Springers on the fly

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
It is till it hits you in the back of the head. Ask me how I know this.
Had to sit down for 20 minutes.

A similar thing happened to me as I started to come around to gear fishing more and accepting the limitations of fly fishing. On a cold winter morning chucking and ducking I stuck a very heavy fly in the center of the back of my neck. It was a uniquely severe pain. The cold made it worse. I also sat down for some time. It was like I needed a hot shower to calm my nerves.

The experience led to a reevaluation of fly fishing and why I did it and it contributed to me realizing I should be more of a dirty ass gear angler and less an elitist fly snob. Life is short, just have fun. If you want to catch a springer, don’t be hard on yourself if you grab the herring.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
A similar thing happened to me as I started to come around to gear fishing more and accepting the limitations of fly fishing. On a cold winter morning chucking and ducking I stuck a very heavy fly in the center of the back of my neck. It was a uniquely severe pain. The cold made it worse. I also sat down for some time. It was like I needed a hot shower to calm my nerves.

The experience led to a reevaluation of fly fishing and why I did it and it contributed to me realizing I should be more of a dirty ass gear angler and less an elitist fly snob. Life is short, just have fun. If you want to catch a springer, don’t be hard on yourself if you grab the herring.
Having caught a half ounce twitching jig in the forehead from a chum that spit at the shoreline and seeing multiple instances of treble hook impalements, I'll stick to the feathers and fur (and not catching Springers)

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Having caught a half ounce twitching jig in the forehead from a chum that spit at the shoreline and seeing multiple instances of treble hook impalements, I'll stick to the feathers and fur (and not catching Springers)

Ouch! Sounds like a Whatcom Creek story.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

False dichotomy.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Pretty sure this fish was flossed, but he weighed in at 24lbs. I saw a beautiful bright native get released that looked even larger. Every other fish I saw in there was mid teens, with one exception that was small but a chrome bullet. This was a combat hole but great motivation to find some other less pressured spots on this river.

Attachments

• B9D50542-5E2A-4FC6-9C79-EA8DB4DB54AC.jpeg
    B9D50542-5E2A-4FC6-9C79-EA8DB4DB54AC.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 43