Streamer Max Short

Skol_Engh

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
In the pursuit of the perfect streamer line, I decided to try out an Airflo Streamer Max Short. It showed up in the mail today. Looks like I didn't read the fine print because it didn't come with a front loop. I'm still stoked for the line, it's just gonna require an extra step.

My plan is to nail knot some maxima to the end and make a perfection loop. My question is what lb maxima should I use? or would some 12lb or 16lb rio salmon steelhead tippet work? I typically fish streamers with short leaders and 3x. TIA

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
When I do that, I generally use 25 or 30 lb Maxima Ultragreen. Just depends what I have handy.
SF

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
heavyweight? or lightweight?

e.g. 6wt or 8+ wt?

I use that line in 6, 7, 9 & 10. for the 6wt, for a butt section, I albright a short section of 25lb Seaguar fluoro, for 7 & 9, it's 30lb Seaguar and for the 10wt, it's 40lb Seaguar. This is all after I've cut it wo where I prefer to fish it with each given weight.

I find that the albright knot never fails for me (I've had nail knots pop off on me with some larger fish----probably not an issue with lighter weights, but I don't like to risk it). It should also be noted that when tying my albright, I only go 6 turns and work the terminal end to where the that last wrap (closest to the end of the fly line) almost covers up the fold over. This will make the knot far less bulky (than how many folks tie it) and it'll slide through the guides waaay easier. If you're really anal about it, you can coat it with knot sense or something like that and it'll be even smoother.

hope that helps...

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I should’ve specified! It’s a 6wt line. Thanks for the information. That definitely helps
ah, ok....the nice thing is that once you do whatever you end up doing, it's super easy to customize that line to the rod you're primarily using for by cutting it back.

On my 7wt, I cut it back to ~225gr for the head (probably ~3' cut off the tip), and it's the perfect balance between overhead casting (and maintaining somewhat of a loop) and SH spey-style casting....all customized to a couple of my 7wt glass rods.

Skol_Engh

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice! I didn't even consider the customize factor of a line without a loop. That's awesome. I'll play around with it. Maybe the perfect streamer line is in all of us, all along.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Nail knot a 12 inch or so 20 lb Rio Steelhead and Salmon, and loop to loop a tippet on to it. Coat nail knot with thinned Aquaseal or UV knot sense. I like the Kreh loop knot for loops. Also I have become a big fan of Rio Steelhead and Salmon leader material. I like it more than Maxima.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
yeah, Airflo is super easy weld if you choose to go that route.

Timbow

Freshly Spawned
ah, ok....the nice thing is that once you do whatever you end up doing, it's super easy to customize that line to the rod you're primarily using for by cutting it back.

On my 7wt, I cut it back to ~225gr for the head (probably ~3' cut off the tip), and it's the perfect balance between overhead casting (and maintaining somewhat of a loop) and SH spey-style casting....all customized to a couple of my 7wt glass rods.
I find that underlining with these lines helps. Sure, you can cut it back but with such a short sinking section I don’t like cutting it.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It really depends on what you're doing with it. e.g. how you're fishing it.

The above example is on the extreme end. Fortunately, there's never a singular right answer (just look at the variety of answers on just the terminal end in the handful of responses here), otherwise life would be pretty boring. For me, how I fish them works quite well for me.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I have always thought that loops suck
I still use them but that's only because I am lazy..
On a 6wt. I'd use 18 inches of 25 ol maxima and a nail knot and I would blood knot my leader to it.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I have always thought that loops suck
I still use them but that's only because I am lazy..
On a 6wt. I'd use 18 inches of 25 ol maxima and a nail knot and I would blood knot my leader to it.
the funny thing is, I usually don't like them either, but on leaders like my musky stuff, I'll chop off the loop of the fly line, make my short leader and then have a large loop at the terminal end of that to facilitate quick fly changes (all flies are pre-rigged with bite tippet). I don't like loops, yet make an even larger one when it's all said and done...:LOL:

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Nice! I didn't even consider the customize factor of a line without a loop. That's awesome. I'll play around with it. Maybe the perfect streamer line is in all of us, all along.
Yeah they recommend trying it, then cutting off a 1' at a time until you get what you want. Or if you know the grain weight you like for the rod you are using you can just weigh it and chop it right where you want it.

For my lines without a front loop (and especially thin sinking lines) I just loop over the line and do two nail knots. I've meant to learn to weld my own loops but this method is quick and easy and I've never had one fail.