Sunrises Greet the Early Riser

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Got on the river early twice last week, well before official sunrise and was greeted with some stunning colors.
P7170124.JPG
This sunrise preceded an early morning breakout of intense thunderstorms that had the sky boiling and the river boiling with PMDs about 8:30AM.
P7200130.JPG
This sunrise three days later faded quickly into clear skies and a PMD hatch that didn't start until 10AM.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I love sunrises, but they're usually history by the time I get up.
Apart from the opportunity for some great sunrises, early starts have some sincerely practical advantages. On both these mornings the air temps at sunrise were in the low 40s despite forecast highs in the low 90s. Fish for 6 hours and get off the water around noon and you rarely experience temps exceeding the mid-70s. Water and air stay cooler in the mornings. Plus, trout, especially brown trout favor shady water. With the sun low in the sky during the early daylight hours, shady water is maximized. Finally, early starts allow you to visit waters well away from heavily pressured access points. Hatches may be everywhere on the river, but a hatch in un-pressured water several miles from the access is usually a lot more productive, but you got to start early to get there. Late starts usually find you visiting productive waters well after the best action. As a fish hunter, I am very much a crepuscular matutinal being.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Beautiful!
Apart from the opportunity for some great sunrises, early starts have some sincerely practical advantages. On both these mornings the air temps at sunrise were in the low 40s despite forecast highs in the low 90s. Fish for 6 hours and get off the water around noon and you rarely experience temps exceeding the mid-70s. Water and air stay cooler in the mornings. Plus, trout, especially brown trout favor shady water. With the sun low in the sky during the early daylight hours, shady water is maximized. Finally, early starts allow you to visit waters well away from heavily pressured access points. Hatches may be everywhere on the river, but a hatch in un-pressured water several miles from the access is usually a lot more productive, but you got to start early to get there. Late starts usually find you visiting productive waters well after the best action. As a fish hunter, I am very much a crepuscular matutinal being.
The "Fishing the last mile first" series you wrote helps shape my plans on the water, and I see it reflected here.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter