NFR The absolute best of science ...

Non-fishing related

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Do you twist and split your Oreos and ever wondered why it splits the way it does (if you haven't, you don't think like a scientist)?

Do you dunk (my answer is NO!!!!), if yes, how long:

Let's get off the dam Twitter thread and have some real fun. All opinions welcome.

cheers

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
“While rheology cannot address questions like whether beans belong in chili...” :LOL:

I don’t split an Oreo open; I just bite it. If I were to split an Oreo, I wouldn’t twist. I would use the two-finger horizontal pressure method, the mechanics of which are apparently far less studied.

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
“While rheology cannot address questions like whether beans belong in chili...” :LOL:

I don’t split an Oreo open; I just bite it. If I were to split an Oreo, I wouldn’t twist. I would use the two-finger horizontal pressure method, the mechanics of which are apparently far less studied.

I think this needs some extensive study - I am certain overcoming the inertia and adhesive qualities of the cream filling using a two-finger horizontal pressure approach would invariably result in cooky breakage/crumble.

Any physicist in the house? @cody- , how up are you on your rheology?

cheers

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I think this needs some extensive study - I am certain overcoming the inertia and adhesive qualities of the cream filling using a two-finger horizontal pressure approach would invariably result in cooky breakage/crumble.

cheers
Used to do it all the time as a kid. Unless the formula has changed considerably, the Oreo wafers’ shear strength far exceeds that of the fluid (cream), provided that two finger pressure is correctly applied in plane with the wafer. Incorrectly applied pressure is likely to result in catastrophic wafer failure.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I am certain overcoming the inertia and adhesive qualities of the cream filling using a two-finger horizontal pressure approach would invariably result in cooky breakage/crumble.
This is particularly frustrating while one is dunking . . . I 2nd "no twist, always dunk." My Grandkids defy me, however . . .

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Ya well there was a real sicko during 3rd period lunch who was doxxing the filling in my buddies cookies.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
It seems local environmental variables need to be factored in. Sure, in a warm place with high relative humidity the filling may give way quite easily. But on a chilly PNW day I would twist first!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Oreos are about number three on my list of cookies. I usually forego dunking, twisting or other time wasting motions that get between me and all that sugary goodness, I gobble them all in one bite and get back to fishing.

cody-

Steelhead

cheers
I'm horrible. Coursework with Newtonian liquids was enough to make me feel like switching majors. I never touched non-Newtonian. Also, I dunk Oreos without splitting them.

kerrys

Ignored Member
You got the cookie apart with your preferred method. Now, how do you eat the two halves? Do you eat the one with the filling first? Do you scrape the filling off with your teeth? Your tongue? What if the filling came apart and some is on both sides?

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Oreos are about number three on my list of cookies. I usually forego dunking, twisting or other time wasting motions that get between me and all that sugary goodness, I gobble them all in one bite and get back to fishing.

@_WW_ , you and I just would not get along - growing up in Canada, my favorite cookie was fruit creams (picture below) - I would eat the cookie all around the central fruit, one small bite at a time, then the piece de resistance, the central jam filling went down in one bite - slow and steady - then get back to fishing.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 1.35.16 PM.png
Cheers

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
You got the cookie apart with your preferred method. Now, how do you eat the two halves? Do you eat the one with the filling first? Do you scrape the filling off with your teeth? Your tongue? What if the filling came apart and some is on both sides?
Scrape the cream off with teeth, eat the wafer that had the cream, then the non cream side - only way to do it (except for all the others)!!

Cheers

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I don't dunk, nor do I twist I pull the biscuits straight apart. 90% of the time the creme filling all ends up on one side. I scrape it off with my teeth and eat it, then eat each biscuit individually.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Dunk only, I gave up splitting years ago. When I was young, I vacillated between the twist and slide.

Now for the dunkers, to what depth do you dunk? For how long? Single dunk or double dunk?

I dunk the entire cookie using chopsticks and eat in 1 bite. Approximately 12 second submersion time

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Twist, scrape, no dunk. Dunking is for chocolate chip cookies (aka c-cubed)