Spinning Reels

Even us fly guys own a spinning reel for certain circumstances. Does anybody know why a fine new Penn reel is difficult, reel tightens, when the drag is increased. Most I've had just will spin easy but twist line. This one reel is harder to turn the more the graph is increased. Design or bad.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have never owned a Penn spin reel.
What I would say is something is f--ked up with that reel and you should take it back for a refund. Or maybe it is repairable.

Divad

Whitefish
Even us fly guys own a spinning reel for certain circumstances. Does anybody know why a fine new Penn reel is difficult, reel tightens, when the drag is increased. Most I've had just will spin easy but twist line. This one reel is harder to turn the more the graph is increased. Design or bad.

If I’m reading this correct it’s stiffening as the drag increases? If so sounds like a bearing problem, if it’s new Penn has been good to me for warranty service in the past.

I own two Penn’s and never had the issue. Is it new old stock possibly? Assuming you have not added grease or anything.

Yes, the handle tightens and hard to crank the more the drag is increased. Crank eade is almost in unison with drag setting...lighter drag, easy cranking...as I tested tying the line to my tree. I don't hear or feel any clunkiness. Have to set drag high due to kings on line..only 12lb line. Bought before Christmas, reel been used for a month, but dang Cabela's won't take back
ANYTHING after 60 days. Penn Battlelll 3000.

Yes, the handle tightens and hard to crank the more the drag is increased. Crank eade is almost in unison with drag setting...lighter drag, easy cranking...as I tested tying the line to my tree. I don't hear or feel any clunkiness. Have to set drag high due to kings on line..only 12lb line. Bought before Christmas, reel been used for a month, but dang Cabela's won't take back
I will call Penn, but not sure on answer unless this how they work...unison crank with drag setting. If so, I will chuck it and order my good old cheap okuma from Amazon...but rarely last a season. Thanks for any advice, not much of a bearing gear fixer.

If I’m reading this correct it’s stiffening as the drag increases? If so sounds like a bearing problem, if it’s new Penn has been good to me for warranty service in the past.

I own two Penn’s and never had the issue. Is it new old stock possibly? Assuming you have not added grease or anything.
Thanks Divad. I added a response to clarify

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
These guys ave always come through for me.

fatbillybob

Steelhead
Model? That's why I bought one!

fierce 3 and battle 3. one strange thing today was submerged reel in saltwater at the beach while fishing. The reel had no felt grit but was difficult to reel in smoothly. Then after about 5 mins of using it the reel returned to normal. I went home later and submerged in fresh water openned and lubed up the reel and it seems to be ok.

I have never had an issue with binding on retrieve if the drag is increased. Drag works very well. Fish hate it!

fatbillybob

Steelhead

Do what old school flyfishers do palm the spool. You can put a hand on the spool and up the drag.

Mingo

Life of the Party
My small Penn is a fine reel for light use, but I use Shimano Twin Power and Stellas for serious light tackle work. Expensive, but pretty dang bulletproof. Especially given the abuse they are put through on ocean fish from 5 to 50 pounds here.

I'll check pb out. Penn still not returned call. No warranty claim link I can find. No big deal, just disappointed in new reels that should work more than month...stuck on my old cheap one and landed a few big fish...alternated with fly rod. And good old Amazon delivered a spare okuma in less than a day...4-8am. Gripe is my son has the same new Penn in box.

Attachments

• IMG_20230811_191954048_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230811_191954048_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Update. These Outdoor World repair are the real deal. Answered the phone and said send in with receipt and they will take care with Penn year warranty. Will see, but they sound legit and I finally got a 50 in line 2 day later call back at 7am from Penn rep. Glad it went vm. Great tip for any reel brand. Thanks Mike!

Tuna Ball

Steelhead
I stopped buying Penn Battles after three of them failed in two seasons or less of tuna fishing. They were meticulously rinsed after every trip. Most failures were corrosion related and affected the drive gears and/or drag stack.

I have switched to Shimano Spheros for my budget spinning reel. The Saragossa has been reliable and the performance and power is no comparison to the Battle. The Spheros has performed well on my first two trips with it, except it failed to catch fish. I need to put a different jig on it next time. 😉

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
I recently picked up a Penn Fierce III. Haven't been able to use it yet. Hopefully it's not a pos.