shrimp patterns

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
A riff on the Larson, Didn't have any artic fox or the shell back so subbed synthetics and a strip of mylar, sharpie and uv flow.

How do you all prefer to strip/ retrieve when fishing a shrimp pattern for cutts?20231108_124204.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
A riff on the Larson, Didn't have any artic fox or the shell back so subbed synthetics and a strip of mylar, sharpie and uv flow.

How do you all prefer to strip/ retrieve when fishing a shrimp pattern for cutts?View attachment 89623

If you have a copy of the book Flyfishing for Pacific Salmon II, look on page 89 which describes the amphipod “hop”.
I believe it is also described in Les Johnson’s Cutthroat book as well.
SF

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
The number one characteristic I look for in a solid shrimp pattern is not turning upside down when retrieved fast or in current.
^ this is the hardest part. Or, at least it was for me with my shrimp pattern. Had to experiment to get foam in the right places.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
^ this is the hardest part. Or, at least it was for me with my shrimp pattern. Had to experiment to get foam in the right places.
It is the hard part. It's also the part the fish look at the most. We all know flies ride with the most bulk seeking the top side. A shrimp is by nature shaped the opposite. But let's really look at shrimp. I mean let's eat these mushrooms and really trip out watching shrimp. Did you see it? When they really wanna move all that stuff folds up and they go for it. Therefore you need a fly that does the same. I like pliable materials that fold out underneath when at rest. When I strip I want them to collapse and allow the fly to ride upright. I don't want a spinning shrimp. They don't do that. At any rate it's something to think about when making shrimp flies. As always less is more and sparse moves most and looks most convincing.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
It is the hard part. It's also the part the fish look at the most. We all know flies ride with the most bulk seeking the top side. A shrimp is by nature shaped the opposite. But let's really look at shrimp. I mean let's eat these mushrooms and really trip out watching shrimp. Did you see it? When they really wanna move all that stuff folds up and they go for it. Therefore you need a fly that does the same. I like pliable materials that fold out underneath when at rest. When I strip I want them to collapse and allow the fly to ride upright. I don't want a spinning shrimp. They don't do that. At any rate it's something to think about when making shrimp flies. As always less is more and sparse moves most and looks most convincing.
One of the few patterns that really benefitted from time in the fly tester—until I gave it to @Nick Clayton