The Grass Fly?

SteelheadBee

Steelhead
If any of you have read Lee Spencer's book A Temporary Refuge, you probably can recall in his observations that steelhead will rise to all sorts of floating detritus: leaves, twigs, pieces of styrofoam, seeds, plastic, etc. (brief background: the North Umpqua's Lee Spencer was the river watch to make sure congregating steelhead seeking cool water refuge from the summer heat were not poached or harassed by humans).

It's been in the back of my mind for a few years now - I'd like to raise a steelhead on a "fly" that I tied riverside consisting of bankside vegetation. I've yet to bring myself to this sort of sacrilege, since I revere the idea of classic steelheading. However, I am one step closer to that slippery slope.

Last week, I had planned a weekday to take my daughter on our annual dryfly trouting. It's really an excuse for me to checkup on her mental/emotional/spiritual health with a good dose of fun thrown in. Unfortunately for me, she got hired to a new summer job and couldn't go. I was bummed. Honestly, I had to force myself to go fishing (not that I don't like trout but it can get stale for me if I don't look at it with a new perspective).

Situation: Partial clouds, mostly sunny midweek day after a rainy cool Memorial Day weekend at the desert river during a famed hatch requiring warm weather.

As a fly fisherman, observation is not only required on the water for success but also in regards to predicting what surrounding humans will have done and will likely do.

I figured that the trout didn't show all weekend and were harassed by the holiday hordes. Fastforward to midweek, I would have my pick of good water with dryfly trout everywhere. Throwing my tying kit in the pack with some optimism, maybe I will get to tie my vegetation fly and raise a trout. And in that, I found my desire to head to the rio.

Sure enough, I found choice water and nice trout rising to dries. I wasn't even using a trout pattern:
20220531_125410.jpg

After catching some nice ones on the Steelhead Bee, I switched over to my own pattern designed for steelhead called the Pig Caddis (pig because it has an underwing of boar hair):
20220531_140403.jpg

By far, this pattern rose more big trout than I could count. I relied on this pattern in the bright of day and when the fish stopped rising to naturals. But it is more difficult to spot when the light fades in the evening (but just cast it and look for the splash). Below is a video of a bigly fish finally connecting with the Pig Caddis after the third smash at it (I took the video with my left hand while I was casting with my right...so not the greatest recording):

I stopped after my fill of large trout and had lunch and a pint of beer. I didn't need to maximize the opportunity and ruin a good thing. But wait...as the beer kicked in...the thoughts creeped in to tie up a vegetation fly.

Walking back down to the bank, I harvested bits and pieces of grass. I knew I had to use a light smallish hook to keep it from sinking. Floatant would help. And being a one and done fly, it had to be cast right under a branch of a "bug tree" with competing trout holding beneath. I couldn't give them a chance to inspect the fly. Predatory and competitive instincts are what would make this successful.
20220531_181458.jpg
Above is the pattern in process, I added some dried grass for the thorax and overwing (I wish had taken a picture of it completed).

Part of me didn't think it would actually work, but a lot of my fishing and flytying hinges on that doubt: it's what challenges me.

So with the sun nearing the rimrock, I find a shady side of a tree reaching over the river. Sneaking up knowing that I can't afford to cast far in case my fly can't handle those forces, I find a decent casting zone. I slather some floatant on the Grass Fly and also on the leader. Let's hope for a few trout under that tree anticipating a bug drop. Sure enough, two casts in...a trout explodes on my grass fly!

20220531_194900.jpg
Sometimes a planned surprise still shocks. I had a laugh at the ridiculousness. Below is the Grass Fly after releasing:
20220531_192452.jpg

Plenty of really nice fish this day. I hadn't had that much fun troutfishing in a long time.

20220531_190331.jpg
DSC_0938.JPG
DSC_0749(1).JPG

Attachments

• 20220531_194900.jpg
    20220531_194900.jpg
    637.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220531_190340.jpg
    20220531_190340.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
This is cool. I've never even thought about this. I also want to get a streamside tying kit simply for river cred.

Anyway, really diggin' your content. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If I had trout like that nearby I'd not lament the state of steelhead near me.. Great fish, great report.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
outstanding!

I remember once near where you were, while watching a feeding trout, it went over and inhaled the same little stick 3 times before letting it drift by...funny fish, they are.

Getting one on the surface with your little grass caddis is so awesome!

I really like your pig caddis, it just looks too damn buggy to be ignored.

SteelheadBee

Steelhead
Thanks community for letting me share. I am still laughing about it.

@swimmy get that tying kit...it's another fun piece of kit to drop and lose in the river 😄. Cheers

@SculpinSwinger I agree, the sound of clicker reels adds so much drama....plus it let's one audibly know what the fish is planning next.

@clarkman Tru dat, amigo...fish be quirky. And with the brain the size of a pine nut, we should be ale to fool them every once and again.

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
That's amazing! I once tried to construct a damselfly dry with a blue ice bag and a matchstick. Yours was a LOT better!

That was a really fun read. Thanks for sharing

SteelheadBee

Steelhead
A great reminder of how much profile and presentation matter in angling. Something that is shaped like food and presented like food generally gets treated like food.

Pretty great stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Steelhead I've kept often have twigs and milfoil in their stomachs. They must just lash out at things.

Your stream side tying has to be my favorite posts on this site.
What do they say about fish not having hands? From curiosity to pure predatory aggressiveness...they mouth off:D.

Generally- speaking, I do believe that resident trout are a little more keen in their river surroundings and forage than steelhead (steelhead are like tourists primed with a sex drive doin their romantic thing - they'll try anything). I think in my example, I hedged my bets with the prime conditions that trout were gonna be competitively stupid. I agree @Shad that profile and presentation really increase our odds of catching success. Another thing I had floating around in my gray matter was that a lot of anglers are successful this time of year with Chubby Chernobyls - and those things are just stupid looking - but yet the trout eat them in the right conditions.

Back in my saltwater conventional angling life, there were times that tuna would eat a cigarette butt dangled off a gaff in a feeding frenzy. Other times, we'd have to match the exact size and color of the anchovies and using the right diameter of flourocarbon to even get a sniff.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Hopefully I'll get the time to tie up a Veggie Fly that'll fool a steelhead this year.

Cheers!

Tallguy

Steelhead
I am now getting rid of all my flies and thousands of dollars of fly tying materials, and just taking a bobbin and some thread next time I go fishing.

Seems very close to tying the grasshopper/worm/caterpillar straight to the hook. Would be bait fishing if trout were fully vegetarian..

Very very cool trip report and tie.

SteelheadBee

Steelhead
I am now getting rid of all my flies and thousands of dollars of fly tying materials, and just taking a bobbin and some thread next time I go fishing.

Seems very close to tying the grasshopper/worm/caterpillar straight to the hook. Would be bait fishing if trout were fully vegetarian..

Very very cool trip report and tie.

Ha! You're kinda correct: if they were vegetarians it would be bait fishing.

It reminds me, that video clip of the dryfly eat on the original post: on the 1st missed "eat", I set the hook and my fly flew back behind me and hooked a salmonfly in mid air. If I had just cast that right back in the water...it wouldn't have taken me 3 tries to hook that fish😄

20220531_154053.jpg

Shad

Life of the Party
Back in my saltwater conventional angling life, there were times that tuna would eat a cigarette butt dangled off a gaff in a feeding frenzy.
LOL! I used to like to joke with people new to steelheading that getting them to bite isn't the hard part... once you find one that hasn't been disturbed recently (the hard part) you can probably catch it on a cigarette butt threaded up a hook shank, as long as you can present it in a way that makes them curious, angry, or otherwise aroused.

Guess I better take up smoking, so I can test it! On second thought, the healthier option would be to learn to tie grass flies streamside....

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A couple weeks ago I watched what I think is a redside hanging out in the fish ladder windows at Bonneville. It was holding in one spot, clearly feeding/sampling anything drifting by. Including large chunks of milfoil. Not eating them but definitely taste testing. Guessing this happens waaay more than we realise

20220521_141957.jpg

Last edited: