Taking bamboo and classic reels to Iceland

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Have a fishing trip scheduled for Iceland in a month. Would like to bring some bamboo, classic reels and classic flies. I see that you're supposed to have all your fishing gear disinfected at the Rejkavik airport in a bath in a 2% formaldehyde solution or Virkon S for 10 minutes.

Anyone have experience with the disinfection process at the Rekjavik airport and any opinions as to how a formaldehyde bath or Virkon S bath will impact an impregnated or varnished bamboo rod or a classic old JW Young reel.

There's a loophole that says you don't have to go through the disenfection process for new gear. Has anyone tried taking unused flies into the country. Would hate to have a bunch of brand new streamers or classic atlantic flies put through a bath before they are even fished.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What you need is a chemist. There are a few on the classic fly rod forum.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
When I went late Jun in 2018, no one asked me to have my gear disinfected, even though I was fully expecting it. Make sure to bring warm layers…it was a bit chilly and windy when I went…and bring a head net in case the wind stops12DDA80F-E0F4-4B20-8E5D-0B2010BA300E.jpeg

kmudgn

Steelhead
Its hard to imagine that they would use formaldehyde as a disinfecting agent. It is very toxic and a known carcinogen. I don't know much about Vikon, but looked up the active ingrediant, peroximonosulfate. Based on the SDS (safety report) it does not seem to harsh, but it is an oxidizing agent (like bleach) and could (possibly) imact the color of the bamboo and cork. Clearly, you can't be the first person to have a bamboo rod at the airport so they should hopefullu know what they are doing. If you are given a choice, go with the Vikon

I did find one reference of caution though:
It is highly toxic to rainbow trout and moderately toxic to bluegill sunfish.

Good luck

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wow, that is one unexpected complication. I bet posting the same question on Clark's Classic Forum would have a better chance of finding someone with more recent direct experience with this. Good luck! If the volcanoes, fermented shark meat and ice floes don't get you, the darn bamboo rod disinfection team will. Could be an interesting article at any rate.