NFR "The Hypocrite" TGR film about advocacy/fossil fuels/Outdoor State

Non-fishing related
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Here is how this works in reality. America stops using oil, gas and plastic. We all give up what we love and essentially give up first world living. We wreck the economy. Impoverish our people and China/ India and possibly Russia take our place, burns all that oil anyway without any environmental regulation the human carbon footprint INCREASES and climate change accelerates even faster making all of our sacrifice meaningless. On top of that it makes us the bad guys for doing that to our own people much like Stalin's 10 year plan.
Furthermore and I've said this before but when people begin to starve they will kill off wildlife to feed their families. When they start to freeze they will cut down the forests to heat their homes. A thriving US economy in all sectors is vital to having a healthy environment.
you should consider writing a novel, i bet you would be good at it. Fiction of course

VMP

Steelhead
We have had many warming and cooling cycles throughout time. Most of which occurred long before we ever knew about oil and all of the byproducts associated with it. Now that I think about it many of the warming/cooling cycles occurred before modern man. We do have a responsibility to do our best to protect the environment regardless of where you might stand on the issue.

earth_temperature_timeline.png

"Change before you have to." Jack Welch

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading." Lao Tzu.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
earth_temperature_timeline.png

"Change before you have to." Jack Welch

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading." Lao Tzu.
Only showing the temperature change since the last ice age may be deceiving. Throughout much of Earth's geologic history, the global mean temperature was between 8°C and 15°C warmer than it is today with polar areas free of ice. These relatively warm periods were interrupted by cooler ice ages.

IMG_2994.jpeg

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Stalin was just the metaphor. Pretty sure you know that but if you didn’t, now you do.

Edit: if you’re looking for innovative progress, the idea of a Green New Deal might be more to your liking. It seems to ruffle a lot of feathers with those that would rather see the status quo continue, which makes it a non starter in our system.

Well, the fact Stalin is a metaphor makes me feel better. I do however find the green new deal absurd and Stalin like.

Yes it's bold. I like bold but I don't like forcing things on folks. Bottom like in my way of thinking is that if you can provide better ways of doing things the public will adopt them.

Here's a case in point for me personally. I'm not sure electric vehicles are the answer with the current methods of manufacture, procurement, and the inability to recycle batteries efficiently. Yet, I would have zero issues riding an electric dirt bike. Especially for trail use in remote areas. I would herald the lack of maintaince and the quiet ride to see more wildlife. The tech is almost there. I'm hopeful they will keep going with it and I think it's pretty much inevitable I'll be riding one. This especially if I can recycle the battery. Why would I do this? Because the product will simply fit my needs better. I also think it will serve as ambassador in multi use areas.

It's a simple thing. Build a better mousetrap and the mice will be caught. I realize this is a chicken and egg debate as Zac stated. I want to make clear I have no trouble greening things up and in my own life make choices voluntarily to do so that many would consider extreme and not livable for them. But it's a choice. And choice is what all good things are built on. Yes, many Americans make shit choices. All one needs to do is look at how they treat their own bodies. It's easy to see they just don't care. But case in point if an alternative became adopted because it's better and became cheaper you would see even the most obese Walmart shopper purchasing it.

Last edited:

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well, the fact Stalin is a metaphor makes me feel better. I do however find the green new deal absurd and Stalin like.

Yes it's bold. I like bold but I don't like forcing things on folks. Bottom like in my way of thinking is that if you can provide better ways of doing things the public will adopt them.

Here's a case in point for me personally. I'm not sure electric vehicles are the answer with the current methods of manufacture, procurement, and the inability to recycle batteries efficiently. Yet, I would have zero issues riding an electric dirt bike. Especially for trail use in remote areas. I would herald the lack of maintaince and the quiet ride to see more wildlife. The tech is almost there. I'm hopeful they will keep going with it and I think it's pretty much inevitable I'll be riding one. This especially if I can recycle the battery. Why would I do this? Because the product will simply fit my needs better. I also think it will serve as ambassador in multi use areas.

It's a simple thing. Build a better mousetrap and the mice will be caught. I realize this is a chicken and egg debate as Zac stated. I want to make clear I have no trouble greening things up and in my own life make choices voluntarily to do so that many would consider extreme and not livable for them. But it's a choice. And choice is what all good things are built on. Yes, many Americans make shit choices. All one needs to do is look at how they treat their own bodies. It's easy to see they just don't care. But case in point if an alternative became adopted because it's better and became cheaper you would see even the most obese Walmart shopper purchasing it.
Nobody likes being forced to do anything, and yes, many Americans make shit choices. Just look at the state of women’s health and rights. There are a lot of people responsible for some mandatory shit choices in the last couple of years alone. Or with electric bikes: that tech is directly related to tech from other EVs, which is being incentivized via regulations. Pretty sure altruistic motivations aren’t the only ones driving that tech development.

It’s great that you’re making individual choices for the better but as you said, most people don’t. And it sounds like you wouldn’t be making these choices if they didn’t suit your personal needs. If we all just did what we wanted with no regard to the rest of society then we’d have anarchy.

While we’re stuck in this “us vs. them” system and generally aren’t willing to put aside our differences for the long-term benefit of the greater good - which is part of the point that the video is making - stalemate (or anarchy) will prevail and we’re all doomed. And like I mentioned to Salmo earlier in the thread, I’m not far from there but I haven’t given up yet.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nobody likes being forced to do anything, and yes, many Americans make shit choices. Just look at the state of women’s health and rights. There are a lot of people responsible for some mandatory shit choices in the last couple of years alone. Or with electric bikes: that tech is directly related to tech from other EVs, which is being incentivized via regulations. Pretty sure altruistic motivations aren’t the only ones driving that tech development.

It’s great that you’re making individual choices for the better but as you said, most people don’t. And it sounds like you wouldn’t be making these choices if they didn’t suit your personal needs. If we all just did what we wanted with no regard to the rest of society then we’d have anarchy.

While we’re stuck in this “us vs. them” system and generally aren’t willing to put aside our differences for the long-term benefit of the greater good - which is part of the point that the video is making - stalemate (or anarchy) will prevail and we’re all doomed. And like I mentioned to Salmo earlier in the thread, I’m not far from there but I haven’t given up yet.

I agree with much of what you've said. The exception is I don't believe altruism is a factor at all. I want to clarify that. Altruism doesn't motivate government or citizens. The incentive for innovation is largely profit. Subsidizing this and that is against that grain. Yes, I fully realize oil is subsidized. So is electric. Either way I disagree. The government never motivated any innovation in a true sense. And the EPA was not always mortal enemy of progress. Lead out of gas? That's a great thing and a victory for that agency. But polluting in other places so magic energy can flow from an outlet? That's a zero sum game. If Americans produced their own energy and weren't plugged into a grid they would understand the cost and effort associated with that. But most are as tone deaf as the athletes crying in this video. Again, build something better and it will be adopted. I don't care if something is adopted for altruism. It doesn't matter.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Here is how this works in reality. America stops using oil, gas and plastic. We all give up what we love and essentially give up first world living. We wreck the economy. Impoverish our people and China/ India and possibly Russia take our place, burns all that oil anyway without any environmental regulation the human carbon footprint INCREASES and climate change accelerates even faster making all of our sacrifice meaningless. On top of that it makes us the bad guys for doing that to our own people much like Stalin's 10 year plan.
Furthermore and I've said this before but when people begin to starve they will kill off wildlife to feed their families. When they start to freeze they will cut down the forests to heat their homes. A thriving US economy in all sectors is vital to having a healthy environment.
He has his own unique way of putting it, but Rob makes the important point that environmental stewardship has been and always will be the product of affluence. People who are living hand to mouth, literally, don't have time for anything else, like taking care of the environment.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
There more than than the 2 choices of cave dwelling, or massive consumption.
When framed as ' we wreck the economy', it is reminiscent of the claims of business throughout the years, that any regulation will crash things, like child labor, the 8 hour day, or basically any safety regulation.
Not buying that, as there is no historical evidence to support the, 'only 2 choices' model some are so fond of.
;)

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I agree with much of what you've said. The exception is I don't believe altruism is a factor at all. I want to clarify that. Altruism doesn't motivate government or citizens. The incentive for innovation is largely profit. Subsidizing this and that is against that grain. Yes, I fully realize oil is subsidized. So is electric. Either way I disagree. The government never motivated any innovation in a true sense. And the EPA was not always mortal enemy of progress. Lead out of gas? That's a great thing and a victory for that agency. But polluting in other places so magic energy can flow from an outlet? That's a zero sum game. If Americans produced their own energy and weren't plugged into a grid they would understand the cost and effort associated with that. But most are as tone deaf as the athletes crying in this video. Again, build something better and it will be adopted. I don't care if something is adopted for altruism. It doesn't matter.
My use of altruism was somewhat facetious. Of course profit is the main motivation of for profit enterprises, and none of them are spending their money out of the goodness of their hearts for the benefit of society. But I totally disagree that governments never motivated innovation. The space race comes to mind. I’m sure you can think of others if you put your mind to it.

Government EV regulations are not taking us into space, but they are motivating for profit companies to innovate in their fields so they can be the ones to snatch up the market share and hopefully profit. Who’s gonna make the first E dirt bike you buy? Time will tell…

Flymph

Steelhead
He has his own unique way of putting it, but Rob makes the important point that environmental stewardship has been and always will be the product of affluence. People who are living hand to mouth, literally, don't have time for anything else, like taking care of the environment.
I used to think the same way about those in poverty but that view just might be changing. The article below and many others point to the fact that poor people are, quite often, willing to pay more for environmental improvements because it affects them more.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I used to think the same way about those in poverty but that view just might be changing. The article below and many others point to the fact that poor people are, quite often, willing to pay more for environmental improvements because it affects them more.
I can't see, "don't have access to," the article.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
My use of altruism was somewhat facetious. Of course profit is the main motivation of for profit enterprises, and none of them are spending their money out of the goodness of their hearts for the benefit of society. But I totally disagree that governments never motivated innovation. The space race comes to mind. I’m sure you can think of others if you put your mind to it.

Government EV regulations are not taking us into space, but they are motivating for profit companies to innovate in their fields so they can be the ones to snatch up the market share and hopefully profit. Who’s gonna make the first E dirt bike you buy? Time will tell…

There is a lot more altruism in for profit organizations than there is in government. Also private companies can be trusted more than government to look out for the best interests of the people.

Also, private for profit companies are more of a benefit to society unintentionally than government does even when it tries.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
we live in a society that values the wealthy as enviable icons while ignoring the true worth of our teachers, health care workers, police, fire fighters....envy of the absolute excess of costly cars, mansions, private jets, designer clothes. etc.
The average human emits .6 tons of CO2 per year.
The average private jet emits 7000 tons of CO2 per year.
There are currently 24,000 private jets in licensed operation.
Those jets emitting the equivalent of 280 million humans each year.

Save the earth...eat the rich

Status
Not open for further replies.