TFO Pro II vs. Fenwick Boron X

Grant

Freshly Spawned
I am looking at getting a replacement for my first fly rod which got broken by the dog. I have the basics down but for sure still consider myself a beginner. I have fished for my whole life but I have only been learning to fly fish this past year and a half. Anyway… I am looking for a diverse trout rod that I can use both on cascade lakes and on the small rivers and creeks in Oregon. Secondarily I also might try to catch some smaller steelhead if I can’t keep myself from trying. I know no rod is ideal in all these situations but I am broke and would like to have a solid rod that can work in different situations. When I have more money and know more I will invest in rods for more specific uses.

I have heard amazing things about the TFO Pro II and I can get a 8’6” one in 5 wt new or used around $125-150 getting a good deal. It has a medium-fast action that seems like a good fit for me.

I have an opportunity for a 7’6” fenwick boron x at a steal for $120 that has been used once and is in perfect condition. I think the boron will be too fragile for me as a beginner and using it in diverse situations. I know it’s a really good deal but my gut says the pro II will work best for my needs and experience level.

Anyone with more experience able to give me some advice on if I am thinking strait here?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
8’6 will be the better length of the two for what you want. The 7’6” will be really more specialized to the creeks and small rivers.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm not familiar with that TFO rod, but its length will make it more of an all around rod for you.

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Another vote for the 8'-6" TFO Pro II rod. The 8'-6" length will be way more versatile for your fishing.

Not sure if you came across this YouTube review of the Professional.

I have the Pro/Pro II in 3 different weights and am a big fan of both TFO and Professional rods. You can't beat TFO's replacement service either. It's ideal for dogs and vehicle doors, etc. Pay the fee for a replacement section and your pain ends! I'm lucky having the Canadian distribution warehouse in Calgary and have walked in and bought 3 replacement sections for my rods the day after I broke them. All operator error - nothing to do with the rod design!

I have a 5 wt and 7 wt Professional and a 6 wt Pro II, all 9 ft long. I started with the 5 wt and used it for both Cutthroat fishing in streams along the Rockies and for lake fishing trout in Manitoba. The majority of the trout in Manitoba were 18" -24" Rainbows and Browns, although I did also catch 12" - 16" Walleye and Pike with the 5wt as well. I eventually picked up the 7 wt for tossing sinking lines in the wind while lake fishing. I got the 6 wt used for stream fishing on windy days later in the fall.

I found the medium - fast action of the Pro/Pro II was good for my particular casting stroke and are great all-round trout rods.

Good luck,
Ken

Divad

Whitefish
Fenwick’s customer service leaves a LOT to desire. TFO for that reason alone.

I own a TFO LK Legacy and love it after putting a new grip on it. The factory grip was so dang thin, not sure what’s on the Pro.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I don't know anything about the Fenwick Boron but have four TFO Proefssional Series rods, they're great.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Another vote for the TFO if you’re choosing only between those two. But I’d also encourage you to check out Echo. Their Lift rods (formerly Base) are awesome for the price. I just found them on Amazon for $110.

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When various joints were all in better shape I thought I could cast a TFO about 1:1 on dollars per foot. Buy a rod on sale for $80 and go try to toss the whole line. Depending on your casting, you might find a deal on a used one that could still get you into that ballpark. The trout won’t care much after $35 or $40, but if it gets you a better line (and more gas, and better boots) that’ll help.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
As a fellow board member once said to me….6 wts are the duct tape of PNW fly rod weights. You can do a whole lot of damage with a 6 wt here.
SF