NFR "The Hypocrite" TGR film about advocacy/fossil fuels/Outdoor State

Non-fishing related
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak

Legend
Shoot, even in non-"office" type jobs, WFH is often available. For me, I can do virtually (hehe) all of my work virtually outside of the specific research visits. Even many of the docs I work with do quite a bit virtually (outside of the obvious clinic days).

That said, for me personally (probably the ADHD in me), I have a tough time working multiple days in a row from home but I do love the ability to vary it up quite a bit.
My biggest problem with working from home is this site (and my tying bench right next to my work desk).

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’ll never go back to the office full time. I’ll just retire if they made it mandatory. I love working from home.
I get three nice mid day walks in per week and the refrigerator is mere steps from my office. I’m not drinking any longer, but I enjoyed many lunchtime beers and cocktails throughout the pandemic.
SF

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
My biggest problem with working from home is this site (and my tying bench right next to my work desk).
oh yeah, that definitely plays a large part for me too! only have one room that is office/tying room

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Then we have a conundrum. The will of the people is generally opposed to anarchy. The will of the people generally wants a government and the essential services and infrastructure it can provide. And the will of many of the people is that they won't voluntarily pay (taxes) for these things that they both want and need. I am interested in how you would get there from here, given your proclivity to not agitate the will of the people.
What I object to is the will of some of the people systematically getting their will to the detriment of others without accountability or recourse.
Saying enough is enough is not the same as anarchy..

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I've wondered whether buildings could offset some of a city's energy consumtion by installing small/micro wind turbines along rooftop edges, or by design features that channel wind toward wind turbine installations. I know abosolutely nothing about the technical aspects, though.
Individual energy independence if far better than giving billions of tax dollars to corporations to build wind farms.. more pseudo conservation.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think after Rob lives in the Gorge for a couple year he will understand why the windmills are concentrated here. 😜 And yes, i realize he knows the area.

I'd like to see wave and tide turbine technology grow. In the most simplest terms, think of hanging a big screw from a wing dam. Free, easy energy.

There is growing pains in every type of technology. Just because it doesn't work today doesn't mean it won't work tomorrow. But I believe in mathematics and science so.....

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I think after Rob lives in the Gorge for a couple year he will understand why the windmills are concentrated here. 😜 And yes, i realize he knows the area.

I'd like to see wave and tide turbine technology grow. In the most simplest terms, think of hanging a big screw from a wing dam. Free, easy energy.

There is growing pains in every type of technology. Just because it doesn't work today doesn't mean it won't work tomorrow. But I believe in mathematics and science so.....

I know why the windmills are there.. politicians stole a bunch of taxpayer billions to give to GE.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
folks complain about their taxes, how 'them feds' are wasting our money....built into those taxes is over 80B a year spent by the US military to protect major pumpers like Saudi Arabia, who use our blood and treasure to protect their oil, which is then sold to us for their immense profit, the actual cost of that gallon of gas being a hell of a lot more than the apparent pump price.
So we should continue to bear the cost of defendinga regimes while our gs prices go up every year, with nothing to show for it except continued dependence?
Or do we instead invest those $ in package nuke power, wind, solar, tidal, etc, letting the various geographies and free market shake out what works best, the investments representing hard US infrastructure and jobs.
Pretty much the difference between paying rent all your life vs owning your own home.
Whereas as some have no choice but the former, very few would not prefer the latter.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
'hyprocrite' well tags the uber athletes who have spent their life burning up dinosaur exhaust in their quest for bigger, higher, steeper fun, and have now shifted their business model to 'economically sustainable' because they are now enlightened, not to mention it sells.
Jeremy Jones, the featured snowboarder, has made a living for decades performing in self produced extreme snowboard videos, much of it made flying with his film crew to Alaska to be dropped by helo onto ultra high ridge tops for filmed rides down. What's the carbon footprint on those trips?
The same JJ who during summer would drive down from Tahoe with his posse in an exhaust smoking old yellow school bus turned hippie RV and park it at our local beach for a week at a time, surfing days and burning wood fires at night on the beach.
8 billion folks on a shrinking rock...we are locked irrevocably into our environmental future

I was told if we shame others, make narcissistic videos, and feel really really guilty the earth will heal itself. We just need a climate Jesus. You know one rich celebrity with a big carbon footprint to sacrifice. A lamb to shoulder all our climate sins.

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I know why the windmills are there.. politicians stole a bunch of taxpayer billions to give to GE.
Are you aware of the taxpayer billions politicians give to oil companies to subsidize fossil fuels? If you were paying the true cost of gas to put into your vehicle, you might have a different view of windmills.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I was told if we shame others, make narcissistic videos, and feel really really guilty the earth will heal itself. We just need a climate Jesus. You know one rich celebrity with a big carbon footprint to sacrifice. A lamb to shoulder all our climate sins.
I was in a surf camp in Java in the 90's (G-Land), jungle hut compound fronting one of the most remarkable waves on earth. Getting there was an arduous journey involving long drives in rented vans, ferries through island straits, end of journey wading ashore from a small boat while your stuff is portaged behind you....in the middle of an epic surf session a helicopter showed up and dropped a surfer into the ocean along with a water camerman, the surfer an apex pro who had taken a private jet from the US to Bali where he had chartered the helo to drop him in the surf.
That same pro these days hucks a clothing line of environmentally 'friendly' clothing and surf accessories.
Akin to the drug addict/thief who found God and is utterly driven to tell every soul he meets how they too can be saved.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In grad school I ended one of my marine ecology presentations with an argument that, in order for any real change to happen, we needed an “environmental dictator” to force the changes because many in our capitalist society would never sign on willingly. I made a graphic for “Green” Stalin.

The response was pretty much what I expected. Kind of like this thread.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sometimes, I hate wadding into the "water"... so just stepping in a few inches.

I have many questions for both sides of this issue and have asked many groups of people. Like,
* "would you give up you hobby or career if you could only walk or ride your(peddle) bike?"
* "do you only eat what you can harvest/kill yourself?"
* "how often do you do take a shower? and for how long?"
* "will you turn your home heater down 10 degrees from Oct through May?"
* "have you installed any "alternate" energy on/in your house?"
* "shouldn't all government projects be required to have alternate energy as part of the project (on sight NOT over the hill or carbon offsets)? Similar to the (Wa) mandatory "art" requirement."

Generally the answer is its to hard or costs to much, but then what is it really worth to you?

The reason for these and many more questions is I try not to live the "for thee but not for me" life. Because the "I have a platform" usually backfires. Like when a friend that said "... if your a conservationist, then how can you drive all the way to Eastern WA to fish, when you could fish closer to home..." my reply was "... if your saving the planet from climate change, why did you fly 3 times (Mexico, Florida, Europe) in the last year on vacations, then rent cars, live the "rich" life but then criticize others for driving to fish? You don't need to go in those vacations, right?..."

And I have said many times, if others had to "live" like I do in "the parking lot", with only 60 gal of water, with only 2 6volt batteries and solar panels for water and power, for a month, they would have a better understanding of what conserving was really like. Conservation of resources like every cup of water and every light switch, it might just make you think at home.

Anyway, if every American just did a little every day, it would make a huge difference! Focus on what is in YOUR immediate control and do your best.

Tapping out...

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Then such a plan should not occur at all.. it is clearly opposed to the will of the people.
It's funny, you seem to confuse the "will of the people" with the will of Rob. Renewable energy is well supported by the general public in the PNW and it shows in their voting. Your opinions are on the fringe of society. If the government made decisions that aligned with your opinions it would be opposed to the will of the people.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
How so? I mean, if population is low relative to resource abundance, then everyone can consume as much energy and resources as they wish and pollute as much as they wish, and the environment can remain healthy overall. When the population is large, then exactly the inverse occurs. If my implied and inferred calculations are wrong, help me understand how.
Overpopulation amplifies many of our problems, but the problem is our lifestyles. For example, as a society we committed time and time again to relying on personal vehicles for transportation. Personal vehicles naturally take up a lot of resources, mainly physical space and fuel. We knew the population was going to continue to grow. We knew major cities were going to become bigger and more dense. If we spent the last 100 years prioritizing public transportation instead of *actively* sabotaging it, overpopulation wouldn't seem so bad. It is all relative to our lifestyles. A lot of people want to change their lifestyles but it is either impractical or impossible.

Blaming overpopulation also ignores the fact that a small subset of our population is responsible for a vast majority of pollution and resource consumption. Its hard to blame the 95% who consume 5% when 5% consume 95%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.