SRC Freshwater Rule Update

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Reposting this from an email received this morning from Captain Keith.

In January the Washington State Fish and Wildlife Commission approved a recommendation from the Department of Fish and Wildlife to change the fishing regulations on seventeen freshwater streams that enter Puget Sound from the current regulation, of retaining Cutthroat and Wild Rainbow trout, min size 14” To a, Release all Cutthroat and Wild Rainbow Trout regulation. This recommendation was based on data gathered by WDFW staff biologists who carried out a number of research projects over the past few years specifically on Coastal Cutthroat Trout. Many of these research projects were funded by the Coastal Cutthroat Coalition with funds generously donated by their numerous supporters.
This is a wonderful example of how specifically designed scientific research projects, fully funded and carried out, can produce data that can affect management decisions regarding conservation concerns of a particular species. These new regulations will go into effect July 1st, 2022.

That’s good news, or at least a good start. Any idea what the 17 streams will be? Eventually I would like to see Regs that, instead of specifying which steams are C&R, say ALL streams flowing into the Puget Sound are C&R, EXCEPT the following…

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Its frustrating to me that this only applies to south sound creeks and no major river systems. It's my understanding that south sound SRC are doing quite well, while our north sound/straits populations are decidedly not. So while I support the closure of retention as it currently sits, it's frustrating that its scope is so narrow.

I understand the growing popularity of SRC and the huge population of people down there, but I'm wondering why they stopped short of the S rivers and further north. I'd rather those conservation measures be in place before Skagit county is completely paved over.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Its frustrating to me that this only applies to south sound creeks and no major river systems. It's my understanding that south sound SRC are doing quite well, while our north sound/straits populations are decidedly not. So while I support the closure of retention as it currently sits, it's frustrating that its scope is so narrow.

I understand the growing popularity of SRC and the huge population of people down there, but I'm wondering why they stopped short of the S rivers and further north. I'd rather those conservation measures be in place before Skagit county is completely paved over.
I believe these rule changes were pretty specifically related to research that the Coastal Cutthroat Coalition has been doing the last few years which has been heavily focused on the south sound. Hoping this is just a start and that they are able to expand their research further north which will bring about rule changes for more rivers.

Reactions: Zak