Smashburgers!!

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a couple of Blackstone griddles-one in the kitchen and one in the Casa. In the two years or so I have owned them I have tried many times to make a decent smashburger but was always disappointed with the results and wanted to do better. I have watched numerous videos on how to do it right and assimilated the information into a process that I thought would incorporate best practices and tried it out today. Bingo! Finally I produced something excellent, perhaps the best burger I have ever eaten! They are fun to make and done right simply humble other burgers but it didn't come easy. Now I'm excited to try it again and see if I can duplicate today's success-hoping it was not just a fluke.

Up your burger game-try smashing it!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have a couple of Blackstone griddles-one in the kitchen and one in the Casa. In the two years or so I have owned them I have tried many times to make a decent smashburger but was always disappointed with the results and wanted to do better. I have watched numerous videos on how to do it right and assimilated the information into a process that I thought would incorporate best practices and tried it out today. Bingo! Finally I produced something excellent, perhaps the best burger I have ever eaten! They are fun to make and done right simply humble other burgers but it didn't come easy. Now I'm excited to try it again and see if I can duplicate today's success-hoping it was not just a fluke.

I’ve never made them, but one of my favorite burgers in town is at a bar nearby and they’re smashburgers. Generally
Speaking, I need to take a nap after eating it.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party

Darn, was hoping for pics....

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I make them. I divide a pound of 85% lean burger meat into eight pieces, make them into balls, put the balls on the cast iron two at a time, and smash them very flat and thin with a sturdy spatula. Then cook them nice and crispy and put two in each bun with all the fixins.

The one problem I run into is that the fat in the meat binds to the bottom of the spatula, so that the burger tears when I lift the spatula.

Last edited:

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I make them. I divide a pound of 85% lean burger meat into eight pieces, make them into balls, put the balls on the cast iron two at a time, and smash them very flat and thin with a sturdy spatula. Then cook them nice and crispy and put two in each bun with all the fixins.

The one problem I run into is that the fat in the meat binds to the bottom of the spatula l, so that the burger tears when I lift the spatula.
Parchment!

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

The one problem I run into is that the fat in the meat binds to the bottom of the spatula l, so that the burger tears when I lift the spatula.
Just I light coat of olive oil on the spatula. A drop on each side spread with a fingertip of your choice.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Try this: Slice some onion as thin as possible and place it on the heated and oiled griddle. Then place the hamburger ball on top and smash it all together. Just wonderful!

Looking at expensive smashers? Avoid the cost of the custom smasher which is basically a uni-tasker good for little else and make your own. Using a piece of 3/4'' plywood I cut a 5 1/4'' circle then glued and screwed another piece on top for a handle. Sanded smooth and soaked in mineral oil it does a fine job of flattening beef. By using parchment paper the meat never comes in contact with the wood and if it does the mineral oil makes the wood washable.