Stonefly Nymphs - Weighted or Not?

Cliff

Steelhead
I have a question about tying and fishing stonefly nymphs. I generally fish smaller streams and I don't often fish stoneflies, but I will probably be able to get to some good Idaho and Montana streams this summer. Do you guys prefer fishing stoneflies with weight, lead wrap, beads, etc.? Or without? If I fish them I can always stick a split shot a few inches up the leader, so I don't know if tying them weighted is such a good idea unless you know for sure you're going to need it. What do you all say?

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I generally tie them with beads. If nymphing I'll usually fish a stonefly beside something small, a big tungsten bead gets it down without having to use split shot, or at least less split shot. Most rivers out there you will need split shot. Most guides I know out there prefer to fine tune their weight with split shot and leave their nymphs completely weightless. I think split shots are a PITA so I try to avoid them by tying nymphs in a few weights.

During stonefly hatches a big foam dry with a stonefly nymph dropper is deadly. I'll tie these weightless and even then they are pretty tough to float.

Cliff

Steelhead
Thank you both, I'll tie a dozen up naked and another dozen with a bead. Appreciate your advice.

NBC

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
When living in Montana, I tied them both weighted and unweighted. My dedicated stonefly box had one side for each. I didn't always enjoy loading up with splitshot so lead or tungsten incorporated onto the fly worked better for me.

Cliff

Steelhead
When living in Montana, I tied them both weighted and unweighted. My dedicated stonefly box had one side for each. I didn't always enjoy loading up with splitshot so lead or tungsten incorporated onto the fly worked better for me.
Thanks

Divad

Whitefish
Jig hook preferable if you have them, will help a little with fouling on the bottom. If using the jig hooks, I would try to get weight close to the head with a tungsten bead (3.8mm or above).

RCF

Life of the Party
Be aware that Glacier and Yellowstone NP do not allow using weighted (lead) flies.

Divad

Whitefish
Be aware that Glacier and Yellowstone NP do not allow using weighted (lead) flies.
To clarify, you can use weighted flys with tungsten but as you indicated lead is a no-no. The parentheses threw me off, as if all weighted flys you cannot use. Bracket situation 🤓

Be aware that Glacier and Yellowstone NP do not allow using weighted [lead] flies.

Reactions: RCF

Shad

Life of the Party
I tie some with beads, but I usually just wrap the hook shank with .10 lead (or lead-free, if required) wire to just behind the eye, then wrap 1/3 back again. Covering the wraps with thread creates a nice, contoured body and gets it down without beads/etc. (In my less than vast experience, they seem to fish best without shiny heads.)

Where legal (not in WA), I like to use a drop shot system to keep my nymphs right in the zone. Also, if you're ticking bottom with the split shot (not the fly), it slows down your drift just a tad slower than the current, which seems to be a bite trigger when nymphing. Also hangs up on the bottom less than split shot above the flies. Obviously, this doesn't work with a dry-dropper setup; only under an indicator. If you're going dry-dropper or can't use lead, I recommend a tungsten bead head to help get it down.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I usually go with either 4.0mm or 4.6mm tungsten beads primarily because it's often my tool fly. Although I did have several who wanted that over the egg over the weekend.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I don't often nymph fish while in Idaho and Montana, but I will just before the hatch while the Stonefly nymphs are crawling to the banks and the trout are actually looking for them. I like them weighted with lead wire and a prefer impressionistic flies vs realistic flies. Bitch creeks and pats rubber legs or girdle bugs. I only fish them very close to the bank..
For me this isn't searching for fish it's knowing where they are and giving them what they are looking for..
I don't know if that's helpful but that's how I use them and the only way I use them.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Echoing pretty much the suggestions you’ve already received - tend to do weighted, usually 3.5mm tungsten or 4mm for my waters but can see and have used heavier. I will also say I like them either with a little lead or brass bead if hanging one off a dry like a stimulator or big attractor.

Also agree with the impressionistic flies suggestion. I mess with different flies and material (sometimes dubbed bodies, sometime woven bodies, sometimes with back and wing case and other times without). Typically use rubber legs but hen or furnace hackle can be fine too.

Not sure if this helps as this basically covers most of the varieties (except realistic patterns)

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nymphing isn't my thing usually, aka I get terribly frustrated at how terrible I am at casting with weighted flies. But I am awesome at finding the bottom and donating flies to river systems.

Stoneflies are the only thing I can consistently catch fish on under the water. I also use beaded and a little wrap behind it.
I gave up on drop shot, only makes me look less stylish and graceful.

Found that color doesn't matter much. I've caught fish on black, green and orange all in the same day. Although i would listen to others over me if they disagree.
I just make sure to have a healthy amount of flies with me otherwise I run out.
I seem to gravitate to a size 8 or 10 pattern.

Just my limited experience.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Tungsten bead and lead wraps with mono sides for that sweet flattened tapered look…

Fished in the fast water just after the tail out.