Strait Butts

Russell

Steelhead
Hi Russell,
While they share the common epithet "halibut", there are actually two different species. The California halibut, which is most common south of San Francisco, is Paralichthys californicus. Fish reach a maximum size of 60" and 72 pounds (and 30ish years old) and migrate inshore in spring to estuaries to breed. The larvae and first-year juveniles use bays and estuaries as nurseries. California halibut include both left-handed and right-handed individuals (left-side up or right-side up).
The Pacific halibut, Hippoglossus stenolepis, is most common in the Gulf of Alaska and the Bering Sea with smaller populations off B.C., WA, Oregon, and into Northern California. This species reaches a maximum length of 9 feet and 500 pounds; fish can live for 50+ years. They are primarily found (and fished) along the continental shelf. In contrast to California halibut, Pacific halibut migrate into deeper waters at the edge of the continental shelf to breed in winter and then migrate to shallower feeding grounds in summer. The larvae are carried currents throughout the Gulf of Alaska. Pacific halibut are right-sided.
Steve
I know, but they taste the same to me.

headduck

Steelhead
I fish a single speed line counter with 1- 3lbs weight. We fish up to 400' but often much less. My wife uses the same gear... although with far fewer bait checks.

I'll graduate to electric one day.

Trick is to fish where there are multiple fisheries so you can break up the monotony and give the shoulder a rest... and make sure to get sumthin' in the ice chest.

Sieku and Neah win the day there...

Sure could use a fresh set of cheeks...oh so good.