Switch rod over head casting, because at 75 both elbows, left shoulder, and now both thumbs.

Bagman

Steelhead
A few years back I started having problems with pain when single hand casting. Right elbow had bone on bone, so had that fixed, then a year later the left elbow started giving me some pain, so had it fix. Shots in the left shoulder fixed that problem. Now both thumbs are bone on bone. I’m only using a switch rod for all my beach fishing. My first time out after after the surgery release me I tried a 8 wt but it really caused pain in the thumbs so the next outing I took a 6wt switch, but on one fish I hooked I felt under gunned. So I started doing some yard casting. first I tried a Echo 12’ 6wt, I was surprised at how painful it was to cast that rod. So I stopped and pulled out my balance and started check weight on a few rods, this is what I found. Rod only no reel added
Echo 12’ 6wt 274 grams.
Sage Z Azis 11’ 8wt 221 grams
Sage Z Azis 11’ 7wt 215 grams. All were weight on the same scale. While
this may not seem like much to you young bucks but, let me say that the difference between the Echo 6wt and the Sage 7wt is 925 grains. Hell the heavyest fly line I use is 700 grains and it’s only user for albacore to get the line down deep, so I’m not hammering out 60-80 foots cast for 4-6 hrs. This is more for the older guy or those that are feeling the pain of trying to have fun.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Are you sticking with switch rods because you already own these rods? Echo and Beulah make two hand rods dedicated to overhand casting. You might want to check them out.

Bagman

Steelhead
I have a Beulah 9-10 11’, and Sage Z Axis 5wt 11’, 6wt 11’, 7wt 11’, and 8wt11’. So I’m petty will set. I can only fish a single for about an hour or 2 before I’m done

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Bagman what are you asking? my zaxis 6110 is my go-to, or was until recently. I have an orvis H2 115-4 that takes the same line, but is much lighter than the z. Are you looking for something specific?

Bagman

Steelhead
@Bagman what are you asking? my zaxis 6110 is my go-to, or was until recently. I have an orvis H2 115-4 that takes the same line, but is much lighter than the z. Are you looking for something specific?
I’m not really looking for any new rods, my 7wt and 8wt Zs are my favorite rods I’m just waiting for my Dr to get my damaged parts back in good no pain working order. The elbows are feeling good, I want to get thru this salmon and the two days of albacore fishing that I have reserved before I get started on my thumbs. from what I’ve read it like 6 months per thumb. Anyone out there had their thumbs joints worked over that can give me some information about it?

Bagman

Steelhead
Are you sticking with switch rods because you already own these rods? Echo and Beulah make two hand rods dedicated to overhand casting. You might want to check them out.
I’m sticking with switch rods because I can fish for 3-4 hrs and get up the next day and do it again. I can’t do that with single hand rods. The Echo beach rods even at 6wt are heaver then I like.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Give yourself a few years and then say to yourself "why can't I cast a rod anymore" I' m 87 and can still cast a single hander with ease. I'm only good for about an hour or so and then I have to rest. My problem is that I now fall down. Both knees are screwed. Back is hosed also. I need a cane to get around. Walking anyplace is out as walking is not a strong point. But here in Montana I know where the fish live and what time they get out and about. So I take a camp chair along so I can sit and cast my rods.

I this is not about fishing with a switch rod. But just letting you know about what's coming down the pike so to speak.

Bagman

Steelhead
Thinks for the warning. I already gave up surfing, not those short little things but nlong boarding. I could not carry my board any more, turns out the major part of the problem was my elbow was locking up on me. Now my balance sucks and that is messing up my fly fishing. And let’s not talk about CRS.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I wade above my knees on purpose, as the pressure and cold soothes my aching legs..two hand cast as it saves my aching shoulders..go fishing to ease my cluttered mind..

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Why not look for a lighter 6wt switch rod? I find a modern 9' 6wt can handle any coho you might encounter on the beach, so a switch 6wt should have no issues being under-gunned. Rod and line are both lighter that way.

Bagman

Steelhead
Why not look for a lighter 6wt switch rod? I find a modern 9' 6wt can handle any coho you might encounter on the beach, so a switch 6wt should have no issues being under-gunned. Rod and line are both lighter that way.
I have a 6wt Z switch, I hooked a good size coho on it last week but had a bit of a problem keeping it away from another fisherman. Ended up loosing it but can’t blame that on the rod. I have fished a 6wt switch for a few years, but have broken twice I’m trying a 7wt for the first time this year.