Temporary opening of the Skykomish

flybill

Life of the Party
Considering heading there too but debating if I want to battle the Ben Howard tweakers
I've never had problems with Tweekers, but it was a cold rain this morning! The sun is out now, so many an evening thing! Tomorrow should work though!

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If the fishing is slow, burying a couple tweekers is always a productive community service.

I don’t frequent the Sky as much as I did in years past. The only tweakers or whatever you want to call them was around the Sultan area a mile or so each way. And it was a bit nerving a couple of times. A couple of times where I wish I had a firearm or at least a kick ass sic-em dog.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don’t frequent the Sky as much as I did in years past. The only tweakers or whatever you want to call them was around the Sultan area a mile or so each way. And it was a bit nerving a couple of times. A couple of times where I wish I had a firearm or at least a kick ass sic-em dog.
Every so often before work I would fish the Lewis Street hole for Summer Kings, got tired of hearing screaming at 6 o clock in the morning though, so I do it less.

Is cracker bar still a guaranteed busted window?

Something that makes it tough talking to other young people in Seattle is they seem to think being 6'4 and 200lbs gives me a magical force field that protects me from tweakers and rednecks looking to chase me off with an AR. Kinda worried that their votes might take away my right to protect myself with a magical forcefield that works (Open carry)

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Every so often before work I would fish the Lewis Street hole for Summer Kings, got tired of hearing screaming at 6 o clock in the morning though, so I do it less.

Is cracker bar still a guaranteed busted window?

Something that makes it tough talking to other young people in Seattle is they seem to think being 6'4 and 200lbs gives me a magical force field that protects me from tweakers and rednecks looking to chase me off with an AR. Kinda worried that their votes might take away my right to protect myself with a magical forcefield that works (Open carry)
Got your weight but 6’1-2”ish. Being alone in certain areas was never a concern … not even with wildlife (beats/cougars etc) but …. I’m sorry I do worry about tweakers and
lab rats. They are out there. I know !!!

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Got your weight but 6’1-2”ish. Being alone in certain areas was never a concern … not even with wildlife (beats/cougars etc) but …. I’m sorry I do worry about tweakers and
lab rats. They are out there. I know !!!
Are the river tweakers a different breed than the Seattle tweaker? Or are they part of the same ESU? I have yet to run into issues with the Seattle strain, even late at night alone

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
It's gotten better and it was never as bad as places like concrete but theres always a non-zero chance youll be out a window parking from everett to index. Just a bummer we have lost a ton of access because of tweakers.
Concrete during the winter season is a dark and angry place. Its inhabitants reflect this

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Are the river tweakers a different breed than the Seattle tweaker? Or are they part of the same ESU? I have yet to run into issues with the Seattle strain, even late at night alone

They are all what they are no matter where they are all from. They all have one goal.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
First good fall flood cleans up the cracker bar real nice. Fish it on the drop from 8,000 cfs. Flee home when it hits 500 cfs and the tweakers return from their Scotch broom hide outs.

flybill

Life of the Party
I seem to have most of my encounters from Nov and later, but I dont fish Springers up there anymore lol
They're up there all year long.. Cracker Bar.. I once was driving with OMJ up near Index, way in the backwoods.. as we came to the end of the road there was a beat up trailer aka Meth Lab or squatters.. I backed up for a few hundred yards until I could turn around.. no fishing for us there!

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just the winter?
First time fishing up there at a spot that is very safe and friendly year round (You guys probably know the one) I popped into a gas station to grab some ice, saw a rough looking guy screaming at his sweet little daughter who couldn't have been older than 8 just because she wanted some candy

JLT

20 years late to the game
Forum Supporter
Put in at Ben Howard yesterday for a quick float to the Lewis street bridge. Not a single tweaker or car full of scumbags in the lot or on the gravel bar. It was disorienting. We returned after dusk to the same empty parking lot and and all windows intact.

Fishing was meh. A half pounder and and a few zombies between 3 of us fishing frog water, soft water, and holes from the boat and swinging/stripping through a few runs. Very little coho surface activity. The fish got a little jumpier closer to the take out at sunset but no one one the bank was catching either.

flybill

Life of the Party
Was up at Ben Howard with my friend Jon. He got a couple sea run's and a rainbow. Conditions were perfect. Quite a few people out there, about half gear and the other half fly fishers. A couple of women who looked like they had it dialed in. Get out on the river before it closes at the end of the month! It was cold, so we started at about 1130 am instead of 930am. Best fishes!

Surfinflyfisher

Freshly Spawned
Was up at Ben Howard with my friend Jon. He got a couple sea run's and a rainbow. Conditions were perfect. Quite a few people out there, about half gear and the other half fly fishers. A couple of women who looked like they had it dialed in. Get out on the river before it closes at the end of the month! It was cold, so we started at about 1130 am instead of 930am. Best fishes!
Bill,
This is Larry, we talked at Ben Howard yesterday. Good getting to meet you and Jon. I read Jon's short story "A River Runs Under It" from Hatch magazine last night. Great story! Tell Jon that I loved it. Great local story with input from someone outside of the PNW.