SFR Sunglasses lens endorsement

Sorta fishing-related

Mukman

Life of the Party
Several years ago, I finally found a pair of sunglasses that fit my face, didn’t slide down my nose when I sweat, and were super comfy. Over the years, the lenses have gotten beat up. Went on-line and found the same glasses for an exhorbitant amount. I figured I’d try to replace the lenses.

Just got the replacements through Revant Optics* and I’m thrilled. Fit is perfect, lenses are super clear, and of course they’re a fraction of the cost of replacement sunglasses.

Time will tell about their durability, but for the price I paid, I could go through several sets of lenses for the cost of new frames.

Anyway, since all of you fish with sunglasses, I thought I’d let you know of my experience with mail order lenses. Saved me a bunch of money and product is great.

*I have no relationship or affiliation with this company - just a happy customer.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
That's nice to hear and it saved you some money. I have some older Smith Chief sunglasses that I love and they are now discontinued. The lenses have a some scratches /blemishes from heavy use. I've thought about replacing the lenses. How difficult is it to replace them yourself?

Mukman

Life of the Party
That's nice to hear and it saved you some money. I have some older Smith Chief sunglasses that I love and they are now discontinued. The lenses have a some scratches /blemishes from heavy use. I've thought about replacing the lenses. How difficult is it to replace them yourself?
It was easier than I thought. I don’t know if the Smith’s are plastic frames like my Wiley X’s are, but a pro tip from the lens people was to heat the frames in warm water. New lenses popped right in.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
okay, thanks. I may have to look into it then. I'm not sure what the frames are made out of but they aren't metal so they're probably some type of plastic.

Divad

Whitefish
Do they remake in glass and/or poly?

My glass lenses looks significantly better than the plastic ones I have, wish I would have only bought glass.

Mukman

Life of the Party
Do they remake in glass and/or poly?

My glass lenses looks significantly better than the plastic ones I have, wish I would have only bought glass.
Agree with you re glass optics being much better. But, more $ because they’re harder to form, and they’re heavier. I don’t think this company I went through do glass - only poly.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Interesting! I've looked at these before and wondered how well they worked and how easy it would be to replace lenses

Replicant

Steelhead
I too, have used Revant Optics lenses in a favorite pair of Oakley's that are no longer made. If you look at Oakley's long enough, they will scratch right before your eyes. New, they're fantastic. I've had the Revant's for two years now and they're holding up very well.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I found that plastic lenses (Maui Jims for instance) are available with lighter (less dark) lenses. For me it was hard to find a pair of glass lenses that were not too dark. I bought Costa's "sunrise yellow" ($300). The yellow was weird at first but I really like them now. I fish a lot in the Puget Sound and I find that three pairs of sunglasses is almost necessary. A dark pair of Costas for when that sun is glaring like hell fire, the yellow ones for when its overcast or in shade and a pair of nice, light blue Maui Jims for their shear comfort. The muscular stress combined with intense glare puts a very heavy load on my eyeballs when I'm fishing, they often hurt at the end of a long day. I make a conscious effort to blink a lot, use eyedrops and I am always chasing the best eye protection and polarization.

c2peak

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Several years ago, I finally found a pair of sunglasses that fit my face, didn’t slide down my nose when I sweat, and were super comfy. Over the years, the lenses have gotten beat up. Went on-line and found the same glasses for an exhorbitant amount. I figured I’d try to replace the lenses.

Just got the replacements through Revant Optics* and I’m thrilled. Fit is perfect, lenses are super clear, and of course they’re a fraction of the cost of replacement sunglasses.

Time will tell about their durability, but for the price I paid, I could go through several sets of lenses for the cost of new frames.

Anyway, since all of you fish with sunglasses, I thought I’d let you know of my experience with mail order lenses. Saved me a bunch of money and product is great.

*I have no relationship or affiliation with this company - just a happy customer.

Thanks for this! I purchased a new pair of lenses from Revant and am very happy so far. Saved $$