NFR Spider ID?

Non-fishing related

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Years ago i was stalking a heard of Mulies in eastern Klickitat county to no avail, as always, I sat in this spot for about 15 minutes just watching them and when I got up this was under me.. I am sure one of you guys can tell me what it is.

Attachments

• klickitat spider.jpg
    klickitat spider.jpg
    630.3 KB · Views: 104

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
As somebody who sleeps on a cot riverside there quite often I'd rather not know what creepy crawlies are around me. That said they can't be worse than the dog damn squiters....

squiters.jpg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Years ago i was stalking a heard of Mulies in eastern Klickitat county to no avail, as always, I sat in this spot for about 15 minutes just watching them and when I got up this was under me.. I am sure one of you guys can tell me what it is.
Folding door spider?

Folding-door-spider-1024x768.jpg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
try waking up your first morning in Australia and findiing 6" Huntsman on the wall about a foot from your head. Or as my host said "that's quite a yell you've got, mate."
huntsman1.jpg

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
As somebody who sleeps on a cot riverside there quite often I'd rather not know what creepy crawlies are around me. That said they can't be worse than the dog damn squiters....

View attachment 60731
one time I was camped on the Ronde in October and as I was walking back to camp i came across a black widow just marching across the campground... Long ways from my tent but when i got back to camp I emptied my tent, shook out my sleeping bag and all my clothes then zipped everything up tight!

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
thanks for that link after a little scrolling I found this comforting statement

"Figure 9. Family Theridiidae. The female western black widow spider is the only native species of spider known to be poisonous to humans in Washington. Body length is 3/8 to 1/2 inch; leg span over one inch. Note the haphazard arrangement of the web strands. Photo by M. Bush, WSU Extension."

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Reminded me of a time on the bank of a river, I had sat down and opened my fly box to make a selection I sat the box down on the ground as I tied my knot. I looked down to pick up the open box but there was a big spider sitting on the edge. As I watched he jumped on a caddis dry and realizing it wasn't the real deal ran across the box and out. I said wow and thank you as usually the best judge of your tie is a trout but this guy was fooled as well. I haven't a clue as to what kind of spider yours was but mine was a great admirer of my fly tying prowess.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Last month I was down in Costa Rica on a surfing trip. One evening while sipping a drink out by the pool, I looked down and this fvcker was about 6" from my foot.

View attachment 60747
no lack of in CR...was finishing up a hang at Playa Negra back in the late 80's, grabbed my travel bag to stick my boards in, got nailed by a scorpion when I slid the boards inside. Like getting shot by a nail gun..
a._scorpian_-_c._bicolor_-_02.10.2010_-_15.03.59.jpg

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
no lack of in CR...was finishing up a hang at Playa Negra back in the late 80's, grabbed my travel bag to stick my boards in, got nailed by a scorpion when I slid the boards inside. Like getting shot by a nail gun..
a._scorpian_-_c._bicolor_-_02.10.2010_-_15.03.59.jpg
Central America has lots of scorpions. For some reason I seem to run into them a lot in Panama. They are big and pretty creepy. One year one of my friends stepped on a scorpion when we were drinking a few beers after a long day of surf (in Bocas del Toro province - @SurfnFish i’m guessing you know that area). It was not good - he ended up heading home early for medical treatment.

When we lived in Hawaii, i used to have to deal with both scorpions (little, almost translucent little buggers) and gnarly centipedes. Blech. Nope. No thanks. Spiders, insects, and creepy crawlies generally don’t bother me too much….but nor do i want to hang out with them if i can help it. That goes extra for mosquitoes.

I used to see really big (BIG) spiders called joro spiders back when I lived in Japan (Southern Japan, on the Pacific) I’m pretty sure they aren’t poisonous but they were pretty imposing. I swear some were in the ~6 inch range and looked like they are about an ounce or so. Yellow and black in coloration. In Japan they are sometimes seen as good luck. Go figure! Lot of the insects you see in the tropics are big versions of something or another. The cockroaches (gokiburi) in southern Japan were a) ginormous and b) could fly.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I used to see really big (BIG) spiders called joro spiders back when I lived in Japan (Southern Japan, on the Pacific) I’m pretty sure they aren’t poisonous but they were pretty imposing. I swear some were in the ~6 inch range and looked like they are about an ounce or so. Yellow and black in coloration. In Japan they are sometimes seen as good luck. Go figure! Lot of the insects you see in the tropics are big versions of something or another. The cockroaches (gokiburi) in southern Japan were a) ginormous and b) could fly.
Where did you live? I was in Nagasaki for 3 years on the JET program plus a little more on my own. An amazing and formative experience. Saw many of those big spiders, especially my first year living out on an island in the Kamigoto archipelago.

Yes on the gokiburi. I screamed like SurfnFish above the first time one of those came at me.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
@Thomas Mitchell I lived in Miyazaki - worked for a Japanese company. Agree with you on the amazing experience! Not meaning to hijack the thread but have you spent any time nerding out on the web checking out akiya these past few years? I keep hoping that a place comes up in a little mountain town I know of on Kyushu that has a beautiful trout stream running through

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You shot yourself with a nail gun? Why?

There is a certain shop in Oroville, that I use as a sleeping area. I shared it with a black widow. I left her alone, she left me alone. She really liked hornets.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
@Thomas Mitchell I lived in Miyazaki - worked for a Japanese company. Agree with you on the amazing experience! Not meaning to hijack the thread but have you spent any time nerding out on the web checking out akiya these past few years? I keep hoping that a place comes up in a little mountain town I know of on Kyushu that has a beautiful trout stream running through
Yes, I've read about it. It was even getting to be a problem out on the island I lived on my first year way back when due to youth flight, picture Forks a 2hr ferry ride off the coast... I was maniacally focused on climbing while I was there so made many trips down to Miyazaki to climb routes on Mt Hieizan. Good times.

My kids are half Japanese and I'm still very friendly with my ex-inlaw family but I don't get back over there enough. Planning a trip for next year that will hopefully include a little fishing (inshore).

Apologies for the further thread drift but here's a photo of a Jorogumo (kumo = spider) from wikipedia to get us back on track. My ex was clinically arachnophobic and would start hyperventilating whenever running into one of these things which is about every 90 seconds when hiking in lower elevation Kyushu...
1920px-Joro_Spider_-_Trichonephila_clavata_(50564813031).jpg

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Yes, I've read about it. It was even getting to be a problem out on the island I lived on my first year way back when due to youth flight, picture Forks a 2hr ferry ride off the coast... I was maniacally focused on climbing while I was there so made many trips down to Miyazaki to climb routes on Mt Hieizan. Good times.

My kids are half Japanese and I'm still very friendly with my ex-inlaw family but I don't get back over there enough. Planning a trip for next year that will hopefully include a little fishing (inshore).

Apologies for the further thread drift but here's a photo of a Jorogumo (kumo = spider) from wikipedia to get us back on track. My ex was clinically arachnophobic and would start hyperventilating whenever running into one of these things which is about every 90 seconds when hiking in lower elevation Kyushu...
View attachment 60824

I remember those things around Iwukuni MCAS, as well as the hordes of bats that swept out of the surrounding hills every night.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Lived in Nagasaki from 54' to 58' (4 to 7). Mama-san took me and sister to the open air market one day, I wandered off and ended up spending a couple of nights with a local family until reunited with a frantic Mom (single mom working for the US embassy service).
Son has surfed through CR, Panama and Nicaragua, really likes Nica.
My fave in CR are the right hand points in Matapalo across the bay from Pavones. Endless wildlife and insects, they have a chunky spider that literally attacks small birds.
Got nailed by a Brown Recluse at our home in Half Moon Bay where we raised the family. Found it in the morning crushed under my ass which had a rapidly swelling bite area, ended up on antibiotics for a necrotic hole the size of a quarter.
I see a spider in our house, it's on..
4_4.jpg