SRC on Whidbey Island?

Theron

Keeper of the bees
I live on the island and have mostly fished for Salmon on the beaches here. Most of my fly fishing on the island has been on the lakes for rainbows and browns. I usually went to the OP when I wanted to fish for SRC but the ferry is not all that reliable. Has any one been successful and fishing for SRC around Whidbey Island? I don't need to know the beach just some info like East side beach, West, North, South.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
In my experience it isn't "lights out".

That said:

1. A bay very near "9/10ths of the law" can have decent SRC, but access can be a pain.

2. There can also be good action at a beach with a lot of sunlight. Access isn't the greatest.

Theron

Keeper of the bees
In my experience it isn't "lights out".

That said:

1. A bay very near "9/10ths of the law" can have decent SRC, but access can be a pain.

2. There can also be good action at a beach with a lot of sunlight. Access isn't the greatest.
I'v had good luck for salmon at that "9/10ths of the law" beach. Never tried it for SRC. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Reactions: NRC

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I'v had good luck for salmon at that "9/10ths of the law" beach. Never tried it for SRC. Thanks, I'll give it a try.
I’ve caught a nice SRC there. Occasionally SRC and rezzies school up there during the chum fry season.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
There will be some available, but it wouldn’t be my first choice for searuns. It is better earlier in the year in my opinion since a good number of the src up that way are early entry fish.
SF

DriftingHopper

Freshly Spawned
If you're looking for someone to join you I've always wanted to explore Whidbey Island. Full disclosure, I have never fished there and may return to the better beaches in the future.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
North Sound cutthroat have already entered spawning rivers and streams. Give it a try next May.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
North Sound cutthroat have already entered spawning rivers and streams. Give it a try next May.
I know a couple north sound beaches where I have caught or seen cutthroat through early December, with 4 fish days in November. This was throwing spoons and spinners before I fly fished though, and in my mind, a 4 fish day is hot fishing. anglers with more experience than me have told me on good beaches in some places that is pretty slow.

The beaches I am thinking about are either close to major river systems or small streams, unlike Whidbey though, which may be why I have this perception

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Most, not all. Found some willing players yesterday east side of MA 9.

Some of the sea runs up here spawn in small creeks and so run up and come back out quickly--or at least that's my hypothesis. Though these two didn't seem like spawners.

IMG_1860.jpegIMG_1859.jpeg

Last edited:

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have caught several sea runs in November that are so bright chrome you think they are salmon till you see them up close, fat ones too so I doubt they are spawners

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I have caught several sea runs in November that are so bright chrome you think they are salmon till you see them up close, fat ones too so I doubt they are spawners

They might be creek spawners just not showing a lot of color and since you caught them in November, they are likely 4-5 months away from spawning. The cool thing is they don’t all look the same or do the same thing.
There are always some cutts in the north sound, but not near the numbers you’ll find down south at this time of the year.
SF