Source for 1mm and .5mm foam?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Does anyone have a source for cheap 1mm and .5mm foam?
I usually get all my foam from the craft store for dirt cheap, but they stop at 2mm.

After buying such cheap foam the fly shop razor foam feels so expensive comparitively.
Yes, I understand its not THAT expensive, but I also cant get it locally so I'm also factoring in shipping.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
48PCS EVA Foam Sheets 1mm Thick 11.8 x 7.8 Inches Craft Foam Paper 12 Colors for Craft Projects Kids DIY Handcraft Classroom Parties and More https://a.co/d/64SJmzA

GREATFISHING 10 Best Color Set 1mm 2mm 3mm Fly Tying Foam Sheet Chartreuse Green Orange Floating Dry Fly Grass Hopper Popper Fly Tying Materials https://a.co/d/5tD1aei

Probably not going to get all the exact colors you want, but nothing a little sharpie can't help with.

Unfortunately 0.5mm foam is more difficult to find in multi-color packs like this. I couldn't find anything on amazon.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
48PCS EVA Foam Sheets 1mm Thick 11.8 x 7.8 Inches Craft Foam Paper 12 Colors for Craft Projects Kids DIY Handcraft Classroom Parties and More https://a.co/d/64SJmzA

GREATFISHING 10 Best Color Set 1mm 2mm 3mm Fly Tying Foam Sheet Chartreuse Green Orange Floating Dry Fly Grass Hopper Popper Fly Tying Materials https://a.co/d/5tD1aei

Probably not going to get all the exact colors you want, but nothing a little sharpie can't help with.

Unfortunately 0.5mm foam is more difficult to find in multi-color packs like this. I couldn't find anything on amazon.

Thanks James.

JFC, 96 sheets for $15?

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Topkayaker.net and foam.com

kmudgn

Steelhead
I buy large sheets of foam at Michaels which is a craft/hobby store across the country. They also have on-line sales, but I have never gone that route. 8x10 (or so) sheets of foam in a large variety of colors are about 99 cents each. My local store has both thick and thin foam, but if I really need and odd color, or maybe 1mm foam I just get a small pack on line, or at local fly shop. I have yet to find a tie that goes bad if I use 2mm vs 1mm foam though

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I buy large sheets of foam at Michaels which is a craft/hobby store across the country. They also have on-line sales, but I have never gone that route. 8x10 (or so) sheets of foam in a large variety of colors are about 99 cents each. My local store has both thick and thin foam, but if I really need and odd color, or maybe 1mm foam I just get a small pack on line, or at local fly shop. I have yet to find a tie that goes bad if I use 2mm vs 1mm foam though
Yeah i buy my 2mm foam at Michaels but they dont have 1mm foam.
Looking for the small stuff to specifically tie Hippie Stomper type flies where I want two tone, but dont want it 4mm thick, especially when im tying smaller flies.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I hear you @mcswny. I use a lot of 0.5 and 1mm foam to tie extended body stuff. 2mm is just too thick. And 1mm is too thick on smaller patterns. I have yet to find 0.5mm foam in a variety color pack like I posted above.

The 1mm stuff is awesome though for some of the larger extended body stuff!
DSC_1648 - edit 1.jpg
DSC_1800 - edit 1.jpg
DSC_0026 - edit 1.jpg

But I need 0.5mm for flies like these, and i still can't find it in bulk:-(
DSC_1784 - edit 1.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I hear you @mcswny. I use a lot of 0.5 and 1mm foam to tie extended body stuff. 2mm is just too thick. And 1mm is too thick on smaller patterns. I have yet to find 0.5mm foam in a variety color pack like I posted above.

The 1mm stuff is awesome though for some of the larger extended body stuff!
View attachment 40426
View attachment 40424
View attachment 40423

But I need 0.5mm for flies like these, and i still can't find it in bulk:-(
View attachment 40425

That first stimmy is somethin' special!!

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
Yeah i buy my 2mm foam at Michaels but they dont have 1mm foam.
Looking for the small stuff to specifically tie Hippie Stomper type flies where I want two tone, but dont want it 4mm thick, especially when im tying smaller flies.
I know Joann's has 1mm foam.

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
I'm not finding 1mm foam at either JoAnn's online or my local store, multiple colors in 2mm available though. If you do find it, please share your source. Thanks
I found it at my local JoAan's. That is interesting.

Reactions: GLC

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Nobody knows I have a key to the unit under construction near me... So I snuck in there and got myself a lifetime supply of this stuff.
20221110_110627.jpg
I don't know why it says 1/4" thick, it's more like 1mm. Translucent pink foam. It's not closed cell but it should be very useful in making extended wings etc..