Tell me about your favorite glass rods

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was looking over the Gray Wolf Rods website and admiring Shane Gray's rods and reels and I saw the Steffen Brothers rods. Beautiful, and I remember casting a Steffen once and being truly impressed. So I'm curious what are your favorite glass rods? What do you like about them? What do they cast like and what do you like to use them for? And if you have photos please post them.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Where to start? Honestly, that's mostly what I fish for virtually everything l fish for.

I'll just start with Steffen, since that's what you originally asked about then go from there.

I have 2, both rolled by Mark (more on that transition later). But my favorite all around trout rod (I tend to fish larger water) is my Steffen 8' 5/6wt bought direct sight unseen back in the mid-2000s. This thing is so beat up, but if I decided to just have it rebuilt, it'd look good as new honestly, I like the used and abused look to it. I also have an 8'6" 7/8wt which serves as my primary steelhead rod for either nymping or swinging. Once OPST came out with their stuff that was a game changer for people who like to swing. I've kinda moved on from that and started stripping streamers for them (another conversation for another day).

Ok, now on to various favorites for various fisheries....guess I'll start high and then go low.

Tuna: I freakin' love my Seele (Mike McFarland rolled) 8'2" 12wt (really more of a 12+). total fish tamer but wouldn't be the most fun to cast all day. I've also played with my North Fork Composites 10wt here which worked fine for me, but I'd never be one to recommend a 10wt for that fishery.

Muskies: Ah, muskies (well, tigers in my case)! The love/hate of my life. My favorite is my OG Epic Bandit (it's the 7'9" 3pc version....a 10wt) which handles any musky just fine, but maxes out on 10" flies (depending on construction) & the aforementioned NFC 10wt gets a bit of play here.

Steelhead: I don't fish for them as much as I used to, but my Steffen 8'6" 7/8wt probably gets the most play here, but I have a few 7wts that will also get some use (more later).

Smallies/Largies: I'd guess that my Echo BAG 7wt gets the most use here since it just excels at almost everything, but I do have a Berkley 7'6" Gowdy 6/7wt that is really really fun (also really really fun and solid for steelhead), an 8'6" Fisher 6/7wt that's fun but isn't as good in wind as the others (it's all relative though). My Steffen 7/8 gets some use here and If I think there are really large fish around, the Bandit also will be in play. I'm close to pulling the trigger on another Steffen though (8'3" 6/7) for this type of stuff though.

Trout: Steffen 8' 5/6wt....no contest (at least within the glass realm---lately I've been fishing my graphite euro rod a ton there though), the Berkley Gowdy & Fisher 6/7 also get a bunch of use here since one can turn over junk, yet they'll still bend deep on even trout....tons of fun.

That's probably a little more long-winded than you wanted (or needed), but that's mostly where I'm at in this journey.

Cheers!
Randy

oh, regarding the newer Steffen rods: Shane both purchased all of Mark's mandrels and Mark trained him exactly how he rolled his blanks, so basically the the current Steffen Bros rods will be nearly identical to the ones rolled by Mark.

Skimr

Smolt
Forum Supporter
2 primary rods. A Livingston Western Glass 8’ 6” 5wt. A blast to fish. I’m learning to overcome my bad casting habits and still learning this rod. Sensitive, deep bending and has soul.

Second rod is an Epic 370 fastglass 7’ 3wt. This is one sweet rod. Casts quite well both near and in the right conditions out to about 40’. Another deep bending flexible rod. Has easily handled browns up to 16” on 6x tippet. No matter the size of the fish it just comes alive.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm not nearly as versed in glass as the rest of this board is (and say, other boards).

I currently own two glass rods:
Livingston Western Glass 8'6" 5wt
Livingston Western Glass 8'9" 7wt

To be honest, both were kinda impulse because because they were screaming deals. I bought the 5wt as kind of an all around 5wt. Especially, backpacking situations (even though its a non-ideal 3 piece). And so far, it's proven perfect for that. It's really great at high lakes casting big (or small dries). But it also hucks leeches perfectly and all matter of fish feel great on it.

After I bought the 5wt, the 7wt popped up and I couldn't pass it up as another smallie rod. I got the 7 towards the end of the season so I haven't ridden it too hard, but it's such a fun rod and I can't wait to really put it through it's paces this spring. It'll be nice to have a popper/gurgler rod and a streamer rod both rigged in my boat this year.

As a bonus, I USED to have an Echo 8'6" River Glass (not the current iteration). And honestly, it was a fantastic rod, I just don't think I was ready for glass at the time.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I only have two. I love my 10 wt iconoglass, for muskie and tuna, although it’s a bit light for tuna. It’s fast enough to chuck big flies on heavy lines. Plus the colors are cool.

I also have a cgr 6-6 4 wt, which I don’t love. It’s kinda short and soft. It can be fun with stillwater dries, though, and it bends through the cork.

Here’s the IG in action

E1DC70EB-A7E1-4076-B115-85AB05160FA0.jpegF83A23BD-B38D-4754-B6A0-08B3969C9810.jpeg

Last edited:

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
First fly rod was, and still being used for bass and redfish, a St Croix Criterion 9’ 2pc GBH fro 1962. First fish on it was an Atlantic Salmon, St Mary’s River above Sherbrooke NS.

A Steffen 8’8” 8 wt 3 pc built by Larry Kenney that’s just an incredible casting rod. Redfish & False Albacore. I would definitely use it for the A/S Unicorns if I ever do that again. Balances perfectly with any of my S/W reels.

A Blue Halo 7’6” 4 wt that’s a hoot fishing blue lines in WNC. It has exceeded my expectations and I consider it a steal at the price, direct, I paid for it. Casts a DT3 F4 or F5 with equal balance. Great little rod.

An imported Fenwick Fenglass 7wt 3pc……meh…but workable.

A Shane Gray built McFarland blank 8’ 4pc 6 weight Para(bolic) 15 that I like with Wulff TT 5 floater. Timing is everything with this rod. A lot of reserve power, but wait….wait….now…..speed up and stop ✋

An Epic Fast Glass II 8’6” 4 pc 6 wt that is a cannon. Built by Charlie at Sweetwater Fly Rods in Virginia this rod is capable of what feels to be trout through low teens False Albacore. Going west with me this Spring, Colorado, Utah, and elsewhere. Going to be my Streamer rod for the foreseeable future.
884E12AE-DB7A-4F0B-B0C8-1DC4BF2DC7FF.jpeg
St Croix
Fenwick
Gray Wolf
Blue Halo
I’ll upload image of Epic later.
Steffen below at work:
1178A540-ADC0-4081-9CBD-2472B3AF6342.jpegE9520889-869D-48BB-998B-B1F41639E861.jpeg25E98834-CFB2-483A-89AC-A2BFB975CDF8.jpeg Epic FG II 868 Salsa

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I have the Steffen 8' 5/6 from Shane at Greywolf. Absolutely love fishing this rod. Usually I fish a couple wets, muddlers ect. Picks stuff up, casts like a dream, and puts the fly exactly where I want it. Little fish are fun, and its handled large ones too. Just feels good in hand. I've fished it with a wulff 5, a sylk 6, which are fine, but keep coming back to this 1/2 size heavy clearwater 5 line.
20211015_090815.jpg20211015_090822.jpg20211015_090827.jpg20211015_090548.jpg

Last edited:

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a Steffen 7’6” 3/4 3pc built by Chris Lantzy. It casts wonderfully and is a good glass rod for those who fish a lot of graphite and have a ‘graphite arm’. I love the rod except it is a 3 piece and not so hikable. Chris’s work is amazing if you are not familiar.
I also have the slowest trod on the planet, a 7’6” 3 weight Fisher. I can cast it fine if there is no wind, infrequent in the eastern Sierra where I live.
I have also had several Fenwicks including one of the newer Fenglass models as well as the ‘70s models. They all cast nicely. But the Steffen is dee-lux!

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I had a Steffen 8’ 5/6, liked it a lot, but thought it was not quite the 6 I was after, so traded for something that caught my eye. I have 4 glass rods I enjoy most, and 3 are Shane Gray built. The first was an Epic 480-3 purchased here. When it arrived I was stunned how nice it cast and was finished. Within the hour I called Shane and ordered an Epic 686-4 with a small FB and salt safe components. This rod goes to the afterlife with me, just in case. I’ve always liked travel rods and Shane had a 6 piece McFarland 579 (5wt) that I now take on trips. (Liz loves to travel so I begrudgingly go along ;-) Spiggot ferrules, it’s a terrific caster. My favorite though (except for the “all arounder” 686) is a Chris Barclay 70p (7’ 4wt) for small waters. It has a near cult following. So, for various reasons and in order: 686, 70p, 579, 480.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had a Steffen 8’ 5/6, liked it a lot, but thought it was not quite the 6 I was after, so traded for something that caught my eye. I have 4 glass rods I enjoy most, and 3 are Shane Gray built. The first was an Epic 480-3 purchased here. When it arrived I was stunned how nice it cast and was finished. Within the hour I called Shane and ordered an Epic 686-4 with a small FB and salt safe components. This rod goes to the afterlife with me, just in case. I’ve always liked travel rods and Shane had a 6 piece McFarland 579 (5wt) that I now take on trips. (Liz loves to travel so I begrudgingly go along ;-) Spiggot ferrules, it’s a terrific caster. My favorite though (except for the “all arounder” 686) is a Chris Barclay 70p (7’ 4wt) for small waters. It has a near cult following. So, for various reasons and in order: 686, 70p, 579, 480.
I've been in contact with Shane and plan to order a rod...just can't make up my mind which one yet! I've heard raves about his Steffen 8' 3/4. Sounds like it would be very nice to cast, but not at useful as a 5/6 around here. On the other hand, a 7' 4wt could be a ton of fun on tiny streams. Hmmmmm......

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
“Everyone should have a 7’6” 4wt.” John Gierach
I trust that quote kind of. I did own a Steffen 7’6” 4wt for a while. A worthy rod however the grip was too large, even for my fairly large hand, so off it went. I believe two 4wts are minimum. One around 7’ for intimate water, and another 8’ to 8’6” for a lightweight daily driver, offsetting the nymphing/light streamer 5 or 6wt. That 8’ 5/6 Steffen is very popular for a reason though, and you’ll always be happy with a Graywolf.
Bottom line: rathole money into your “B wallet” when you can, and over time acquire the 4 to 6 rod spectrum that covers your passion. My stable took over 10 years, but there were missteps. With focused planning (& resource) it can be done in far less time.

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
“Everyone should have a 7’6” 4wt.” John Gierach
I trust that quote kind of. I did own a Steffen 7’6” 4wt for a while. A worthy rod however the grip was too large, even for my fairly large hand, so off it went. I believe two 4wts are minimum. One around 7’ for intimate water, and another 8’ to 8’6” for a lightweight daily driver, offsetting the nymphing/light streamer 5 or 6wt. That 8’ 5/6 Steffen is very popular for a reason though, and you’ll always be happy with a Graywolf.
Bottom line: rathole money into your “B wallet” when you can, and over time acquire the 4 to 6 rod spectrum that covers your passion. My stable took over 10 years, but there were missteps. With focused planning (& resource) it can be done in far less time.

I like that quote. I however don’t have a 7’ 6” 4wt. I do have two lovely graphite 4wts: a 8’ Winston Biit and a Scott 884 G2. The Winston has been getting more love lately though. I really want to get a small water glass rod but have hesitated pulling the trigger because I REALLY don’t need one.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’ve cast that “Staff of Moses” 4wt, a truly remarkable rod. IMHO, the best Winstons ever made (that being one) are as good as it gets. For a long time I had a 586-3 WT. Some said the greatest graphite trout rod ever made. Could be, but I didn’t fish it much so (stupid me) I sold it, but I miss it often. Not long ago I acquired a deceased friends Winston DL4. This one happens to be a 4WT but DL4s came in other weights too. I would have thought nothing could touch the “Staff”, but this does easily. So, my problem is this plethora of 4wts. Not even a weight I usually throw, but I can’t imagine selling any of them.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve cast that “Staff of Moses” 4wt, a truly remarkable rod. IMHO, the best Winstons ever made (that being one) are as good as it gets. For a long time I had a 586-3 WT. Some said the greatest graphite trout rod ever made. Could be, but I didn’t fish it much so (stupid me) I sold it, but I miss it often. Not long ago I acquired a deceased friends Winston DL4. This one happens to be a 4WT but DL4s came in other weights too. I would have thought nothing could touch the “Staff”, but this does easily. So, my problem is this plethora of 4wts. Not even a weight I usually throw, but I can’t imagine selling any of them.

I could be wrong, but I thought the "Staff" was the 8'6"? I know people argue about it all the time (on other forums) and to be honest I could care less because it's SUCH A SWEET ROD. I've never cast the WT but I'd love to some day. I actually don't see a world where I would want or need the 586 because I really prefer my dry fly rods (at least my spring creek, small bug ones) to be 4wts.

I just love 4wts they're very pleasant to cast.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You could be right. I questioned myself after that post. The B2Ts struck me as incredibly smooth with just enough almost hidden power. I couldn’t afford one at the time. A joy to cast I’m sure. Pretty too.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
I could be wrong, but I thought the "Staff" was the 8'6"? I know people argue about it all the time (on other forums) and to be honest I could care less because it's SUCH A SWEET ROD. I've never cast the WT but I'd love to some day. I actually don't see a world where I would want or need the 586 because I really prefer my dry fly rods (at least my spring creek, small bug ones) to be 4wts.

I just love 4wts they're very pleasant to cast.

The staff of moses is the 486 biit. I couldn't afford one new either but was able to buy one used.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It’s an addiction. “Just one more cast.”
I can tell you the Microspeys are also a drug.
I’d bet those sellers have regret.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I've been using my trusty 1973 Fenwick Fenglass 8ft, 6# for 50 yrs now. Great rod for soft dry fly presentations and swinging soft hackles. I also use it for stripping leech in the local ponds. Yeah, there's better modern glass out now, but it's my old friend..
The new S2/ Zentron glass is a game changer. Many of the aforementioned rods use it now with rave reviews. Worth a look is your considering a new rod..

Edit----I just posted a new Iconoglass over on the classified..

Last edited:

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’ve hucked an ff806-2 farther than any other rod, using a DT6, just for fun in the park. My only Fenwick today is the ff857-2, strung 24/7, handy and ready. They built some fine rods, very fishable today.