So, do you think Washington's "angler-friendly?"

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
WA is fairly friendly in terms of stream and lake access. And fishing for trout or other species in lakes is quite good. But when it comes to anadromous fish, WDFW and WA totally won't go to bat for recreational fishing opportunity. In fact, it has become commonplace for WDFW to bite the hand that feeds it, meaning state taxpayers and license buyers. If I didn't already live in WA, I definitely wouldn't move here to fish.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
WA is fairly friendly in terms of stream and lake access. And fishing for trout or other species in lakes is quite good. But when it comes to anadromous fish, WDFW and WA totally won't go to bat for recreational fishing opportunity. In fact, it has become commonplace for WDFW to bite the hand that feeds it, meaning state taxpayers and license buyers. If I didn't already live in WA, I definitely wouldn't move here to fish.

Why wouldn't they bite the hand that feeds them if the feed keeps on coming anyway?

I would concur with the article. Washington is anything but angler friendly. By comparison to Oregon we are far behind. I've lived and fished extensively in both states. Oregon is a better experience. They enforce game laws. Less snagging scum bags because of it. Access seems better. More fish, more opportunity. The Clack I think is open year round basically. Washington would freak out about that and not having that circus opener atmosphere that WDFW loves. You now that "first Saturday" of the month thing.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
From an access point of view I think Washington is relatively angler friendly but that is the only way I'd call them angler friendly.
1. Washington licenses are expensive relative to the quality of angling compared to other states.
2. Regulation are extremely complicated
3. Washington does a very poor job of conserving native fisheries and actively tries to destroy non- native fisheries
4. Enforcement of fishing regulations is almost non-existent
5. Managers ignore their biologists.
6 too beholden to tribes.

These do not make Washington bad only less angler friendly..

East Coaster

Steelhead
What I like about fishing in Washington, if you don't fish next to your car or the road, you won't see another fisherman.
This state has lazy fishermen or they prefer to fish in masses.
Maybe it's not laziness. A few years back, I was talking to some fly anglers at a Puget Sound beach (this was on one of my visits to your area) and asked about access at another spot that looked promising from what I could see on-line. They dissuaded me from fishing there because I'd have to park in a place that was somewhat secluded and walk some distance from the car, which they advised was likely to result in a break-in. I hadn't considered that at all, so I'm wondering if the reason folks out there don't stray too far is more about vehicle security than anything else.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Maybe it's not laziness. A few years back, I was talking to some fly anglers at a Puget Sound beach (this was on one of my visits to your area) and asked about access at another spot that looked promising from what I could see on-line. They dissuaded me from fishing there because I'd have to park in a place that was somewhat secluded and walk some distance from the car, which they advised was likely to result in a break-in. I hadn't considered that at all, so I'm wondering if the reason folks out there don't stray too far is more about vehicle security than anything else.
I’ve had it happen to me while on the river. Coming back to smashed glass and a pilfered rig does take some of the fun out of it.
Having said that, I believe we do have pretty good access to some decent fishing but the innocence and freedom I used to feel from potential crime and break-ins is sadly gone.

Shad

Life of the Party
What I like about fishing in Washington, if you don't fish next to your car or the road, you won't see another fisherman.
This state has lazy fishermen or they prefer to fish in masses.
That's true everywhere. Trouble is, they close all the water those willing to work would fish right along with the rest of it. Too much closed water (that doesn't really need to be closed) is my only real complaint about fishing in WA. The scenery is fantastic, and the fish you find are cool, but none of that is because WDFW does a good job of managing our fisheries....

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I'm an off the beaten track angler. However I have on a couple occasions been broke into while parked at a popular area because my take out was there or was meeting with others to join a float. I think even the tweakers are lazy here. Why get a one off when you can walk over and break into several rigs in short order. Bigger score, still no penalty.

Tallguy

Steelhead
From an access point of view I think Washington is relatively angler friendly but that is the only way I'd call them angler friendly.

I agree with most of the points on your list, but would disagree about access friendly for anglers and outdoors things. WA is the only state I know of that has privatized to the low tide line and has strongly limited beach access everywhere. Every other state I have fished saltwater beaches has WAY friendlier access to saltwater, where you can walk the beaches for miles if you want to. WA also has alot of timberlands that have effectively privatized road access to some rivers and public lands too. I find WA to be strongly boat dependent for many types of fishing.

That's true everywhere. Trouble is, they close all the water those willing to work would fish right along with the rest of it. Too much closed water (that doesn't really need to be closed) is my only real complaint about fishing in WA. The scenery is fantastic, and the fish you find are cool, but none of that is because WDFW does a good job of managing our fisheries....
Agreed.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I agree with most of the points on your list, but would disagree about access friendly for anglers and outdoors things. WA is the only state I know of that has privatized to the low tide line and has strongly limited beach access everywhere. Every other state I have fished saltwater beaches has WAY friendlier access to saltwater, where you can walk the beaches for miles if you want to. WA also has alot of timberlands that have effectively privatized road access to some rivers and public lands too. I find WA to be strongly boat dependent for many types of fishing.

I am pretty ignorant about beach issues. As far as private timber company land. It used to be all open, at least in the areas I lived. Then the population grew and all types of destructive nefarious activities started happening on their lands so up went the gates and signs. Then some decided to start making money by selling recreation permits. So in terms of private timberlands I see both sides of the story there

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I find it interesting that Wyoming has a positive rating.. To me everything about Wyoming says "anglers go away" "don't you dare come close to private property "
I know Wyoming is a great state fishing wise but they are pretty militant about private property.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I got my Subarus broke into on the Pilchuck Creek. They took everything except the kitchen sink. They left my rods alone. But reels and flies, radio, cell phone, and camera were taken. Filed a report with the cops. But never heard anything from them. I called my cell phone and a kid answered. I told the cops that, but nothing happened.

Now that I fish here in Montana(going on 16 years) I have no trouble like that happening. But I don't stray very far from my P/U so that is safe here.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
No Florida?? 800 miles of coastline. Generous water-line wading and access laws. No gill nets. You don't even have to purchase a license to fish.

Seems they didn't really consider much in terms of "angler friendliness".

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

So you're saying that protecting the "early wild winter run" of the chehalis basin by closing sport angling on the tributaries and allowing nets on the mainstem doesn't add up to you? You're not following the science........

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm not sure I agree with what is said about Oregon access.
Yes maybe, I can walk and wade along the North Umpqua river, but there is very little public access below the Green bridge in Glide, OR
If ya have a boat there is a lot of access.
The other thing is in a lot of the public areas ya have to be a bit of a mountain goat to get from the parking spot to the water.
Same can be said for many lakes, where private property lines the shore.
I do understand the problem with letting the public access the water through yer land. Broken fences, gates left open, and litter, OMG the litter.