NFR Tablets or similar

Non-fishing related

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
NFR.....
My very old iPad is on its last legs. Before I spring for a new one, I figured I'd ask what other folks are using.
It won't be used for business. Mainly just surfing the web, email and watching videos and movies.
No need for mobile capabilities as I'll be hooked up to wifi and don't need a detachable keyboard either.
Keyboard on the screen is fine and something with a screen bigger then a cell phone for old eyes would be helpful.
I do like the 10" screen on my current iPad but it doesn't have to be that big.

Any suggestions on devices you like as I do my research would be appreciated.
SF

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I have a Fire from Amazon and it works really quite well. I see they are now offering one with a 10 inch screen. You may want to look into that option on the Amazon site.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
I love my old iPad and plan to replace it with another one when the time comes. My use is similar to yours, especially since I retired. Heck, I haven’t had to fire up my laptop once in the 7 months since. I’ve been researching newer iPad’s and will probably stick with a mid-sized, middle of the road one when the time comes. Hopefully, this one keeps on going for a while as I would rather spend the money on fishing!

cdnred

Life of the Party
I've been using a Microsoft Surface Pro with 256k, I'm on my second one. I really like it, easy to pack up similar to your iPad should you want to take it for travel. The lastest version is the Surface Pro 7 coming in with a 12.3" touch screen with an option of a detachable keyboard. I'm able to attach a pocket sized external drive ($100 or less) for storing files and I also install my own programs should I want something specific to use. I believe with the iPad, it doesn't allow for installing a variety of programs..

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
I currently have iPad (8th generation) 128 GB after my old one was having issues. I also have an iPhone and iMac so they all sorta act and look similar when using.
I use it the same as you. No games or high usage software needs.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Never owned a tablet myself, but my wife uses one pretty much for exactly what you described. Hers is a Fire that I bought her for Christmas a few years ago. She loves it and uses it every day. She watches shows on Netflix while getting ready in the bathroom in the mornings, and uses it on the couch an awful lot in the evenings.

I use it on occasion and have been impressed with how easy it is to use, and how well it performs. I believe I paid less than 200 bucks for it at the time.

I dont have much experience with other tablets but I'd have little reason to buy anything else when this one dies.