Slumpbuster permit

I got home a week ago from a two week trip with a little bit of fishing, but it wasn't the primary purpose of the trip. I was coming off a bit of a permit slump. After going 8 for 11 on a trip to Mexico in April, I got blanked a few weeks later in Belize.

The first week was spent in Roatan, Honduras. I fished 2 days in fairly brutal conditions with lots of cloud and periods of intense rain. I think I had a total of 3 shots at permit. They were definitely around, but you just couldn't see them. The slump continued...

Fortunately, the weather improved for week 2 out of Punta Gorda, Belize. The first day still had a lot of cloud, but there were plenty of permit pushing and tailing in the lagoon. This one ate aggressively in about a foot and a half of water.

PXL_20221212_181324424.jpg

Right after releasing this fish, another came pushing along the mangroves, stopping to tail frequently. It tracked the fly for about 15 feet, then seemed to get distracted by something else and lost interest.

The second day had better conditions for visibility, but the tides were small and the permit were only active for a short period during the day. I managed to stick a smallish one of probably 5 pounds, but didn't bother with a photo.

Now a 4 month wait before resuming the permit addiction in Mexico again...

Uptonogood

PNW raised
Incredible fish on a fly and this specimen is wonderful. I love your tenacity and focus, labor of love, eh?

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
How is Roatan? I've been to La Ceiba a few times on volunteer trips but never had the time to sneak out to the Bay Islands.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Solid work as usual! You know I was kidding when I said you were "torturing" me by sending me pics of awesome fish like this... well mostly kidding. ;)

Last edited: