The Fly Fisher in Olympia Is No More

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
For a shop to survive these days, it would need a catalog website plus sell through Amazon. I know the shop in Albany sells items through Amazon.

Plus, you'd need to offer a heck of a guide service. We have a shop in Corvallis, after coming and going many times, that offers many different guided trips... that isn't something you normally buy online.

I hope they can make it. I've seen many fly shops go down the drain and some were owned by good friends.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Huge bummer but not surprising unfortunately. Bjorn was one of our favorite customers when I worked at ECHO because he was just such a great dude. You could tell the shop had slowed way down, though, and he was struggling with the lack of fishing opportunities. The shop closing was an inevitability and I'm surprised he stuck it out as long as he did.

Bjorn is not tech-savvy and didn't even really do email or anything. Computers are just not part of how he operates. So the fact he survived in to 2023 as probably the only (or one of the last) remaining fly shop in the PNW without some kind of online presence is impressive. His shop going away is the passing on an era in my eyes. Not many of these shops left that are brick and mortar only operations. We're an online shopping world now.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
The fly shops that are brick and mortar and at the same time also online shops that double as a home base warehouse for shipping orders, also teaching classes, hosting guides etc... are how they will survive.

You have to be diversified. If I was just a brick and mortar I would of been out of business years ago. I have to do events, catering, wholesale to other restaurants, farmers markets and shows to make ends meet.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
For a shop to survive these days, it would need a catalog website plus sell through Amazon. I know the shop in Albany sells items through Amazon.

Plus, you'd need to offer a heck of a guide service. We have a shop in Corvallis, after coming and going many times, that offers many different guided trips... that isn't something you normally buy online.

I hope they can make it. I've seen many fly shops go down the drain and some were owned by good friends.
Sorry I didn't see your post, I started typing last night. Basically the same thing 👍

jeradjames

Steelhead
Isn’t Matt running Puget Sound Fly Shop in Tacoma now that Anil went to work for Far Bank?

Edit: Fly SHOP, not Fly Co. I’m gonna mess that one up for a long time.
David Dietrich from Adventure Angling opened up a fly shop in Ruston near the Point Defiance launch in October or so. I haven't been in his shop so I'm not sure about what he stocks but I went out with him in September and he was a really knowledgeable and helpful guy,

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Huge bummer but not surprising unfortunately. Bjorn was one of our favorite customers when I worked at ECHO because he was just such a great dude. You could tell the shop had slowed way down, though, and he was struggling with the lack of fishing opportunities. The shop closing was an inevitability and I'm surprised he stuck it out as long as he did.

Bjorn is not tech-savvy and didn't even really do email or anything. Computers are just not part of how he operates. So the fact he survived in to 2023 as probably the only (or one of the last) remaining fly shop in the PNW without some kind of online presence is impressive. His shop going away is the passing on an era in my eyes. Not many of these shops left that are brick and mortar only operations. We're an online shopping world now.

That's part of what made the shop great. It was all in-person. Plus, it was tiny. I don't think he would have had room for a computer. When I needed something, I walked or drove there. I always had a nicer experience and came away with much more than I could have via an online visit elsewhere. Having said that, I agree that not having an online presence limited his options.

I'm bummed and will really miss that place. I always got great advice, materials and service there. Also, you could hang out with the shop dogs. They always treated me well, too.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ouch! This is gonna' hurt. I don't often need much, but Bjorn has always been a reliable supplier of materials and the occasional fly line. I only dropped in every 3 or 4 months. I hate going online when I only need a few small things, but may have to now.

Am surprised Bjorn lasted as long as he did. Bought my first spey rod from the shop -25 years ago when his dad was also there. The end of an era for sure and one we have all been watching for a long time. As they say-"nothing stays the same forever" - but part of me wishes some things would.

Kado

Steelhead
David Dietrich from Adventure Angling opened up a fly shop in Ruston near the Point Defiance launch in October or so. I haven't been in his shop so I'm not sure about what he stocks but I went out with him in September and he was a really knowledgeable and helpful guy,
I have not heard this and I can't find any kind of presence online. I know he spent a lot of time at Puget Sound Fly Shop. Another fly shop in Tacoma would be tough....cool....but tough. I'll have to check it out once I find out where it is.
Mark

jeradjames

Steelhead
I have not heard this and I can't find any kind of presence online. I know he spent a lot of time at Puget Sound Fly Shop. Another fly shop in Tacoma would be tough....cool....but tough. I'll have to check it out once I find out where it is.
Mark
It’s supposedly on Pearl St. I don’t know any details other than what I’ve seen on his instagram.
IMG_8284.png

O clarkii lewisi

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Ouch! This is gonna' hurt. I don't often need much, but Bjorn has always been a reliable supplier of materials and the occasional fly line. I only dropped in every 3 or 4 months. I hate going online when I only need a few small things, but may have to now.
Damn, Fly Fisher Lacey was my shop too. :cry: I enjoyed every interaction with Bjorn and bought my last Echo from him. He did alot of custom fly tying for fishing all over the planet and I hope that he maintains that as his gig. Will miss the shop and him. I maintain that Bjorn Beech is one of the best fly fishing shop owner names out there! Hope that he is well and spending more days out on the water.

Jisabi

Steelhead
I learned so much from Bjorn and really enjoyed his company and guidance over the years. This is a huge loss for the area. For present anglers who need a local hub, and for future anglers looking to get started. I also wish Bjorn and the dogs the best going forward.

JudyM

Steelhead
Even though I am a gear/bait fishing person, I do notice fly fishing shops. One across the Willamette: https://www.royaltreatmentflyfishing.com/ The other shop much closer in Clackamas was Great American Tackle shop owned by Gary Waterhouse. It is closed and I miss our chats.

Last edited:

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
Bjorn is a super nice and helpful person, his shop closing is most definitely a loss for the area. I wish him well for the future. If you're needing a place to go and sort through material to see what you're getting don't forget Mike at Lost Creek in Onalaska. Top notch guy that is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Bjorn's dad(George) opened the fly shop in the mid 1970's. When his dad retired, Bjorn took the shop over. He took it to a whole new level. He helped me out with fly tying technics and fly fishing equipment. He was a dealer for Gary La Ffontaine rods and the Stealth rod IMHO is one of best casting rod every built. His customer service was the best. He had a large selection of furled leader that were the best. He was so knowledgeable anything related to fly fishing. His fly fishing shop will be sorely missed.!

Roger

Greg Price

Steelhead
Wow I am going to miss Bjorn. He made furled leaders and custom glow in dark flies for my night adventures. Such a great fellow. He mailed both to me USPS for free in an envelope. I think I still have his last envelop and will hang on to it for sentimental purposes.