Some where in the Rocky Mountains.

My wife and I have been planning this trip for years. We finally checked it off our bucket list this past summer. We packed up our Sotar, a few rods and some dehydrated meals. It was a brutal ten hours on horseback traveling 30 miles over the mountain pass. We got to the confluence a few hours before dark. I hopped off the horse and waddled over to the pack horses to unload our raft and camping supplies. I was mentally and physically exhausted to the point where I couldn’t muster the energy to wet a line that evening. We quickly set up our tent and called it a night.

I woke up the next morning and immediately assembled my rod and tied on a purple haze. Words can’t describe how excellent the fishing was. Virtually every cast was rewarded with a beautiful Westslope Cutthroat. The fish weren’t particularly big in size but we’re hungry and feisty. Every fish managed to put a nice bend in my 4wt glass rod.

After the morning wade session, we packed up camp and leisurely started floating down the river. It took every ounce of restraint as I wanted to fish every run and hole. The fishing never slowed down that day. It was fish after fish no matter what pattern you tied on.
I got to the point where I was tying on random patterns to see if there was anything they wouldn’t eat..

By the end of day one I was tired of catching cutthroats on the dry. We lost count of the total within a few hours of launching the raft. I was determined to catch a 30” fish and shifted my focus on the elusive Bull Trout which are legal to target in this particular river. I switched over to my Sage X 7wt and proceeded to strip large (4-10”) double/triple articulated streamers through every hole we passed. I managed to catch some rather nice and somewhat larger (16-20”) cutthroats. I eventually tied on a triple articulated white Sex Dungeon and started swinging.

To be continued..

E24FEA4F-CFAD-4956-9D09-40D0FAAFCEDF.jpegEBDD4259-0C82-42E0-B67F-CF88BE8ECF92.jpeg65964C6F-5753-49E7-AE43-5F750B5945FC.jpeg9D10B70E-5889-4EAC-86D6-A6B8DA569011.jpeg9A3C22CB-D489-4EAC-ACED-C709CDCF47AE.jpegCFCD25F7-DC92-4A50-9356-D9165C7EC457.jpeg336E1B47-94F8-4CAE-B77C-50989BBAD31A.jpegD4EE3FD8-80E4-49D0-8B30-CE069CBDDB3A.jpeg594A9729-D147-4DED-9785-F8D9DDDBDBF8.jpeg3693B0F3-5EAE-4B8B-8BA9-88C9E663F901.jpeg

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
That looks familiar! It's a float trip like no other. I want so much to go back and do it again. And then I think about the 9 1/2 hour horseback ride . . .

MT406

Steelhead
That looks familiar! It's a float trip like no other. I want so much to go back and do it again. And then I think about the 9 1/2 hour horseback ride . . .
Truly a magical place. I overheard that they might be implementing a permit based system in the near future.. I can feel the pain in my legs by just looking at some of those photos.

I’ll add more details and photos at some point this week.

kmudgn

Steelhead
Since this appears to have been a guided trip via an outfitter I don't understand why the secrecy surrounding the location. Seems to me the outfitter would like the notariety and potential customers may want to learn of the trip

MT406

Steelhead
Your correct. I was guided, my wife rowed my fat ass down that river for 7 days. We used a packer to get In/out. Trust me, he doesn’t need any publicity. The prime dates are booked out at least a year in advanced.

I’m not going to hot spot this location. If I did, then you’d get people from NH showing up.

Last edited:

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Your correct. I was guided, my wife rowed my fat ass down that river for 7 days. We used a packer to get In/out. Trust me, he doesn’t need any publicity. The prime dates are booked out at least a year in advanced.

I’m not going to hot spot this location. If I did, then you’d get people from NH showing up.
If you were in Washington, I wouldn't tell anybody where you went. But in Montana with all the waters that have fish in them that you can drive to Why keep it a secret. This is just one of these things that not everybody partakes in.

I remember when Trapper talked about the "Bob" he was very open about it.

B

bennysbuddy

If you were in Washington, I wouldn't tell anybody where you went. But in Montana with all the waters that have fish in them that you can drive to Why keep it a secret. This is just one of these things that not everybody partakes in.

you have to be a member of the secret squirrel club, I love these secret places. A few years back at a ultra secret hole on the Sauk river I walked into the Otter nose, needle hole ,or what ever its called now to find swimmy and some others there & Swimmys from Montana. There's only one way to keep a secret amongst fishermen, two people can know the secret but one of them must be dead.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
When I first got to Montana, I would name streams I fished. Everybody told me to be quiet. Hell I talk about my favorite all the time and I still don't see anymore people on it. I ran into some people from Washington on it and they got told about it from some local fly shop. There are no secret places anymore unless it's on the moon. And that isn't secret anymore.

MT406

Steelhead

To each his own. I personally feel that hot spotting a location on a public forum is bad etiquette. I’m sure many people, especially MT residents would agree. This isn’t the Madison or the Yellowstone, and this fishery is already declining due to pressure. One of my favorite places to fish in SW is now filled with out of states plates, due to the amount of people geo tagging on Instagram and Facebook. I’m not going to be the person to add additional pressure to these locations. If someone shot me a DM, I’d probably be more then happy to share some additional information.

Yadwick

Smolt
To each his own. I personally feel that hot spotting a location on a public forum is bad etiquette. I’m sure many people, especially MT residents would agree. This isn’t the Madison or the Yellowstone, and this fishery is already declining due to pressure. One of my favorite places to fish in SW is now filled with out of states plates, due to the amount of people geo tagging on Instagram and Facebook. I’m not going to be the person to add additional pressure to these locations. If someone shot me a DM, I’d probably be more then happy to share some additional information.
Fully support this type of social conservation. Thanks good sir