Spring Snow Flurries & Fiesty Trout

Just got back from a week-long trip to New Mexico at Bandelier National Monument and had the Saturday to myself bc my partner was out of town, so I got to fish the whole day away. New Mexico was sunny, dry, and hot and on the drive back from Sante Fe the weather transitioned from dust bowl windstorm in Alamosa to snow in Gunnison county. I was concerned about how this would affect fishing because it had been 70 all week and then the cold snap happened. The weather would be hovering around 40 with snow flurries in the forecast. Still going fishing.

I planned to drive up a creek, over a pass, stop at some lakes (hoping they would be ice free), then fish my way down a river and back home.

Started off driving with a blanket of snow over in the sagebrush sea.
IMG_2270-exif-remove.jpeg

The creek fishing started slow at first and I couldn't get any love on a streamer. The water had a little color but clear enough visibility that I wasn't too worried. I had never fished this creek before so it was a new experience. I switched to nymphing and picked up a couple small but fiesty fish in deeper pools. The downside of fishing in Colorado is the private property laws and the lack of a highwater mark rule. So on a lot of creeks in the area you have to find the patchwork of public lands. I continued upstream and found some more willing brown trout and even picked up a 14-15 inch fish that seemed like a trophy in the small environment. I probably should've done a little more research because I hit a gate and I had to re-route my plan (I'm pretty sure the lakes were frozen over still @11,000ft). So I drove back the way I came and headed over to the next river. (If I have time before the seasonal closure ends I want to head back with a bike and bike in as far as I can)
IMG_2273-exif-remove.jpeg
E93E5C48-0343-4B46-822B-2A884F5189E1_1_105_c-exif-remove.jpeg
2446D3D6-BA2B-42AC-A730-C5115749BC7B_1_105_c-exif-remove.jpeg

I drove to the Upper section of the river, above a lake, and walked down to a canyon section. It started snowing on me as soon as I left my car. First cast with a nymph rig I picked up this rainbow with a paddle of a tail. As I walked upstream I found another hole and picked up several fiesty takers. Mostly browns in this section. The snow stopped and the sun came out which added to the beauty of spring fishing.
C50BD69D-D609-4C27-85C9-986410BE249C_1_105_c-exif-remove.jpeg
IMG_2283-exif-remove.jpeg
IMG_2286-exif-remove.jpeg
IMG_2288-exif-remove.jpeg

I picked up and drove downstream and hopped out at various turnouts. At each turnout I found fish, although on the lower section it was all rainbows. I hit one more snow flurry and the sun retreated behind the mountains so I headed home. I was still picking up fish as the sun went down. It was a solid day of exploring and hitting new water mixed with more familiar waters. I used my 9'6 5wt Scott Centric most of the day which I consider to be the best nymphing rod I've ever had.

IMG_2291-exif-remove.jpeg
IMG_2294-exif-remove.jpeg

Spring fishing in the mountains!

Skol_Engh

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice write up and thanks for sharing. Good pics too!

How are you liking the Ford Bronco Sport?
I like the bronco sport a lot. My last car was a 2011 escape and I think ford kinda screwed that car up with the newer designs (it almost looks like a Porsche suv now for some reason) so I’m glad they went back to the boxier look with the BS. It’s a great fishing vehicle and has enough giddy up. Looks good with a rod vault too!