Spring time in the Northern Rockies

Yesterday it blowing 75 mph in the valley, today it was absolutely spectacular. Me and the boat dog got out for a float and enjoyed the great weather.

DSC_8948.jpg

Listening to the Masters while floating down a river in SW Montana...man it doesn't get much better.

FullSizeRender(42).jpg

Nymph bite kept our attention. He's a pretty mellow boat dog but does get interested whenever you hook a fish. Like, every single time.

And not sure patterns really mattered as I found success on wire worms, march brown nymphs, and egg patterns.

IMG_2910.HEIC

Don't recall ever seeing these on this stretch. So that was kind of cool.

DSC_8953(1).jpg

And managed to find my first decent fish of the year on the streamer. Been messing around with some different colors...this one fell for burnt orange.

FullSizeRender(41).jpg

Weather is about to turn again so I'm going to settle in on the bench for a couple days and watch one of the great sporting events of all time.

But today was great. Love spring time here and more to come.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Yesterday it blowing 75 mph in the valley, today it was absolutely spectacular. Me and the boat dog got out for a float and enjoyed the great weather.

DSC_8948.jpg

Listening to the Masters while floating down a river in SW Montana...man it doesn't get much better.

FullSizeRender(42).jpg

Nymph bite kept our attention. He's a pretty mellow boat dog but does get interested whenever you hook a fish. Like, every single time.

And not sure patterns really mattered as I found success on wire worms, march brown nymphs, and egg patterns.

IMG_2910.HEIC

Don't recall ever seeing these on this stretch. So that was kind of cool.

DSC_8953(1).jpg

And managed to find my first decent fish of the year on the streamer. Been messing around with some different colors...this one fell for burnt orange.

FullSizeRender(41).jpg

Weather is about to turn again so I'm going to settle in on the bench for a couple days and watch one of the great sporting events of all time.

But today was great. Love spring time here and more to come.
The greatest sporting event did not disappoint today!

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Back at today after a little break. Got out for a solo float which I dig every once and a while. I can take my time, take some photos, and just putz around.

DSC_0260.jpg

Wanted to try out some of my new streamers, see how they swim, and see if they'd stick a 2' brown. Checked off the first two but still looking for the 2'er.

DSC_0255.jpg

Actually didn't land a single fish on the streamer. But got into a nice baetis hatch and wrecked a bunch of dinks on blue wings.

DSC_0263.jpg

I also can't quit looking in the trees and noticed another heron rookery. Thanks to the member who named this for me.

DSC_0259.jpg

We've got more snow coming in tomorrow so gonna take a day or two off. But planning on getting the camper out Sunday and posting up on the river for a few days.

chrome/22

Low profile operator
Forum Supporter
That's a gorgeous brown you caught

c/22

swimmy

Forecast today was calling for low 50's, overcast, and light winds. So we thought it would be a perfect day to get out for some streamer fishing.

Well we moved a bunch of fish on the streamer but never could stick one...something like 0 for 12. Dang.

However, as a consolation, we got into one of the best March Brown hatches I've ever seen. While hard to time this is one of the more underrated hatches in Montana.

DSC_0355.jpg

March browns, blue wings, and midges. Which one would you eat?

DSC_0357.jpg

And the fish were on 'em. No hawgs but we ran up a body count and I can check off catching a fish on a March Brown for the year.

FullSizeRender(10).jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

More snow coming this week. Awesome.

DSC_0367(1).jpg

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
I got lucky 2 weeks ago and participated in a March Brown hatch the likes of which I doubt I will ever see gain...back to back days lasting for hours on end. The first day it was a mix of Skwala and March Brown's but the second day it was all March Brown's all day!

Making it even better, I had a guy fishing with me who had never caught more than 5-6 fish on a dry fly in a day. He's an older guy who is new to fishing and he caught an obscene number of fish that last day. He dang near missed his flight home because he didn't want to leave. Watching and listening to a 65 year old man act like he was 12 was the best part of the 2 days!

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
The weather was somewhat nice here in Butte today. Sunshine and 65 today. Did I get out. No, but I did finally got my license. I'm still down from breaking my leg. Being an oldman has something to do with that. I don't bounce back like I used to.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
The weather was somewhat nice here in Butte today. Sunshine and 65 today. Did I get out. No, but I did finally got my license. I'm still down from breaking my leg. Being an oldman has something to do with that. I don't bounce back like I used to.

Sorry to hear about your leg, Jim. The first step though to getting out fishing is buying a license so your definitely headed in the right direction.

swimmy

Dang, sorry to hear about your leg.

But yeah, super nice out there today.

MELinOre

Steelhead
Ben Hogan ??
Colonel Hogan (Bob Crane) ;)

I really wanted to post a link to the lead song from the movie "The Producers", but most here would have taken it seriously.

Last edited: