NFR "The Hypocrite" TGR film about advocacy/fossil fuels/Outdoor State

Non-fishing related
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
The only correlation I was making was that if we only blame the very worst offenders instead of us all taking responsibility then we are truly hypocrites. I guess to put it even shorter, picking on the rich is wrong and flawed thinking.

“Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me. They possess and enjoy early, and it does something to them, makes them soft where we are hard, and cynical where we are trustful, in a way that, unless you were born rich, it is very difficult to understand. They think, deep in their hearts, that they are better than we are because we had to discover the compensations and refuges of life for ourselves. Even when they enter deep into our world or sink below us, they still think that they are better than we
are. They are different. ”​

― F. Scott Fitzgerald

Rob Allen

Life of the Party

“Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me. They possess and enjoy early, and it does something to them, makes them soft where we are hard, and cynical where we are trustful, in a way that, unless you were born rich, it is very difficult to understand. They think, deep in their hearts, that they are better than we are because we had to discover the compensations and refuges of life for ourselves. Even when they enter deep into our world or sink below us, they still think that they are better than we​

are. They are different. ”​

― F. Scott Fitzgerald
Even authors can be wrong. Particularly writers from the 20"s-50's who wrote before seeing the full born fruits of ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
The hyper-rich are like pinnipeds in that they’re naturally occurring but become extremely problematic when they’re overabundant, or when they’re afforded unfair structural advantages that artificially facilitate their methods of predation. Both tend to degrade their environments when allowed to proliferate unchecked.

The solution of controlled culling, which to a moderate degree addresses the overabundance problem, is expedient in the short term, but there are difficult legalities to overcome. Reducing structural advantages is more impactful in the long term, but that requires political will and coordination.

Last edited:

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I would say the government we have now is different than the one we had in the space race.

“The mission is part of NASA’s Commercial Lunar Payload Services program, which the space agency set up to support development of moon landers by private-sector companies. NASA eventually plans to hire these companies to transport cargo and scientific instruments to the lunar surface as part of the agency’s broader ambitions to return astronauts to the moon.”

I saw this just now and thought it was timely and apropos.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
The only correlation I was making was that if we only blame the very worst offenders instead of us all taking responsibility then we are truly hypocrites. I guess to put it even shorter, picking on the rich is wrong and flawed thinking.
Rob, I'll provide some direct experience context on my viewpoint.
I had an unusual decade in high tech. Originally hired as the lead project manager to straighten out the build of a critical data center that was having massive completion issues, my success in doing so opened the door to becoming the Corporate Facilities Director for a high tech company on a buying spree, ending up responsible for 85 facilities in 22 countries. A job I never would have sought or thought achievable.
Whenever we had another business acquisition on the table, I would fly to that business on a discreet basis to meet directly with the the top executives of the company to map out how we would integrate them, which typically included finding better real estate for the business, launching a project to ready the new high tech facility, and once the acquisition was complete and the project finished, forklift the entire operation into their new building.
Work which over the years = hundreds of hours of discussions with CEO's, CFO's, COO's, folks worth hundreds of millions and a few worth billions. Listening to them talk in their offices, in their homes at their dinner table, in meetings, and a couple of times on their private jets while hitching a ride.
And did they ever talk. About their brilliant visions and business sense, how unfair taxes and regulations were, how employees were so lucky to work for them, what wonders they brought to the 'rest of us.' In fact they never f'n stopped talking about how wonderful they were. Of the dozens of power movers I met, I'm not sure I would want a single one of them for a neighbor.
And I watched them in action. Give themselves huge stock options awards worth tens/hundreds of millions, make bad strategic decisions, respond by laying off 10% of workers in acquired companies, and then award themselves more stock options. I witnessed fraud investigations, pay-outs for sexual harassment, and stock manipulation charges by the SEC.
Final straw for me? Brought into a meeting in the CEO office, and was told I was being given a highest priority, absolutely hush hush project. Build an entirely new software engineering facility in India. Once it was built, the company would start recruiting India engineers. At that point the company would announce these new engineers would be partnered with the software engineers throughout the companies we had acquired, so the time to market for new product development would be halved.
The actual plan? Once the India engineers were fully up to speed, the company would begin laying off the core engineers from the various acquired companies 300 at a time, until we had moved all of the core software development to India. Once the engineers were all moved, terminate now unneeded management teams and support staff, buy out the leases of the buildings that were now either radically downsized or zero'd out. Reduce the entire company employment by 40%, improving the bottom line by 20%, which would be returned to shareholders as profit and surviving executives as bonus.
That afternoon I handed in my 60 day notice per employment contract, put my home up for sale the following week, moved to Oregon three months later, done with rich folks.
My youngest son is a Senior Director at Google, been with them for 14 years. He has told me he would not want one of the senior executives he works with for a next door neighbor.

Last edited:

Tallguy

Steelhead
To echo others, I am in the midst of some industry-pollution issues.. from what I have seen, "industry" seems pretty darn comfortable killing a lot of things to make a buck more, even when it's totally clear what needs to be done. If they can get away with it, they will.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Rob, I'll provide some direct experience context on my viewpoint.
I had an unusual decade in high tech. Originally hired as the lead project manager to straighten out the build of a critical data center that was having massive completion issues, my success in doing so opened the door to becoming the Corporate Facilities Director for a high tech company on a buying spree, ending up responsible for 85 facilities in 22 countries.
Whenever we had another business acquisition on the table, I would fly to that business on a discreet basis to meet directly with the the top executives of the company to map out how we would integrate them, which typically included finding better real estate for the business, launching a project to ready the new high tech facility, and once the acquisition was complete and the project finished, forklift the entire operation into their new building.
Work which over the years = hundreds of hours of discussions with CEO's, CFO's, COO's, folks worth hundreds of millions and a few worth billions. Listening to them talk in their offices, in their homes at their dinner table, in meetings, and a couple of times on their private jets while hitching a ride.
And did they ever talk. About their brilliant visions and business sense, how unfair taxes and regulations were, how employees were so lucky to work for them, what wonders they brought to the 'rest of us.' In fact they never f'n stopped talking about how wonderful they were. Of the dozens of power movers I met, I'm not sure I would want a single one of them for a neighbor.
And I watched them in action. Give themselves huge stock options awards worth tens/hundreds of millions, make bad strategic decisions, respond by laying off 10% of workers in acquired companies, and then award themselves more stock options. I witnessed fraud investigations, pay-outs for sexual harassment, and stock manipulation charges by the SEC.
Final straw for me? Brought into a meeting in the CEO office, and was told I was being given a highest priority, absolutely hush hush project. Build an entirely new software engineering facility in India. Once it was built, the company would start recruiting India engineers. At that point the company would announce these new engineers would be partnered with the software engineers throughout the companies we had acquired, so the time to market for new product development would be halved.
The actual plan? Once the India engineers were fully up to speed, the company would begin laying off the core engineers from the various acquired companies 300 at a time, until we had moved all of the core software development to India. Once the engineers were all moved, terminate now unneeded management teams and support staff, buy out the leases of the buildings that were now either radically downsized or zero'd out. Reduce the entire company employment by 40%, improving the bottom line by 20%, which would be returned to shareholders as profit and surviving executives as bonus.
That afternoon I handed in my 60 day notice per employment contract, put my home up for sale the following week, moved to Oregon three months later, done with rich folks.
My youngest son is a Senior Director at Google. Their stock price is at an all time high. His job has changed twice in the past month due to back to back lay-off's. A month ago he was assigned 30 mid level managers, and last week he had to call them into his office one at a time to tell them they have been laid off.
My son has told me he would not want one of the senior executives he works with for a next door neighbor.

I lived in a trailer park in Southern Oregon. All poor people, probably people who would dynamite a pool of wild summer steelhead. I would not want them as my neighbors.

Elon Musk like most billionaires, now don't get all bent because it's Elon, he's just an example, donates billions of dollars to make the world a better place.. groups of people are not homogeneous.

The rich fishermen of Portland fund the Native Fish Society the hundreds of us the give 50 or a couple hundred bucks are only a fraction of that..

There are "good" rich people and there are "bad" rich people, same with poor people and middle class people.. people are bring laid off in droves now because the climate is not good for business right now. Not because corporations are evil.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
To echo others, I am in the midst of some industry-pollution issues.. from what I have seen, "industry" seems pretty darn comfortable killing a lot of things to make a buck more, even when it's totally clear what needs to be done. If they can get away with it, they will.
So are individual people.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
An awesome private jet in Dallesport WA

Attachments

• 20240223_111109.jpg
    20240223_111109.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Wow
Reactions: Zak
An awesome private jet in Dallesport WA
Looks like Jared Isaacman's (Shift4 Payments/Drakken International) Dornier Alphajet. He also owns Paul Allen's former MiG-29UB painted similar which he bases out of Bozeman and flies around to airshows with the Black Diamond Jet Team. Talk about carbon footprint :LOL:

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What's your plan this weekend?
Tomorrow morning, the wife and I are going to hop in my F-16 strike eagle and be bop over to eastern Montana, check out the mountain range, rattle a few mountain goats, we'll be home for brunch.

God bless America.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Looks like Jared Isaacman's (Shift4 Payments/Drakken International) Dornier Alphajet. He also owns Paul Allen's former MiG-29UB painted similar which he bases out of Bozeman and flies around to airshows with the Black Diamond Jet Team. Talk about carbon footprint :LOL:
Saw it flying over The Dalles, saw it dirty up then went looking for it on the ground..

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Ok...I made it to about halfway on page 5. By then it looked like everything was figured out.
I buy used rods. I buy old reels and reuse them. I buy used boats. I buy used camp trailers. I buy used cars. I have been known to tie flies with roadkill and pet hair. I leave my grass clippings on the lawn. I use aluminum water bottles. And, I do my laundry on the "quick" cycle.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ok...I made it to about halfway on page 5. By then it looked like everything was figured out.
I buy used rods. I buy old reels and reuse them. I buy used boats. I buy used camp trailers. I buy used cars. I have been known to tie flies with roadkill and pet hair. I leave my grass clippings on the lawn. I use aluminum water bottles. And, I do my laundry on the "quick" cycle.

Seven carbon credits awarded. You may use your meat rations.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Actual photo of WW. He buys used, so that the rest of us may sin. Bless him.

6208743cda6945aea4102c5f000818fb.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.