Splice tape?

Stimson

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Has anyone tried this to tape up the splices on your bamboo rod? Got it at home depot. Clear, non adhesive, very stretchy, sticks only to itself. Leaves no adhesive residue on the rod. I tried it on one of my rods and it worked very well. Haven't quite figured out the trick for easy removal. Kinda hard to find the end of the tape to unpeeled it. I stuck a wooden toothpick under it and started tearing it off. It tears easily, leaving zero residue on the rod. Let me know what you all think.

Attachments

• 20240413_150653.jpg
    20240413_150653.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 4

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I haven’t used that tape but use hockey stick tape and it works great and only leaves some residue if it’s hot and I keep the rod together for a long period of time. I was given this tip from a friend and wouldn’t try anything else. And if I can add don’t try using alcohol to remove residue as it can damage the finish on tru oil finishes.

BigSplashTom

Steelhead
Interesting idea. I like that it does not leave any residue. Does it provide good compression?
Have not done a splice yet but have fixed a delamination and a couple breaks at ferrules.
Bambooflyguy suggested using tie-wraps which worked well on the delam and thought I would use the same process on a splice.