NFR "The Hypocrite" TGR film about advocacy/fossil fuels/Outdoor State

Non-fishing related
Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
Only showing the temperature change since the last ice age may be deceiving. Throughout much of Earth's geologic history, the global mean temperature was between 8°C and 15°C warmer than it is today with polar areas free of ice. These relatively warm periods were interrupted by cooler ice ages.

View attachment 104424
The idea that humanity, or even civilization is only 20,000 years old is hilarious at this point.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
we live in a society that values the wealthy as enviable icons while ignoring the true worth of our teachers, health care workers, police, fire fighters....envy of the absolute excess of costly cars, mansions, private jets, designer clothes. etc.
The average human emits .6 tons of CO2 per year.
The average private jet emits 7000 tons of CO2 per year.
There are currently 24,000 private jets in licensed operation.
Those jets emitting the equivalent of 280 million humans each year.

Save the earth...eat the rich
So those who do the worst of each thing are the ones who should shoulder all the blame?
Gangs and drug dealers are responsible for almost all violent crime. We could chase that way of thinking anywhere we want and we'd all be the only ones guilty of some particular crime against society.

VMP

Steelhead
Only showing the temperature change since the last ice age may be deceiving. Throughout much of Earth's geologic history, the global mean temperature was between 8°C and 15°C warmer than it is today with polar areas free of ice. These relatively warm periods were interrupted by cooler ice ages.
The idea that humanity, or even civilization is only 20,000 years old is hilarious at this point.
Change is hard. The first step to solving a problem is recognizing that one exists, and we can't even agree that there is a problem nor that our own species/society is responsilble for it, even when science overwhelmingly supports both facts!

1708714721562.png
1708714877650.png

The devil is in the details... for details and background, just examples below, lots of primary scientific literature publicly available at this point in history:

Flymph

Steelhead
There is a lot more altruism in for profit organizations than there is in government. Also private companies can be trusted more than government to look out for the best interests of the people.

Also, private for profit companies are more of a benefit to society unintentionally than government does even when it tries.
I will never trust a private, profit-driven company, with my Social Security check or my Medicare benefits. Are you serious??? I assume you are not there yet but I think you will be changing your tune, considerably when your fixed retirement budget relies on these two Government benefits!

The Koch brothers have the best interests of the people!!! I defy you to find a single shred of evidence to provide truth to this statement. While you are looking, take a look at the coal mining areas that have been devastated and left for near dead while the K-boys reaped the billions!

Last edited:

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
Change is hard. The first step to solving a problem is recognizing that one exists, and we can't even agree that there is a problem nor that our own species/society is responsilble for it, even when science overwhelmingly supports both facts!

View attachment 104487
View attachment 104489

The devil is in the details... for details and background, just examples below, lots of primary scientific literature publicly available at this point in history:

I don’t disagree with anything outside of the fact that the science is not settled on our past. Anthropology is changing its stance on how long modern humans have been around, and it’s changing slowly in relation to recent discoveries using new technology.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

View attachment 104487
View attachment 104489

When I see a website that has a mission of debunking “climate misinformation,” I’m always skeptical. The scientific process allows alternative positions and dialog. Your source does not.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Change is the only thing that is certain in life...

There are very interesting new discoveries about our past being made that I find interesting.
GIven the history of discovery in general, it makes perfect sense that there will be more made in the future.

Fearing change is also fearing life in some respects, and looking backwards for some is comforting, but not where you're headed of course. Much to be learned from the past, much to be learned in the future too.

...and so it goes...
:)

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I am not upset by virtue signaling. Humans from all sorts of places do it. It's just that what different groups see as virtuous change depending on the population. Free speech and virtue signaling go hand in hand. Part of free speech is allowing people to try and change others minds. The bumper stickers in the Cabela's parking lot are a study in virtue signaling as are those in the church parking lot and the co-op parking lot. In all 3 parking lots we can find hypocrites as well. I find that debating the actual messages the stickers convey to be far more helpful that arguing the traits of the humans who own the stickers or calling out their hypocrisy. A hypocritical message may very well be 100% correct as well.

It is also very true that the poorer you are the less that concern over the future will outweigh concern over the present. This is a major reason that the rate of change on these issues is so slow. If we were to just stop all oil subsidies in all forms, military, drilling, clean up etc. the market would change away from oil. It would create financial incentive. However, whatever politician(s) did that would be quickly eliminated from office by a vote of the people. The short term pain would be unbearable especially to lower income earners. There are limits to what can be done through the federal government due to elections.

On the state level, you can see a trend in the maps above where the NE and west coast seem to be leading the way in wind and solar. The Southeast has very high poverty rates and little to no solar or wind energy. Given that the states with a lot of wind and solar are the more affluent states in the union, you can see where this comes into play in real life. The Northeast also has some serious energy issues that they are trying to deal with. Texas is an outlier of sorts in how it has accomplished having so many varied energy sources even with a high poverty rate (13th highest). They definitely seem to have taken a more free market approach, and there is plenty of wealth there. Occasionally, people feel some pain from that approach too, but it is smart to look and see what is working there.

Those are my thoughts. I appreciate that aside from some passive aggressive sorts of name calling, this convo has been about issues more that ad homonym attacks.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When I see a website that has a mission of debunking “climate misinformation,” I’m always skeptical. The scientific process allows alternative positions and dialog. Your source does not.
Are you suggesting that there are alternative positions backed by scientific evidence? That is disingenuous.

VMP

Steelhead
It is great to be skeptical. Being able to share alternative positions and dialogue is great in a free speech society.
However, science is not based on confronting alternative positions via dialogue. The scientific process is based on confronting ideas with data, drawing conclussions, and establishing facts when conclussions over an issue are consistent over time/different studies, etc. Like I mentioned before, there is plenty of primary scientific literature available for those interested in contrasting their ideas/notions with scientific facts. Factual scientific evidence on climate change and human role in it is plenty, don't take anyone's word for it, it just takes a few clicks. More examples below from NASA:

Also some information regarding reliability of sources:

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My use of altruism was somewhat facetious. Of course profit is the main motivation of for profit enterprises, and none of them are spending their money out of the goodness of their hearts for the benefit of society. But I totally disagree that governments never motivated innovation. The space race comes to mind. I’m sure you can think of others if you put your mind to it.

Government EV regulations are not taking us into space, but they are motivating for profit companies to innovate in their fields so they can be the ones to snatch up the market share and hopefully profit. Who’s gonna make the first E dirt bike you buy? Time will tell…

I would say the government we have now is different than the one we had in the space race. Either way agreeing or disagreeing I thank you for the good faith discussion.

As it looks right now it will likely be a Japanese company that will make my first electric bike. I could be wrong though as there are European models that look promising. What I really want to know is who will make batteries recyclable and profitable to do so be it car or bike.

Reactions: Zak

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
tumblr_30ccc0bda4c21d72a0cc46f6a86a6672_24fc31b7_400.gif
This thread has reached the peak group think tipping point. The end is near.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Merchants of Doubt...

Worth reading

• Well-researched and comprehensive, it meticulously exposes the network of scientists who have undermined public understanding of scientific consensus on important matters.
  • The authors skillfully connect the dots between different cases, highlighting the consistent pattern of doubt-mongering and its effects on policy-making and public discourse.
Same folks and approaches used to deny that tobacco and smoking cause health issues are re running the playbook for climate science...
Altruistic private for profit business just acting in our best interests...again.
😁

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

View attachment 104424
Do you think this picture shows everything you need to know about global climate?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
So those who do the worst of each thing are the ones who should shoulder all the blame?
Gangs and drug dealers are responsible for almost all violent crime. We could chase that way of thinking anywhere we want and we'd all be the only ones guilty of some particular crime against society.
Not sure how CO2 emissions equivocate with violent crime, but if we're gonna go there...
The majority of homicides and violent crime in the US occur in proverty centers, primarily over drug turf, the victims and assailants usually people of color. Second on the list is the mix of alcohol and guns..everywhere.
Mass shootings in schools, supermarkets, etc, however? The majority take place in non poverty centers, the shooter invariably white.

For context:
The number of shooting deaths in the US in 2019? 14,000+
The number of pollution generated health deaths in 2014? 60,000+

VMP

Steelhead
No more windmills is rural areas for urban power generation is a systematic change I'd like to see.. windmills are ugly and destructive.
you should consider writing a novel, i bet you would be good at it. Fiction of course
@Rob Allen weren't you thinking about writing a near future post-apocalyptic novel?

Evil windmills in a novel? It dates back to the origins of Western/European literature! Meaning no offense to anyone with the apocalyptic take on this topic of the cartoon below in this surprisingly well behaved and educational thread on an often controversial topic.

alternative_energy_revolution.jpg

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Not sure how CO2 emissions equivocate with violent crime, but if we're gonna go there...
The majority of homicides and violent crime in the US occur in proverty centers, primarily over drug turf, the victims and assailants usually people of color. Second on the list is the mix of alcohol and guns..everywhere.
Mass shootings in schools, supermarkets, etc, however? The majority take place in non poverty centers, the shooter invariably white.

For context:
The number of shooting deaths in the US in 2019? 14,000+
The number of pollution generated health deaths in 2014? 60,000+

The only correlation I was making was that if we only blame the very worst offenders instead of us all taking responsibility then we are truly hypocrites. I guess to put it even shorter, picking on the rich is wrong and flawed thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.