SRC Saltwater Hooks

jeradjames

Steelhead
Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest me some hooks to start fly tying for SRC's in the salt? Based off of what I've been using, exclusively baitfish patterns, almost all are a size 6. I doubt all of them are saltwater hooks which I've heard might be better in the situation in which you end up losing the fly to the fish, it will break off quicker if it's not a saltwater hook. I have a vise and some basic tools I picked up and would like to start tying my own flies. Thanks for the help, any advice would be appreciated.

Jerad

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Some that I’ve used. You should get lots of suggestions.
Diiachi 2456 or X452
Umpqua U401 or Tiemco 811S
Gamakatsu SC15 - Mustad C47SD as an alternative
Gamakatsu SP11-3L3H - for floating flies
Gamakatsu SS15, though I’ve broken more of them than any local saltwater hooked I’ve used.
SF

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
As SF mentioned, the U401 are a great economical option as you play with patterns and techniques. Have had quite a few salmon on them too.

For trailing hooks I use the Eagle Claw Octopus or Gamakatsu Octopus, both in the uv coated offerings or plain plated. If only Owner made the No Escape in a size 6 or 8 for cutties.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
As SF mentioned, the U401 are a great economical option as you play with patterns and techniques. Have had quite a few salmon on them too.

For trailing hooks I use the Eagle Claw Octopus or Gamakatsu Octopus, both in the uv coated offerings or plain plated. If only Owner made the No Escape in a size 6 or 8 for cutties.

@Divad
I think you’d be happy with a size 4 No Escape for cutts. They run small.
Here is a size 4 No Escape on top compared to a size 4 Gami barbless octopus.

I know folks like to fish small hooks for cutts, but I tend to use a lot of size 4 in standard hooks for them. Just a personal preference.
SF

IMG_5098.jpeg

Zak

Legend
I like the Ahrex SA280 Minnow. Ahrex's Nordic Salt series of hooks are nice, too.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
I really like the Daiichi 2546 as well although I've been having a harder time finding them lately, I'd especially like to find some bulk quantities of them.

I tied some coho flies on the Ahrex SA220 - Streamer hook this summer and really liked those as well, but they are pricey compared to the Daiichi.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I really like the Daiichi 2546 as well although I've been having a harder time finding them lately, I'd especially like to find some bulk quantities of them.

I tied some coho flies on the Ahrex SA220 - Streamer hook this summer and really liked those as well, but they are pricey compared to the Daiichi.

Jon,
Ageee, definitely hard to find.
They took awhile to get them but Ryan at Avid got me a 100 pack of 2546’s not too long ago.
SF

Reactions: ffb

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Jon,
Ageee, definitely hard to find.
They took awhile to get them but Ryan at Avid got me a 100 pack of 2546’s not too long ago.
SF
What’s the best way to get ahold of bulk hook orders? Have a buddy at a fly shop?

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What’s the best way to get ahold of bulk hook orders? Have a buddy at a fly shop?
Almost any fly shop will let you do special orders. Ask to see distro catalogs and look for hooks that are available in bulk packs. Hareline has a great selection of 100 packs, Wapsi even has some bigger quantity options for hooks/beads/cones/etc.

Reactions: NRC

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

It was pretty simple.
I just asked them to order me a 100 pack
of the model and size I wanted.
SF

Reactions: NRC

Shad

Life of the Party
Salty hooks tend to be pricey, and they also tend to get beat up, especially when we fish beaches. Go ahead and drop the coin, and also invest in a hook file, for rehabilitation of dulled points.

Something else to consider is the corrosion resistance of the materials you're using in your saltwater flies. Seems like some materials weather it well, but others (like a lot of metallic beads, e.g.) do not, and if you use corrosion-prone materials on any hook shank, they will eventually rust through. At best, this discolors your feathers; at worst (and typically), it causes your hook shank to rot through and break while fishing. Strangely, it's not always easy to know what materials will do until you try them....

Finally, using stinger setups allows you to use cheaper (freshwater) hooks, because you can just change them out at the end of the day (but note that they WILL rust if you forget to do so).

The Gamakatsu and Owner styles mentioned here are some of my favorites, for what that's worth....