Spokane River Streamflow Week of Jan. 29, 2024?

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hi All,

I am traveling to Spokane/Spokane Valley tomorrow (1/30/24) for a few days for work. Last summer on a similar trip I brought my fly rod and had a great evening fishing the Spokane River. I am trying to decide whether to bring my fly rod on this trip. Can anyone local tell me whether streamflows are low enough that bank fishing is possible and fun? If the river is super high, I'll save the room in my single carryon.

I'll be kind of near Sullivan Road.

Thanks!

Millsfly

Steelhead
we took a big bump in the flow, but I am thinking it could be ok but not sure of turbidity due to the rain and snow melt. Call the Silver Bow for more accurate intel, 509-924-9998

Reactions: Zak

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter

The Spokane River below Hangman Creek is likely to be quite turbid due to sediment from the Palouse....as it was yesterday. But you're far above that tributary at Sullivan Rd.

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter

The Spokane River below Hangman Creek is likely to be quite turbid due to sediment from the Palouse....as it was yesterday. But you're far above that tributary at Sullivan Rd.
Thank you!

krusty

Forum Supporter
Nobody knows the Spokane like the guys at Silver Bow...top notch flyshop and guide service.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think it's doable. You'll be able to access the river fine. Just watch out for any stray snow or ice, I have some still a little ways out of town. But its warm now.
I told the wife today I wanted to break my drought this weekend.
Guage map seems to be in line with late June flows.

There are some decent looking runs below and the Sullivan bridge. That I've never fished but need to.
May be a few homeless, but not a crazy amount. Parking lot and river access is to left of stop light just north of the river. (If you're staying at the max, it's like a 1 minute drive)

I generally fish a little lower, a ways past down town, but that's a drive for you.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I think it's doable. You'll be able to access the river fine. Just watch out for any stray snow or ice, I have some still a little ways out of town. But its warm now.
I told the wife today I wanted to break my drought this weekend.
Guage map seems to be in line with late June flows.

There are some decent looking runs below and the Sullivan bridge. That I've never fished but need to.
May be a few homeless, but not a crazy amount. Parking lot and river access is to left of stop light just north of the river. (If you're staying at the max, it's like a 1 minute drive)

I generally fish a little lower, a ways past down town, but that's a drive for you.
Thanks!

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I got 40 minutes of fishing in today before it got too dark to see. No bites. River is high but pretty clear.
This is my typical fishing report on the spokane. Skunk central. There are some decent fish in there, but slow going for me usually.
Nymphs aren't my strong suite. Nor are "larger" rivers. Next state over (Oregon obviously lol) I seem to do alot better.
Really hoping to get out there for a couple hours this weekend to get myself some no bite action also lol.

krusty

Forum Supporter
This is my typical fishing report on the spokane. Skunk central. There are some decent fish in there, but slow going for me usually.
Nymphs aren't my strong suite. Nor are "larger" rivers. Next state over (Oregon obviously lol) I seem to do alot better.
Really hoping to get out there for a couple hours this weekend to get myself some no bite action also lol.
There is a low fish population per Spokane River mile. Residual soluble heavy metal legacy from the massive Silver Valley Superfund site (via CDA Lake) severely inhibits lower trophic level biological productivity.

Lots of poaching from the large number of transients jungled up on its thick brushy banks in warmer weather.

There are some large fish, but the difficulty associated with fishing the Spokane is probably the major factor sustaining the fishery. It's very tough to wade...best fished from a raft.

The large quantities of Palouse sediment below Hangman Creek doesn't help the spawning environment in the lower stretch either.

Last edited: