Stillwater Mayflies

Taxon

Steelhead
Forum Legend
During the summer of 2007, biotic sampling was conducted in (1243) representitive lakes and reservoirs across the (48) contiguous states by individual state agencies. The biotic samples were identified to the lowest practical taxonomic level and counted by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

The below table Iists the mayflies nymphs collected from representative lakes and reservoirs across the US:

Order (Family Common Name)TaxonLevel
Ephemeroptera (Armored Mayfly)BaetiscaGenus
Ephemeroptera (Cleftfoot Minnow Mayfly)SiphloplectonGenus
Ephemeroptera (Common Burrower Mayfly)EphemeraGenus
Ephemeroptera (Common Burrower Mayfly)EphemeridaeFamily
Ephemeroptera (Common Burrower Mayfly)HexageniaGenus
Ephemeroptera (Flatheaded Mayfly)EcdyonurusGenus
Ephemeroptera (Flatheaded Mayfly)EpeorusGenus
Ephemeroptera (Flatheaded Mayfly)HeptageniidaeFamily
Ephemeroptera (Flatheaded Mayfly)LeucrocutaGenus
Ephemeroptera (Flatheaded Mayfly)MaccaffertiumGenus
Ephemeroptera (Flatheaded Mayfly)RhithrogenaGenus
Ephemeroptera (Flatheaded Mayfly)StenacronGenus
Ephemeroptera (Flatheaded Mayfly)StenonemaGenus
Ephemeroptera (Little Stout Crawler Mayfly)LeptohyphidaeFamily
Ephemeroptera (Little Stout Crawler Mayfly)TricorythodesGenus
Ephemeroptera (Mayfly)EphemeropteraOrder
Ephemeroptera (Pale Burrower Mayfly)EphoronGenus
Ephemeroptera (Pale Burrower Mayfly)PolymitarcyidaeFamily
Ephemeroptera (Primitive Minnow Mayfly)AmeletusGenus
Ephemeroptera (Primitive Minnow Mayfly)SiphlonurusGenus
Ephemeroptera (Pronggill Mayfly)ChoroterpesGenus
Ephemeroptera (Pronggill Mayfly)LeptophlebiaGenus
Ephemeroptera (Pronggill Mayfly)ParaleptophlebiaGenus
Ephemeroptera (Pronggill Mayfly)ThraulodesGenus
Ephemeroptera (Pronggilled Mayfly)LeptophlebiidaeFamily
Ephemeroptera (Small Minnow Mayfly)AcentrellaGenus
Ephemeroptera (Small Minnow Mayfly)ApobaetisGenus
Ephemeroptera (Small Minnow Mayfly)BaetidaeFamily
Ephemeroptera (Small Minnow Mayfly)BaetisGenus
Ephemeroptera (Small Minnow Mayfly)CallibaetisGenus
Ephemeroptera (Small Minnow Mayfly)CamelobaetidiusGenus
Ephemeroptera (Small Minnow Mayfly)CentroptilumGenus
Ephemeroptera (Small Minnow Mayfly)FallceonGenus
Ephemeroptera (Small Minnow Mayfly)ParacloeodesGenus
Ephemeroptera (Small Minnow Mayfly)ProcloeonGenus
Ephemeroptera (Small Minnow Mayfly)PseudocentroptiloidesGenus
Ephemeroptera (Small Minnow Mayfly)PseudocloeonGenus
Ephemeroptera (Small Squaregill Mayfly)BrachycercusGenus
Ephemeroptera (Small Squaregill Mayfly)CaenisGenus
Ephemeroptera (Spiny Crawler Mayfly)DentatellaGenus
Ephemeroptera (Spiny Crawler Mayfly)DrunellaGenus
Ephemeroptera (Spiny Crawler Mayfly)EphemerellidaeFamily
Ephemeroptera (Spiny Crawler Mayfly)EurylophellaGenus
Ephemeroptera (Spiny Crawler Mayfly)SerratellaGenus
TOTALS44

Surprisingly, the most frequently collected mayfly genus exceeded the second most frequently collected genus by a ratio of 6:1.

So, which of the above mayfly genera would you guess was most frequently collected?

Chucker

Steelhead
I suspected that it would be caenis. The number of them that can hatch at one time can be truly astounding. I suspect, though, that if it was done by weight that Hexagenia would be up there.

Chucker

Steelhead
I don't think so. I used to work on marine fish and crustaceans, my interest in freshwater entomology is purely amateur!

Taxon

Steelhead
Forum Legend
I suspected that it would be caenis. The number of them that can hatch at one time can be truly astounding.
Exactly. I remember watching an apparent hatch one evening at dusk on what (at the time) was my favorite east-of-the-Cascades lake. Of course, I couldn't actually see what was hatching. But, by standing on some elevated ground above the launch, I had a clear view of a perhaps 100-yards-diameter piece of a water in the bay to the left of the launch. There was not a breath of wind, so it was smooth as a mirror, except there were so many fish rising partly out of the water, that it simply boggled one's imagination.

It wasn't until we started loading my fishing partner's vehicle that we began to understand what we had just witnessed. There were perhaps a dozen tiny mayflies on the windows of the vehicle. And, the freshly emerged subimago would land, then almost immediately begin its final molt to imago, which as I recall, took less than a minute, and then fly off, occasionally even towing its subimaginal shuck in flight.

Luckily, I was able to capture several of those tiny mayflies. Upon getting home, those mayflies were put them under the magnification of a loupe, and identified as being of genus Caenis. So, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.;)

Last edited:

tkww

Steelhead
I've only been present for one Caenis hatch, and unfortunately it wasn't on a "lake"--it was really a river outflow--that had much in the way of fish in it. Or at least fish that would rise to the hatch. But wow, the numbers were mind-boggling.

002-Caenis.jpg

001-Caenis.jpg

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I love the common names of some of the bugs. Many do not sound Mayfly-ish in the least.

tkww

Steelhead
Hi tkww-

Very neat. What was that reddish surface they were on? Was the surface horizontal or was it vertical? What time of day did it occur?
Vehicle surface, vertical surface orientation I believe, and mid-late afternoon. Dated May 15.