The European Equivalent to our Winter Steelheading

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I came across this video and every statement he makes about Spring Salmon fishing in Scotland is the exact mirror image of Winter Steelheading. From the cold, to the time, to the money, to the exquisite feeling that every cast for a Steelhead gives you. I never thought I would care too much for Steelheading, but after doing it I think I will continue to for as long as we are able. There is something special about knowing working thoroughly every inch of fishy looking water, knowing the next cast most likely won't give you a fish but always wondering "what if".

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Reminds me of the Moen/Patagonia video from about 9 years ago. Time flies...
Great videography, but boy, is that story line dated. "You have no trouble finding a place to fish. . . . There's hardly anyone out there . . ." Etc. I've fished nearly every winter steelhead river in WA, and that simply isn't true anywhere over the last 30 years or so, week days included. I think I know every strategy for finding less pressured water, and it's an uncommon find. And what's with these guys, as uncommon as a winter run hook up is, yet they always have a buddy or ghillie standing by to help land the fish. Who the hell actually fishes like that? Duh, I guess that would be the guys who also have Todd Moen standing by as the day's videographer. But anyone else?

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Great videography, but boy, is that story line dated. "You have no trouble finding a place to fish. . . . There's hardly anyone out there . . ." Etc. I've fished nearly every winter steelhead river in WA, and that simply isn't true anywhere over the last 30 years or so, week days included. I think I know every strategy for finding less pressured water, and it's an uncommon find. And what's with these guys, as uncommon as a winter run hook up is, yet they always have a buddy or ghillie standing by to help land the fish. Who the hell actually fishes like that? Duh, I guess that would be the guys who also have Todd Moen standing by as the day's videographer. But anyone else?
I partially disagree but then I also am a victim of shifting baselines and am new to Steelheading, and might just not be fishing the greatest water. On the Hoh and the Sauk over the weekend I had no issues finding Steelhead water to fish without standing next to someone else. It was not unfished water, and there were other fishermen on the bank, but definitely not combat fishing

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Kashf,

It should have been easy to find unpressured water on the Sauk River over the Memorial Day weekend because the river is closed. It doesn't open until June 1, unless there is an emergency opening regulation that I didn't see.

Sg

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Kashf,

It should have been easy to find unpressured water on the Sauk River over the Memorial Day weekend because the river is closed. It doesn't open until June 1, unless there is an emergency opening regulation that I didn't see.

Sg
For context that was during March and April!

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've fished nearly every winter steelhead river in WA, and that simply isn't true anywhere over the last 30 years or so, week days included.
Starting in 2006, when moving close enough to what would become my fave OR coastal river, scoured every inch of it from tidewater to it's source, in the process stumbling across an old thick rope, hidden in some bushes and tied to a large tree, used to drop down a short, steep ravine to a productive winter steelhead glide that became my go to.
I would stop, stuff my pack and rod into the bush's, drive another quarter mile to park, and trot back when the coast was clear. Never saw another angler there, never saw the rope distrurbed from the way I coiled it, never knew who originaly secured it.
Fish in that glide were susceptible to purple 'Pick Yer Pockets'. Exciting fun until a shoulder injury and repair ended rope work to my private Idaho...

Divad

Whitefish
I have two spots this year I’m bringing a rope ladder to, both great steelhead holds without access. As @SurfnFish noted in parking, I’ll leave my car a bit away and stealth run after throwing the essentials out the door first.

I’m too young to remember the easy days, but a little thinking out of the box and some long sleeves pays off. Hell I even gained access to a spot via a letter and now I checkup on their cabin whenever i fish it. They’re 2000miles away and love the status update, I owe them a fish this summer.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Starting in 2006, when moving close enough to what would become my fave OR coastal river, scoured every inch of it from tidewater to it's source, in the process stumbling across an old thick rope, hidden in some bushes and tied to a large tree, used to drop down a short, steep ravine to a productive winter steelhead glide that became my go to.
I would stop, stuff my pack and rod into the bush's, drive another quarter mile to park, and trot back when the coast was clear. Never saw another angler there, never saw the rope distrurbed from the way I coiled it, never knew who originaly secured it.
Fish in that glide were susceptible to purple 'Pick Yer Pockets'. Exciting fun until a shoulder injury and repair ended rope work to my private Idaho...

I used to fish a spot that involved a long rappel followed by an eventful kayak trip or a brutal accent. I generally opted for the boat as that's my comfort zone and my buddy the climb. I didn't like the climb. Frankly it scared me. We always retrieved the rope even though it was likely never to be found but I didn't want anyone getting the idea to access our private run.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have twice found fire hoses leading to a piece of water (both in Canada). Both times the run that it lead to was very productive.

As far as Winter steelhead and Spring salmon go. As I get older I like the warmer fishing much better.