The Enchantments

A beautiful area to hike to and within. Made 10 week-long trips there in the 70's and early 80's. Very fond memories. No lottery back then but it was being impacted by hikers and campers even with special rules in effect. I hope the powers-to-be take tighter control for access. A gem definitely worth saving/restoring...

Last edited:

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
My son-in-law has done this, and my daughter will be doing it. I don't really see the attraction, but they don't seem to understand drinking beer and shooting pool all night, so I guess to each his own. The solution to the "problem" I suppose is 24/7 enforcement of a permit access system to keep the riff-raff out. How much money ya got?

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
20230801_124739.jpg
Wow! A massive increase in applications. I've gotten permits and camped up there a couple times in years past, and it is an amazing area. It truly is fragile and needs protection though. Somehow the public agencies will need to trim down the number of through hikers, that is nuts.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
I've been up there a number of times too. My wife and I and FIL who was 76 at the time went in via Aasgard and camped at Gnome Tarn. He took pics while we climbed. I've heard that there are absolute hordes of through hikers there now. I'm glad I saw it way back when. I'm basically a grumpy old man now I guess.

Divad

Whitefish
Pictures will be shared with ease, plans will be made, others will follow, they'll have kids, be attracted to the PNW beauty, tell stories and an exponential growth takes place. Sprinkle locking people in their houses and closing trailheads for a year or more in the mix.

Unfortunately many wonders of the west are on this fast-track. Maybe we need a massive grizzly bear reintroduction or better yet hybridize them with polar bear for points in stalking human prey.

Reactions: NRC

Chadk

Life of the Party
I drove over Washington Pass this weekend. Never saw it so packed. Every trailhead parking lot was overflowing. Several had cars lined up over a mile along the highway. Blue Lake, Rainy Lake, and a few others. Insanity.

On the flipside, we drove a little further and had our pick of free dispersed camp sites and only saw a few people driving the back roads the whole weekend.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I drove over Washington Pass this weekend. Never saw it so packed. Every trailhead parking lot was overflowing. Several had cars lined up over a mile along the highway. Blue Lake, Rainy Lake, and a few others. Insanity.

On the flipside, we drove a little further and had our pick of free dispersed camp sites and only saw a few people driving the back roads the whole weekend.
In the 60’s we packed our small hunting group in there with our burro. We had that entire area all to ourselves.

We didn’t know how good we had it, and I’m very grateful to have those memories.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
In the 60’s we packed our small hunting group in there with our burro. We had that entire area all to ourselves.

We didn’t know how good we had it, and I’m very grateful to have those memories.
Before the highway went in, right?

The S Buttress of Cutthroat (the prominent face to the N, overlooking the highway between Bridge Creek and the Blue Lake TH) was first climbed by Fred Becky and Claunch Gordon in September 1958 round trip in one long day from the end of the Twisp River Road.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Before the highway went in, right?

The S Buttress of Cutthroat (the prominent face to the N, overlooking the highway between Bridge Creek and the Blue Lake TH) was first climbed by Fred Becky and Claunch Gordon in September 1958 round trip in one long day from the end of the Twisp River Road.
Yes before the hwy.

From the end of the Twisp R road at Gilbert, over Copper Pass then up Bridge Creek was the traditional/easiest route to the area. We also obtained access through the gates at Colonial Creek from the west, and Early Winters on the east while the highway was under construction.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Yes before the hwy.

From the end of the Twisp R road at Gilbert, over Copper Pass then up Bridge Creek was the traditional/easiest route to the area. We also obtained access through the gates at Colonial Creek from the west, and Early Winters on the east while the highway was under construction.
Must have been glorious!

Dekartes

Kill Pebble Permanently
Phil - Gnome Tarn is still a good camping spot! Like usual - the hordes stick to the trail and most permit holders camp right next to the trail and complain about the hordes... I had lunch at Gnome Tarn on Saturday and saw not a soul. What a great view from that spot. I fished Shield and then came over the backside next to Dragontail to get there - so didn't see anyone on the way there either. If I would have had a bivy and sleeping bag I may have stayed! It was so nice that day.

Dekartes

Kill Pebble Permanently
Wish I would have experienced what you all are talking about in the above string.... I have had plenty of solitude, but I feel like I was born 50 years too late. Would have liked to pull Kings out of the Stilly, etc... This area used to be Alaska. Still am grateful for what we have.

Dekartes

Kill Pebble Permanently
LOL! How you make that cut and don't know it.... They should not be in the back country at all!