Strange, weird or odd or whatever beach finds thread….

RCF

Life of the Party
View attachment 104075
Whale skull that washed up in front of our condo during Saturday night's weather shitshow. Not sure of the species (I have an ask in to my SIL the cetacean PhD), but if I had to guess based on location and odds, I'd say a grey whale.

That is amazing! AMAZING!!. A first for me for sure. And who woulda thunk it would happen on a fishing site? Never in my wildest dreams....

Thank you so much for sharing.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Do these cans have a BBD (best by decade) label?
Steve

Not sure, but based on the faded label I’d say it’s been adrift in the Salish sea for a while. Likely way past its pull date, so I pulled the tab and watered some parking lot plants with it. 😉
SF

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I graduated from Mt Rainier high school…….killed lots of brain cells with that beer! And kegs of Brew 66….bottom of the barrel but at $1.00 a red plastic cup in the 70’s making $1.75 at Taco Time it still was a good buzz!

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
1708832912429.png
This possibly anadromous Kauai snail could be considered beach adjacent. :). To my untrained eye, the shell looked nearly identical to ones we saw on saltwater beaches earlier in the trip. Was kind of surprised to see it 2 miles and change from the salt along a Wailua River trail, but I know nothing of invertebrates and couldn't find any info in a brief look at the Hawaii DNR "Meet the Snails" page.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I had a beaver swim by me a few years ago while beach fishing. At first I thought it was an otter. I assume the beaver(s) in the park below my house migrated there via the salt from other areas.
SF

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter

Interesting article. In short, can be a risky lifestyle choice
It is an interesting article, both the ecology and proposed pathophysiology. River otters in the Salish Sea can be even more marine than beavers as they are often not closely associated with freshwater rivers and streams. Presumably, the otters also ingest significant titers of salt water, especially through their marine food. And yet they don't appear to suffer from any ill effects of this exposure to salt water.
Steve

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter

cdnred

Life of the Party
Not being on the coast, what's the most favorable places (nearest towns) to find these strange and weird oddities for exploring..? Best sections along the Puget Sound coast or are all areas about the same..?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Not being on the coast, what's the most favorable places (nearest towns) to find these strange and weird oddities for exploring..? Best sections along the Puget Sound coast or are all areas about the same..?

On Puget Sound and Hood Canal, they are all about the same location wise in my opinion. There is stuff washing in on a daily basis plus what gets left on our beaches after a nice weekend like what we just had.
I don’t fish the coast, but it is likely the same there.
SF