Streamer/Bass 7wt - Anyone tried the new Echo 84B?

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So I'm on the hunt for a streamer rod that will do double duty for bass in a 7wt, 9ft. I've been looking mainly at the Echo Ion XL which a quite a few folk here seem to like per another thread and a Fenwick Aetos. I looked at the Echo Streamer X but we're not talking double the money. I'm not opposed to spending more but not sure the Streamer X is worth the extra coin. Definitely a faster rod though.

Now, in comes the Echo 84B 7wt and it looks very interesting. Has anyone tried one of these out? I haven't been able to find much in terms of reviews or use reports out there given it's pretty new to the market. I think this would work well for both streamers and bass but hoping someone here might have some hands on experience with the rod? I've mainly just used 9ft rods but I do have a little TFO Pro II 3wt 7'6" that I love casting so I don't think 8'4" would be an issue for me.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
So I'm on the hunt for a streamer rod that will do double duty for bass in a 7wt, 9ft. I've been looking mainly at the Echo Ion XL which a quite a few folk here seem to like per another thread and a Fenwick Aetos. I looked at the Echo Streamer X but we're not talking double the money. I'm not opposed to spending more but not sure the Streamer X is worth the extra coin. Definitely a faster rod though.

Now, in comes the Echo 84B 7wt and it looks very interesting. Has anyone tried one of these out? I haven't been able to find much in terms of reviews or use reports out there given it's pretty new to the market. I think this would work well for both streamers and bass but hoping someone here might have some hands on experience with the rod? I've mainly just used 9ft rods but I do have a little TFO Pro II 3wt 7'6" that I love casting so I don't think 8'4" would be an issue for me.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
@Aleforme / Jim,

I've been playing with one since January. A little over 70 hours in, and I can tell you it's legit for everything you'd want to do with a 7wt in the PNW, and almost everything you'd want to do worldwide except things like permit at a distance. Handles a large variety of lines and casting styles with ease. It's fast, but call it moderate-fast.

I recommend a shooting head line in the 230-270 grain window unless you want to carry a bunch of line, in which case I'd recommend something around 190-210. Scientific Anglers Sonar Titan and MPX are nice on it, as is the old version of the Airflo 40+.

Check this site for a review--as soon as Evan or Josh approves it--but my recommendation is to get the Eight Four-B.

Edit: January, not December. Just like apparently today is February 5 and we're not in January anymore. Yeesh.

Last edited:

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Aleforme / Jim,

I've been playing with one since January. A little over 70 hours in, and I can tell you it's legit for everything you'd want to do with a 7wt in the PNW, and almost everything you'd want to do worldwide except things like permit at a distance. Handles a large variety of lines and casting styles with ease. It's fast, but call it moderate-fast.

I recommend a shooting head line in the 230-270 grain window unless you want to carry a bunch of line, in which case I'd recommend something around 190-210. Scientific Anglers Sonar Titan and MPX are nice on it, as is the old version of the Airflo 40+.

Check this site for a review--as soon as Evan or Josh approves it--but my recommendation is to get the Eight Four-B.

Edit: January, not December. Just like apparently today is February 5 and we're not in January anymore. Yeesh.

Thank you Jake! I'll take a look at your review but it's saying I don't have permission? Appreciate your time reviewing this rod!

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Try again? I think Evan has now made it public. May require a browser refresh?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
@Aleforme are you in the greater Seattle area? I can let you play with this one.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Aleforme are you in the greater Seattle area? I can let you play with this one.

I am, and I might just take you up on that in the next few weeks. I've got a lot of travel over the next couple of weeks so maybe after that. I might hit you up once things slow down a bit and I can actually find some casting time. I appreciate the offer.

I'll read your review in a bit.

Jim

Divad

Whitefish
Fenwick has the WORST warranty service I’ve ever come across with two rods I’ve owned + ghosted emails and calls. Wouldn’t touch one of them if I were you. The TFO LK is a fast rod, not extra fast and can huck.

To be be honest the 8’4” sounds like a lot of fun. Assuming you’re not mending indicator rigs the length is very applicable to streamer fishing.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Fenwick has the WORST warranty service I’ve ever come across with two rods I’ve owned + ghosted emails and calls. Wouldn’t touch one of them if I were you. The TFO LK is a fast rod, not extra fast and can huck.

To be be honest the 8’4” sounds like a lot of fun. Assuming you’re not mending indicator rigs the length is very applicable to streamer fishing.
Yeah, mending was a bit of a readjustment/head scratcher at times, and not always successful. Fortunately the rod lends itself to aerial mends and the stiffness helps a bit because you don’t have to overcome a bendy long rod.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Plus there’s a very twisted joy to being the second person stepping in with an 8’4” nymph rig, behind a stranger who just swung it with a 13’ Spey rod.

The look on his face was priceless.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

I appreciate it. I’ve only had Fenwick gear rods in the past and luckily never had a reason to use the “warranty”. But Fly Rods are a different animal and definitely more prone to breaks.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yeah, mending was a bit of a readjustment/head scratcher at times, and not always successful. Fortunately the rod lends itself to aerial mends and the stiffness helps a bit because you don’t have to overcome a bendy long rod.
Luckily, this will just be a dedicated streamer and bass rod.

But, might see some SRC/Rezzie use. Regardless, mending needed.

Aisosks

Freshly Spawned
How does it compare to the Echo Streamer X? I'm looking for an 8wt that can chuck poppers and streamers at cruising hampala barb.
Oh btw I think I'ma use a WF8F Rio Elite Warmwater Predator