Short Strikes, taps, etc. from Coho

N. Metz

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
On a non stinger fly I can see how they tap the fly / short strike the fly. However, how the hell do they do that on a fly with a stinger hook where the stinger hook is all the way at the tail end of the fly? Whenever I see a coho following my fly, they are always right behind the tail and whenever I've seen em eat it, they eat from the tail end. I was talking to my dad about it and he pointed out that coho nibble off herring with tandem hook rigs. Is it magic?

Nick

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
On a non stinger fly I can see how they tap the fly / short strike the fly. However, how the hell do they do that on a fly with a stinger hook where the stinger hook is all the way at the tail end of the fly? Whenever I see a coho following my fly, they are always right behind the tail and whenever I've seen em eat it, they eat from the tail end. I was talking to my dad about it and he pointed out that coho nibble off herring with tandem hook rigs. Is it magic?

Nick
Yes it is magic. Coho are absolute ninjas at avoiding hooks. Drop the hook further back so it is the furthest thing dangling. It’s the best and really only thing you can do short of finding some coho that really want to play. Nippers are a definite mood.

N. Metz

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yes it is magic. Coho are absolute ninjas at avoiding hooks. Drop the hook further back so it is the furthest thing dangling. It’s the best and really only thing you can do short of finding some coho that really want to play. Nippers are a definite mood.
They certainly are Ninjas. Chinook, pinks, chum, and trout just eat the damn fly for the most part. Coho are by far the most notorious fly tappers / peckers I've ever encountered.