Stilliguamish Gill Net

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I was surprised to see one as I crossed the river on I-5 today. I was northbound and saw it spanning a good chunk of the river just downstream of the bridge.

I’m not trying to create any conflict by posting this, but putting gill nets in the river (especially this one) does seem counter productive to protecting ESA listed fish in a river that’s closed to fishing for that very reason.

Does anyone here have any deeper knowledge of what’s going on here?

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Boldt legal decision from 1975.

Look it up. It’s easier than trying to decipher what's been said so many times on the forums.
I’m well aware of that.

Another way of asking …. are gillnets commonly seen on the Stilly these days or not?

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Nets harvesting chinook and early tidewater coho most likely.

I used to really enjoy fishing that river for cutthroat, steelhead, pink salmon, coho, and chums. Great action September into winter.

I was surprised to see one as I crossed the river on I-5 today. I was northbound and saw it spanning a good chunk of the river just downstream of the bridge.

I’m not trying to create any conflict by posting this, but putting gill nets in the river (especially this one) does seem counter productive to protecting ESA listed fish in a river that’s closed to fishing for that very reason.

Does anyone here have any deeper knowledge of what’s going on here?
Don't wonder, just call the Stillaguamish PD and ask for fish enforcement officer. Likely member for coho subsistence, not commercial. Tribe only nets live kings for broodstock for their hatchery near granite falls.

Smalma

Life of the Party
According to the co-manager list of agreed fisheries (LOAF) the tribe is currently conducting a Ceremonial and subsistence (c & S) fishery for pinks. It is pretty common location for their C&S fishery, the site is located just down the hill of the tribal offices.

The tribe filed a C & S Chinook fishery for between 5/1 to 8/1, the pink C & S fishery 8/1 to 9/6 , a commercial coho fishery 9/1 to 10/31 5 days a week, and C & S chum fishery later.

Remember there is an in-river recreational fishery targeting pinks and coho after the mixed stock fisheries in the salt. In recent years in the Chinook C & S the tribe has take a small handful of fish, well less than their allowable impacts.

Curt

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
According to the co-manager list of agreed fisheries (LOAF) the tribe is currently conducting a Ceremonial and subsistence (c & S) fishery for pinks. It is pretty common location for their C&S fishery, the site is located just down the hill of the tribal offices.

The tribe filed a C & S Chinook fishery for between 5/1 to 8/1, the pink C & S fishery 8/1 to 9/6 , a commercial coho fishery 9/1 to 10/31 5 days a week, and C & S chum fishery later.

Remember there is an in-river recreational fishery targeting pinks and coho after the mixed stock fisheries in the salt. In recent years in the Chinook C & S the tribe has take a small handful of fish, well less than their allowable impacts.

Curt
Thanks Curt. Appreciate the information.