SW Montana Rivers Back To Normal

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
All the hysteria over low water and high water temps that flowed out of hoot owl closures over the last few weeks has lost some steam. On Friday evening, MTFWP lifted hoot owl closures for all but one SW Montana river. (Western MT rivers still have some closures) After a few weeks of afternoon temps in the 90s that corresponded with some low flows, hoot owls were in effect for many popular SW Montana rivers. Media hyped the situation with headlines like:

“Montana’s headwaters are in hot water” and statements like: “ The Beaverhead, Big Hole, Bitterroot, Jefferson, Lower Madison, Ruby, and Sun Rivers are all too hot and too low to sustain trout.” And “And when you consider Montana’s majestic headwater rivers are now too low and too hot for wild trout and salmon — it may well be too late already.”​

But the normal “heat wave” SW Montana experiences annually waned and cool, relatively wet weather moved in. Rivers rose and peak water temps dropped significantly. At one of my favorite gages on the Big Hole, both flow and temps are now well above long-term median. In fact, a recent conversation I had with a MTFWP biologist confirmed that there are sections of the Big Hole where fish populations are healthy and have stayed stable for many years.

Indeed there are issues with many of our SW Montana rivers, but uninformed media hype that ignores the long term NORMAL of our rivers is a shame.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
All the hysteria over low water and high water temps that flowed out of hoot owl closures over the last few weeks has lost some steam. On Friday evening, MTFWP lifted hoot owl closures for all but one SW Montana river. (Western MT rivers still have some closures) After a few weeks of afternoon temps in the 90s that corresponded with some low flows, hoot owls were in effect for many popular SW Montana rivers. Media hyped the situation with headlines like:

“Montana’s headwaters are in hot water” and statements like: “ The Beaverhead, Big Hole, Bitterroot, Jefferson, Lower Madison, Ruby, and Sun Rivers are all too hot and too low to sustain trout.” And “And when you consider Montana’s majestic headwater rivers are now too low and too hot for wild trout and salmon — it may well be too late already.”​

But the normal “heat wave” SW Montana experiences annually waned and cool, relatively wet weather moved in. Rivers rose and peak water temps dropped significantly. At one of my favorite gages on the Big Hole, both flow and temps are now well above long-term median. In fact, a recent conversation I had with a MTFWP biologist confirmed that there are sections of the Big Hole where fish populations are healthy and have stayed stable for many years.

Indeed there are issues with many of our SW Montana rivers, but uninformed media hype that ignores the long term NORMAL of our rivers is a shame.
The media has a marked propensity to take even the most mundane of daily news and inflate it to enormous proportions with words like danger, disaster and doom. Hyperbole is their MO having discovered that sensationalism sells. It's as if the news has to have a punchline and the more dramatic the punchline the better.

Meanwhile, back in reality, it is good to hear that things have moderated a bit. East Side Scott and I are planning a Montana stream trip once the fire danger recedes and it will be nice if things are somewhat normal.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Rondi...
Sweet...
:)
On my way, coming well armed to your local boat launch...representin' w/ my Washington plates.
That whole state has gotten a bit rough from what I hear, and so anyone who gets in my way gonna get a cap in their ass, doing it OG Montana style circa 1870...taking no chances here.

Even the grannies are packin' heat a couple states over I hear, tough grannies out that ways I heard.

I'll be sure to honor the traditional ways and cultural values of the area, best to not upset the longtime locals who moved there in the last 4 years. So no way in hell am I helping a sheep over the fence... leaving that action to the locals, no need for me to be 'that guy' moving in on 'their sheep', so y'all can breathe easy on that one.

Yippee ki yay homeslice(s)
🤣

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Rondi...
Sweet...
:)
On my way, coming well armed to your local boat launch...representin' w/ my Washington plates.
That whole state has gotten a bit rough from what I hear, and so anyone who gets in my way gonna get a cap in their ass, doing it OG Montana style circa 1870...taking no chances here.

Even the grannies are packin' heat a couple states over I hear, tough grannies out that ways I heard.

I'll be sure to honor the traditional ways and cultural values of the area, best to not upset the longtime locals who moved there in the last 4 years. So no way in hell am I helping a sheep over the fence... leaving that action to the locals, no need for me to be 'that guy' moving in on 'their sheep', so y'all can breathe easy on that one.

Yippee ki yay homeslice(s)
🤣
Solid Jim Travers vibe going on here. I dig it.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
The media has a marked propensity to take even the most mundane of daily news and inflate it to enormous proportions with words like danger, disaster and doom. Hyperbole is their MO having discovered that sensationalism sells. It's as if the news has to have a punchline and the more dramatic the punchline the better.
Exactly this. The goal of any news outlet is to scare you, or at least make you anxious. Once I realized that simple fact, life got a lot less stressful.

Also, with regards to click-bait headlines that are phrased in the form of a question, such as “Is ABC going to XYZ?”, the answer is always 100% of the time “No”. Skip the click and move on.

davew

Just Hatched
I was there last week. The headlines should read "The Miniscule Amount of Water Left in the Big Hole After Irrigation Withdrawals is Now Too Warm to Fish"

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was there last week. The headlines should read "The Miniscule Amount of Water Left in the Big Hole After Irrigation Withdrawals is Now Too Warm to Fish"
Where is there? The Big Hole is 153 miles long. What section are you talking about? I am curious as all gages are now reading 25-200% over long term median flows. Temps as well are well below long term median for most of the gages.

Last edited: