Thank you for your service question.

Otter

Steelhead
At 5:00-8:00, (follow-up to 10:35) this Army-Army Reserve Veteran expresses the difference he experienced in appreciation for his service after tours in Vietnam vs. the Gulf War.

Brian, thank you for this video. Hearing directly from a person who served in both Vietnam and the Gulf, is very illuminating to me. I also appreciate him sharing his difficult moments in service, as well as his frank assessments of both conflicts, at the end of the interview.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
USAF 68-72...I truly appreciate it when someone says "thank you for your service".
USN 68-72. I thank vets for their service when they're wearing a hat, shirt, jacket or something that identifies their military veteran status. Invariably they nod or say thanks. Not many people were thanking veterans for their service in '72 when Dean and I were separated from active duty. @Rob Allen, I don't think you're being trite when you thank a vet for his service, I think you are being respectful.

Otter

Steelhead
But in 1980, my Air Force Veteran wife had 2 prospective employers in Tacoma mock her Air Force (HF radio comms, SAC command and control) service after her ETS.
That’s terrible. Some people just lack basic respect for others. That’s one reason I like fish more than humans! Present company excepted!

JodyRay

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When I'm thanked for my service, I simply reply with, "Thank you for your support."

I watched a presentation by a veteran's group about this subject, and one combat veteran said he hated being thanked. He saw the horrible aftereffects of his actions in the war and did not want to be thanked for what he felt responsible for. Every time someone thanked him, it brought back all those images.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
After drawing a low number in the first year of the draft lottery in 1970 I don't need any reminders of what occurred. I just wish my Dad had been wealthy enough to buy me some bone spurs.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
When I'm thanked for my service, I simply reply with, "Thank you for your support."

I watched a presentation by a veteran's group about this subject, and one combat veteran said he hated being thanked. He saw the horrible aftereffects of his actions in the war and did not want to be thanked for what he felt responsible for. Every time someone thanked him, it brought back all those images.
Those horrible things were done in my place. I am at fault for the things they had to do and see. Veterans have no responsibility at all for what they do. The blame goes of those who they represent, that's me. I imagine that's small to no comfort but it's the truth.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

Thank You for that perspective. The trauma each individual suffered is unique, as is the path for healing.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don't know a damned thing about combat. I know nothing about being in the military really. I don't know where any particular veteran comes from, why they served, how they served, where they served, or how they feel about it. I do not know if they want to talk about it, or have it brought up. Veterans are not a homogenous block of people.

I know that people who I have spoken to and have served, have communicated a wide range of feelings towards serving and their experience. I've come to the conclusion that it is not for me to bring it up. It's an experience that I have no right to. If a veteran chooses to bring up their experience, I am always interested for sure but I try to show some respect by understanding that they get to choose if they want to initiate any discussion about their experiences.

Having never seen any sort of combat, I assume that here is no way that I could really empathize with those that have. Combat seems to be too intense/ massive of an event for me to comprehend. Simply I have not gone through it. I am not willing to bring it up for my own curiosity or my own interest.

It's a difficult line. I choose to be deferential with regards to bringing it up.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
USANG 1969-1977
Where I live most of the men and many women I meet are vets.
Proud to have served, happy to still be alive.
So thank you all very much.
Also to those 11 friends that returned home in boxes before I joined.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
USAF 68'-72', never served in harm's way, never bring it up unless asked, was just doing a job to help my country.
For my friends who served in combat, however, I find it is either the last thing they want to take about, or something they were proud as hell of doing, mostly because of the bond they formed with their fellow soldiers.
They want to talk, I'm glad to listen.

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I don't display anything that would suggest I served, and I think all I have left of that time is my DD214, but it seems to me if someone openly identifies as an active duty member or a veteran, they're proud of what they did and it's fine to thank them. And not just at this time of year.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I don't display anything that would suggest I served, and I think all I have left of that time is my DD214, but it seems to me if someone openly identifies as an active duty member or a veteran, they're proud of what they did and it's fine to thank them. And not just at this time of year.
I agree with you, if someone is wearing a hat or shirt showing their service, I thank them. Otherwise, how would I know. My DD214(N) is all I have left.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm a technodinosaur so not sure how to send a link here but there is an organization called Healing Waters for fly fisher veterans. A local fly fishing club known as Salmon Creek Flyfishers (to which I admit I'm not a member but I have good intentions to begin attending meetings) is involved with this. I am thankful for the service of all veterans although I am not one. I was drafted in 65 but failed my induction physical. Two of my close friends and fishing buddies served in Vietnam but are reluctant to talk about it. I respect that.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
If someone wants to thank me for my military service, I just respond with “Well thank you for saying that, it was my honor To serve..” It was different back in the late 60’s and early 70’s. We veterans took a lot of shit for serving in or during the Vietnam debacle. Our short hair set us out in a crowd, that’s for sure. Our non serving age cohort called us .”baby killers” and the “Greatest Generation” that sent is into that mess called us “cry babies”. It was an awful time for sure.

I was in a big meeting and training session in 2002 or so. There were about 200 people in attendance and the chairperson told the veterans in the group to stand up. There was a very loud applause and cheering from the audience which caught me by surprise. My high school buddy, an Army infantry RTO, combat wounded in Vietnam, was standing next to me. It stunned him. My response (an Air Force, foreign language instructor in Vietnam) was similar. It got to both of us, I guess. Some national healing perhaps?

Last edited: