Show us your go to “Happy Place”

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
My true happy spot is offshore, but the Lofoten Islands in Norway are definitely on my bucket list. Grandpa was born in the next village just off your picture to the right. Dad said he never wanted to go back to that "cold black rock". With modern amenities I imagine it's a bit more comfortable now than in the early 1900's. Cold or not .... damn.

View attachment 13379
Hmm, small world. Magical place.

My ancestors fished for Cod there until they left it in the 1890's after too many family members sank their little wooden boats and drowned. You can drive there today, but they had to sail in those little wooden boats 100+ miles across mostly open sea to get to those fishing grounds.

Ten years ago this August my son and I stayed in that second Rorbu (fishermans cabin) from the right in your photo.

1651618549511.png

Last edited:

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hmm, small world. Magical place.
My ancestors fished for Cod there until they left it in the 1890's after too many family members sank their little wooden boats and drowned.

Ten years ago this August my son and I stayed in that second Rorbu (fishermans cabin) from the right.
Very small indeed. Seems there's a decent chance we share some common ancestry. Not sure what year Grandpa left but it may have been in the 1890's since he was 93 when he passed in 1970. The reason he left was exactly that. Great Grandpa Knut went out to fish herring in a wooden "Faering" and never returned.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
My happy place. If I was younger I would go there. But a 100 mile drive isn't ln the cards yet. That one piece of skinny water isn't affected by run off. All the feeder streams are probably almost dry by now The feeder streams sit in a huge valley that is flat. Some springs also feed it. I've researched that area pretty good. Got my intel down pretty well.

Chris Bailey

Dirt Sniffer
Forum Supporter
This is my happy place. My cabin in the woods on the east side of Chinook Pass. At times it is also a thorn in my side, a money pit, the bane of my existence, etc., but it's mine. It's a USFS lot cabin with all the benefits and drawbacks associated with that. My avatar photo is about 100 yards out the front door. The fishing is OK, but like anything it gets better the more time you put in. I learned to fly fish here 40 years ago and now my daughters join me in the water. It actually holds me back a bit with respect to learning new water as I always just end up back at the cabin.

IMG_2473.JPEG IMG_0520.jpeg IMG_0524.JPEG

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
I can literally spend all day here

FullSizeRender(34).jpg

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
Spring in Montana offered this beautiful view across the Yellowstone River from where I spent many summers.

View attachment 13580

This same mountain could sometimes be viewed in the Fall from a different point a few miles upriver.

I was happy to be in that place. What’s not to love?

View attachment 13581
WOW!!! That bottom shot............ Sheesh...