Thank you for your service question.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
In my work I come into contact with veterans and I always thank them for their service and I mean it but it feels kinda trite and mundane. I want to ask them about their service but it's none of my business and they may not want to talk about it.
So I guess what I am asking is how in my daily work can I make veterans know they are more appreciated than just what amounts to a pleasantly or is a thank you as much as I can do?

Thanks.

PS.. couldn't get the prefix NFR to come up on my phone.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Totally anecdotal, so please take this with a grain of salt:

The military/vets that are in my friend circles actually don't like it when folks do this. Their attitude is "I was just doing a job. I got paid. There's nothing remarkable about what I did." (summarized obviously).

Not everyone may feel like that, the older generations especially would be my guess.

Don't feel like you need to force this in to your conversations from my experience.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
USN 26 years and I don't mind being thanked or asked questions about what I did and where I did it. (can't always say where I did it though)

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Totally anecdotal, so please take this with a grain of salt:

The military/vets that are in my friend circles actually don't like it when folks do this. Their attitude is "I was just doing a job. I got paid. There's nothing remarkable about what I did." (summarized obviously).

Not everyone may feel like that, the older generations especially would be my guess.

Don't feel like you need to force this in to your conversations from my experience.
Agreed. I was 5 years USN, mid 90's. No one ever seemed to say it back then. This seems to be a post 9/11 thing.

It does make me uncomfortable, what am i supposed to say? "you're welcome.."? Its not like I really did anyone any favors, just another job. No one owes me anything (other than the govt. and VA).

MGdriver

Smolt
In my work I come into contact with veterans and I always thank them for their service and I mean it but it feels kinda trite and mundane. I want to ask them about their service but it's none of my business and they may not want to talk about it.
So I guess what I am asking is how in my daily work can I make veterans know they are more appreciated than just what amounts to a pleasantly or is a thank you as much as I can do?

Thanks.

PS.. couldn't get the prefix NFR to come up on my phone.
I feel slightly embarassed and a tiny bit proud too. I always reply, " Thank the guys and gals who's names are on the wall. They gave everything" . This is not to be unappreciative , it's just becuase 50 years later it dosent mean much to me. I dont want somebady to say thanks for something done so long ago like they are trying to make up for how we were forgotten then.

Perhaps "newer" vets may find it more appealing. But I will not presume top speak for them.

RCF

Life of the Party
I will say 'Thank you for your service' when it feels right. For example if it comes up in a conversation or they are wearing something showing that they were in the service. From my POV it needs to be sincere and from the heart and that needs to be communicated with a handshake (sometimes) and looking at them straight in the eye when I say it. No PC BS from me...

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Interesting question. Lots of veterans on this site. I hope some will provide their POV. Maybe @Jerry Daschofsky will provide his POV with all his experience...
Ok, my 2 cents. Come from a big military family, most combat vets.

I've never ever thanked someone for their service. Definitely never quizzed them on their service outside of maybe what unit they served with. Never what exactly they did if they deployed to a combat zone.

I can honestly say that most who truly served in a combat zone feel uncomfortable when you thank them for their service, that's from my experience. And I dealt with thousands of military/veterans in the programs I ran.

If you want to give them a military/ veterans discount then just do that. No need to go beyond that. Like when I did the program. I chose to show them my thanks by working with them and helping them heal. Showing them through my volunteer work. As they say actions speak louder than words.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
USAF 68-72...I truly appreciate it when someone says "thank you for your service".

I read the stories of men who served during that time frame. Particularly those who served in SEA and I become filled with gratitude for their (your) service.
I have no greater respect for anyone than those wearing Vietnam Veteran hats.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
USMC 71 - 75

Doesn't matter to me.

I was, however, picking up a package at the USPS annex a few days ago and the only other vehicle in the parking lot near the entrance had Purple Heart plates. As I entered the door he and wife were leaving and I thanked them for their sacrifice....and he replied "thank you, I really appreciate that". From his age I suspect he was either a Korean War or Vietnam veteran.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
USAF (1968-1996). I am proud of my service and the 12 of 28 years I spent doing a job on foreign soil. I don’t hesitate to advertise my pride. When I get thanked for my service, it is often another vet and the chats can be interesting. Thanking a vet is no different than thanking anyone for something they’ve done well. Where it goes from there is pretty much up to the individuals. I have two vet flags in my place and they often entice conversations by passers by which are rarely focused on the specifics of service but more often or not pleasant conversation about the garden.
IMG_0833.jpegIMG_0832.jpeg

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
At 5:00-8:00, (follow-up to 10:35) this Army-Army Reserve Veteran expresses the difference he experienced in appreciation for his service after tours in Vietnam vs. the Gulf War.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Post Vietnam was a bad time for the army.
Bad time for Air Force too. In 1972, I came home to Seattle on leave after 8 mos of Basic and Tech school on PCS to McChord with a NORAD fighter interceptor squadron. Dad was an Army Air Corps Vet, Mom former Civil Defense and was Secretary to Boeing Space Division President, both brothers in Army, and my Mom didn't want me to wear my uniform in public! Tacoma was a little better. Then post Vietnam, cutbacks in Defense spending led to force drawdowns (purges), fewer promotions, low morale. I was blessed to find employment with Texas Instruments before my ETS in 1979, and that all my colleagues were former Navy and AF Avionics techs. But in 1980, my Air Force Veteran wife had 2 prospective employers in Tacoma mock her Air Force (HF radio comms, SAC command and control) service after her ETS.

Flymph

Steelhead
Bad time for Air Force too. In 1972, I came home to Seattle on leave after 8 mos of Basic and Tech school on PCS to McChord with a NORAD fighter interceptor squadron. Dad was an Army Air Corps Vet, Mom former Civil Defense and was Secretary to Boeing Space Division President, both brothers in Army, and my Mom didn't want me to wear my uniform in public! Tacoma was a little better. Then post Vietnam, cutbacks in Defense spending led to force drawdowns (purges), fewer promotions, low morale. I was blessed to find employment with Texas Instruments before my ETS in 1979, and that all my colleagues were former Navy and AF Avionics techs. But in 1980, my Air Force Veteran wife had 2 prospective employers in Tacoma mock her Air Force (HF radio comms, SAC command and control) service after her ETS.
Also stationed at McChord in the good old SAGE building for 3 years, 8 months with an early out to finish college degree. Hated being called a "baby killer" so VRB and early E-5 promotion did not = re-up!