Stuff in the Sky

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
A lot in this image, captured a few nights ago, some galaxies in the Virgo Cluster, a group of more than 1300 galaxies.

M 60, the third brightest member of the cluster, is an elliptical galaxy discovered by Johann Gottfried Keohler in April of 1779; Charles Messier added it to his catalogue 4 days later. M 60 is an elliptical galaxy, which unlike spiral galaxies, lack an organized structure and appear rather featureless. M 60 has a diameter of about 120,000 light years and has at its center a super massive black hole about 4.5 billion times as massive as the sun, one of the most massive black holes ever found. M 59, discovered by Gottfried Keohler at the same time as M 60, is also an elliptical galaxy. The central region of M 59 rotates in the opposite direction to the rest of the galaxy. M 58, discovered by Charles Messier in 1779, is a barred spiral galaxy, and one of the brightest in the Virgo Cluster. Located roughly 62 million light-years from Earth, M58 is the most distant Messier object.

NGC 4647 is a spiral galaxy that that neighbors M 61 and is about 2/3 the size of M 60, or about the size of our own Milky Way. It’s unclear if the 2 galaxies, which from our vantage point appear to overlap, actually interact; there is no evidence of new star formation, which is one of the clearest pieces of evidence for an interaction. Very recent detailed images from Hubble suggest the onset of some tidal interaction.

NGC 4567 and NGC 4568, called by some the Butterfly Galaxies and others the Siamese Twins, are a pair of spiral galaxies. The twins don’t seem to be too distorted by gravitational tides, but their molecular clouds are known to be colliding and are likely fueling giant star cluster formation.

Given the below is from just 7 light exposures (imaging was interrupted when IT decided it was time for an automated software update), it isn't too bad:

M 59 and 60-PS-Labelled  copy.jpg

Information from:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/messier-60

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap190201.html

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2018/messier-58

Cheers

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
After a prolonged hiatus due to incessantly cloudy skies, we’re back, and we thought we would close out Galaxy season with a bang. Supernova "SN2023ixf" was discovered by amateur astronomer Koichi Itagaki on May 19, 2023. A massive star in a spiral arm of M 101, the Pinwheel Galaxy ( #40 ), collapsed, causing a violent, massive and brilliant explosion. The fun thought is, this star was some 21 million light years away, meaning the explosion that just appeared in late May actually occurred 21 million years ago - a blast from the past, so to speak.

24 March 2022.
Pinwheel Galaxy-PS-Vibrance-cropped copy.jpg

13 June 2023

M 101 w SN-PS-labelled copy.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
The fun thought is, this star was some 21 million light years away, meaning the explosion that just appeared in late May actually occurred 21 million years ago
Thanks, I needed that. Somehow I don't feel quite so old now . . .

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
M 13, the Great Hercules Cluster, was discovered by Edmond Halley (of Halley’s comet fame) in 1714. As Halley noted, it shows itself to the naked eye, when the sky is serene and the Moon absent.” Some fiddy years later, in 1764, Charles Messier observed the cluster and added it as the 13th item in his catalogue. The Great Hercules Cluster contains several hundred thousand stars, with some sources suggesting over 1 million. The cluster is some 12 billion years old, and contains mostly very old red stars, though a single young blue star, Barnard 29 has been confirmed and is apparently a captured field star.

M13 was selected as the target for the Arecibo message, sent in 1974, in an effort to communicate the existence of human intelligence to hypothetical extraterrestrials inside the cluster. The rationale for M13 was that the density of the stars increased the odds of the message reaching a planet with intelligible life – one small catch, the message will not reach M 13 for another 25,000 years, at which time, M 13 will no longer be where the message was aimed. Oh well, it was really more of a proof of concept than an actual attempt.

M13 - PS copy.jpg

Cheers

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Waiting for the Observatory to come back on line, along with cooler weather. Updates must be very involved.
Nothing like 84° and 91% humidity @ 0400 and worse at 1130 pm, eh?

Had dinner at Mj’s the other night. Seafood Pot Pie was excellent.

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
We are grateful to be missed and hope to be up and running again in the not too distant future. Been hard to find clear nights, with the high humidity, always some clouds about, now tonight will be an almost full moon. Plus, the staff have been busy working on landscaping the grounds of the observatory and are completely bagged at the end of the day. Next week we will be up in New York state, perhaps scouting for new locations for the Observatory.

Cheer

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Last edited:

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This ^^^^
Had a boat delivery to the Boston area the day of and a trailer delivery to Jersey and had pre-planned to be in the Pocomoke Md area that night prior to. I only made Georgetown Del and grabbed a room hoping that………ZZZZZ.
1300 miles in 29 hours while avoiding NYC was enough. Missed it.
Night launches are impressive as hell. It still boggles the mind how impressively intelligent people can be while humanity itself still finds ways to be abhorrent at times.
About ten years back I was northbound out of Onancock Va at night when another one exploded on the launch pad at Wallops and lit up the night sky. A rather odious aroma in the air when passing through. Brought back bad memories of the Challenger in the 80s.
Thx again to @Canuck from Kansas for showing one of human’s bright sides.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Looking forward to the end of Summer Re-run season and evening skies becoming more clear. I don’t believe the SAG-AFTRA strike is in any way affecting @Canuck from Kansas ability to set up his new observatory but I surely miss the gravitational pull of his early morning night sky imaging. More sky! More sky!😉
Here’s hoping he finds everything in excellent condition and we get a new season of Canuck’s Galaxy Observation.
🤞🤞🤞

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Looking forward to the end of Summer Re-run season and evening skies becoming more clear. I don’t believe the SAG-AFTRA strike is in any way affecting @Canuck from Kansas ability to set up his new observatory but I surely miss the gravitational pull of his early morning night sky imaging. More sky! More sky!😉
Here’s hoping he finds everything in excellent condition and we get a new season of Canuck’s Galaxy Observation.
🤞🤞🤞
Yes, we certainly have been on a long summer hiatus, things still rather uncertain with regard to our geolocation. We are certainly hoping to be up and running sometime in the not too distant future. We did try to spot the new comet, but way too low on the horizon.

Cheers and Clear Skies - though I s'pose all those left coast folk want clouds and rain :)

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
From the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) to members 🤓 today ...
"October 14, 2023, and April 8, 2024, will bring both an annular and then a total solar eclipse. These celestial events will be followed widely by hams because of the sudden and dynamic changes that occur in the ionosphere during an eclipse. While much is known about ionospheric [radio] propagation, much is still to be learned. And these will be the last two solar eclipses in North America for nearly 20 years."
The best seats will be going fast. Get 'em now . ;)

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Well, seems the Moon has been rather promiscuous the last couple of nights, dancing with Jupiter 2 nights ago and then last night with Pleiades, the seven sisters, last night (I seem to have captured only 6 of the sisters):

Moon and Jupiter, 5:45 AM, 29 October 2023: Sony Alpha 77 - 600 mm
Moon and Jupiter.jpg

Moon dancing with Pleiades, the Seven Sisters, 5:10 AM, 30 October 2023 : Sony Alpha 77 - 157 mm (cropped about 50%)

Moon and Pleiedes copy.jpg

Cheers

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Heads up for anyone living where the skies will be clear tonight. Not-so-Northern Light forecast:

We had a strong G3/Kp7 storm going this morning (around 0330). It was clouded in on the Oregon Coast so it was a skunk for me. It's really hard to see the northern lights in our neck of the woods with the bright moon unless we have a Kp8 or Kp9 storm.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
We're socked-in (and snowy) here too.

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
I'm too dang far south - gotta move north. Miss being in the north.

Cheers