Slide Band reel Seats

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any good tricks to keeping a reel firmly attached to an old school reel seat with the slide band, without ruining the aesthetics? This reel seat in particular has the cork spacer. TIA

Never used them myself, so this is just an idea to try....

Proof flyfishing, a rod building site/store, sells foam pads shaped to fit under the reel seat. He calls them "reel-tite" pads. They are in the slide band reel seat section. The idea is that the foam compresses when the slide bands are tightend down, and the back pressure helps keep the reel in place. I'd send a link but not sure it's kosher.

ChuckerFly

Freshly Spawned
I have one on a 2wt I built, honestly have never had an issue with it coming loose. I have had more issues with my threaded real seats coming loose than with my old school slide band.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Three of my bamboo rods have slide band seats (two with cork inserts, one with a wood insert). I’ve never had a problem with the reels coming loose, but I know others who have.

You might try asking over in the bamboo section.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Question: is it because there is play when the rings are snugged up or do the rings not slide far enough in on the reel seat? I have a galvan reel that the rings can’t slide far enough up. Likewise i have a medalist with and old foot that has the same problem. I bought spare reel seats and ground them down on a wheel.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
zip ties work great....they also show that you're the resourceful type.

Skimr

Smolt
Forum Supporter
@Squatchin I went to the hardware store and test fit then bought appropriate size rubber “O” rings. Work perfectly. Just stretch over firstDD81E8E7-C000-4B63-AF38-DEBA699B84A2.jpeg0EFFD3BE-C68B-4387-B1AF-D79EB178F98C.jpeg
then roll into place. Cheap, easy to get and work great.

Last edited: