said there was no threat, they lied about it to our elected leaders to oppose legislation and keep getting their tax cuts, to keep funding their oil wars in the middle east. Really awful evil stuff, for our country, and for the world. They’re also uniquely capitalized and positioned to do something about the problem, to work on alternatives, yet instead they used their resources to deny and deflect, to actively lie to us.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
they lied about it to our elected leaders to oppose legislation and keep getting their tax cuts, to keep funding their oil wars in the middle east. Really awful evil stuff, for our country, and for the world. They’re also uniquely capitalized and positioned to do something about the problem, to work on alternatives, yet instead they used their resources to deny and deflect, to actively lie to us.
I don't think they lied to politicians at all. Maybe in front of the camera.

- senate has to confirm leaders of all these different organizations
- leaders of these organizations either come from or eventually go to the exact industries they are supposed to be regulating.
- said warriors of keeping the earth safe through regulation make tons of coin, and further support politicians and their campaigns

And the cycle continues.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don't think they lied to politicians at all. Maybe in front of the camera.

- senate has to confirm leaders of all these different organizations
- leaders of these organizations either come from or eventually go to the exact industries they are supposed to be regulating.
- said warriors of keeping the earth safe through regulation make tons of coin, and further support politicians and their campaigns

And the cycle continues.
Which brings us back to the very premise of the film: systemic change to break the cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.