SW WA early season lake options

MackDad_Couv

Freshly Spawned
Hi - I'm new to this site and newly a resident of Vancouver, WA. Looking for a good spot in the area to try out a float tube I bought. Any recommendations for a good lake to do that on sometime this spring?

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I haven't check in a number of years, but Battleground Lake is usually well stocked with trout. You might look that up on the WDFW website and see if that's still the case.

Popular spot. It's small and gets a lot of pressure, but not so small you can't find space to cast and explore. Interesting lake really, being formed from a magma induced steam explosion.

While not nearly as deep as the more famous Crater Lake, BG is deep for a lake it's size with a max depth of 60'. That, with the many chilling subsurface springs, creates a favorable environment for hold-over trout survival.

I haven't fished it since my kids were still kids, but I've heard rumors of very large trout in deeper water. There are also now bluegill and bass.

FWIW, That's where I'd go to test a new tube or toon.

Last edited:

Paul_

Life of the Party
Battle Ground Lake https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/locations/lowland-lakes/battle-ground-lake
Horseshoe Lake
Kress Lake

Are great places to try out a float tube.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Battleground lake has pluses and minuses. It's well protected from wind. When the weather gets warm it gets crowded, all the way around the lake so if you have to take a leak you're in trouble with going back to the put in and hiking up to a bathroom which is likely to have it's doors locked. A boat is best for solving that situation but there is a $7 launch fee. The parking lot is up a steep hill, I'm old enough it's no fun walking up that damn thing. However I've had fun days fishing there.

Horseshoe has a nice launch that's free and next to a very nice city park. You'll hear freeway traffic from I-5 but if you're catching lots of fish it's okay. There's easily access to chem toilets. I've enjoyable spring days there too.

Kress also has a nice launch and is off the freeway enough so you won't hear it. It also doesn't get as windy as it is sometimes at Horseshoe.

Farther away are Silver Lake out of Castle Rock and up past White Salmon is Rowland. Rowland is on the Columbia river and subject to high winds a lot of days. Fishing there can be very productive. Silverlake is more of a warmwater species fishery.

Go explore and have some fun!